$600 Budget Gaming PC Build Looking Good?

Hello, I've been compiling what I believe is to be a pretty decent build for an upcoming purchase and I first wanted to run it through the way more experience crowd here.
Please note that RAM and the operating system has already been taken care of.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Q2x4f7

You may notice that the processor isn't as strong as you'd expect with an R9 390, however, it is simply meant to get me through at least a year or two of gaming at a minimum of 60 frames per second gaming.

My pressing questions are:
Will the air flow be alright with such a powerful AMD card?
Will the motherboard be strong enough to support this build?
Will the FX 6300 bottleneck the graphics card that badly?
Is this a decent build?
24 answers Last reply
More about 600 budget gaming build good
  1. Buying an expensive video card and then using of bunch of cheap parts for everything else is no way to build a computer. Here's a reliable pc made from good parts that will perform well at 1080P. The Intel i5 rips AMD FX cpu a new one. An SSD will help your computer boot and run much faster. The PSU is enough for almost any video card you want to upgrade to in the future. Add your DDR3 memory and OS.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($75.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial BX100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($61.99 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.78 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked Video Card ($203.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $650.58
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-10 02:36 EDT-0400
  2. Archaic59 said:
    . The Intel i5 rips AMD FX cpu a new one.



    Ok, this is completely off topic, but Ratchet and Clank reference much? xD
  3. Archaic59 said:
    Buying an expensive video card and then using of bunch of cheap parts for everything else is no way to build a computer. Here's a reliable pc made from good parts that will perform well at 1080P. The Intel i5 rips AMD FX cpu a new one. An SSD will help your computer boot and run much faster. The PSU is enough for almost any video card you want to upgrade to in the future. Add your DDR3 memory and OS.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($75.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial BX100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($61.99 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.78 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked Video Card ($203.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $650.58
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-10 02:36 EDT-0400



    This build is a lot better though, with your original build you are just bottlenecking your entire system, you basically chose one of the best GPU's and an "okay" CPU. While the 960 is weaker than r9 390, with the i5 you won't be bottlenecking your system and will actually get a lot better performance.
  4. Actually, I saw quite a few benchmarks, even on tomshardware itself, and the gtx 950 seems like a really viable option if you are looking for 1080p gaming at 60fps. It almost hits gtx 960 performance when you overclock a decent gtx 950 card. If you needed a temporary gpu until you have the cash to get a better one, the gtx 950 is an amazing choice for around $50-60 less than a gtx 960.

    Also you can get a 600w instead of a 750w, just as long as you get a decent efficiency rating, something around 80+Bronze, silver or gold, especially gold.
  5. Agree with sparestuff,

    Would probably go for EVGA GTX950 FTW win FD EDISON M 650W or 750W in case you would upgrade in the future.
  6. hey is saying that 950 is cheaper but i say 960 is the price because you are getting a game too lets suppose it is for $40 and if you buy 950 you dont get the game so there is a $10 difference
  7. The original AMD build is kinda horrible . The mb will catch fie and the psu is marginal for that graphics card .

    An overclocked FX 6300 will not bottleneck a radeon 390 at all .

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($98.00 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($69.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB SOC Video Card ($314.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $654.33
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-10 08:07 EDT-0400

    would work well and let you run any game at 1080p for a couple of years at least , and is going to graphically smash the intel i5 builds with much less powerful graphics cards
  8. Outlander_04 said:
    The original AMD build is kinda horrible . The mb will catch fie and the psu is marginal for that graphics card .

    An overclocked FX 6300 will not bottleneck a radeon 390 at all .

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($98.00 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($69.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB SOC Video Card ($314.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $654.33
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-10 08:07 EDT-0400

    would work well and let you run any game at 1080p for a couple of years at least , and is going to graphically smash the intel i5 builds with much less powerful graphics cards


    Any overclocked AMD FX CPU requires an aftermarket CPU cooler......
    Plus it will bottleneck unless you overclock like crazy, but that's not something I'd do.
    I still prefer the Intel build, it's better overall, with this you're not balancing power correctly and bottlenecking.
  9. Speedstang said:
    Outlander_04 said:
    The original AMD build is kinda horrible . The mb will catch fie and the psu is marginal for that graphics card .

    An overclocked FX 6300 will not bottleneck a radeon 390 at all .

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($98.00 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($69.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB SOC Video Card ($314.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $654.33
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-10 08:07 EDT-0400

    would work well and let you run any game at 1080p for a couple of years at least , and is going to graphically smash the intel i5 builds with much less powerful graphics cards


    Any overclocked AMD FX CPU requires an aftermarket CPU cooler......
    Plus it will bottleneck unless you overclock like crazy, but that's not something I'd do.
    I still prefer the Intel build, it's better overall, with this you're not balancing power correctly and bottlenecking.


    Many people have gotten to 4 GHz with the stock cooler of the FX 6300 . Its noisy though . A cheap options for a better cooler is to fiind anyone who bought an FX 8XXX chip and used an aftermarket cooler . For probably $10 you will definitely hit 4.2 + GHz with one of those .
    And , no , in graphically intensive games the FX will not bottleneck the graphics card .
    http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page6.html
    1 fps difference between an i5 and the FX 6350 [ mild OC of the FX 6300 ]
    So what will actually happen is that buying the i5 cripples your graphics card budget and your gaming computer will perform MUCH worse .
    The AMD is not just a better option its a WAY better option since the R9 390 fits in the budget
  10. Outlander_04 said:


    would work well and let you run any game at 1080p for a couple of years at least , and is going to graphically smash the intel i5 builds with much less powerful graphics cards


    You left out the SSD, resulting in that price.
  11. I simply don't understand these AMD 'apologists'. Intel is clearly a better choice to run better, cooler, quieter and more power efficient. If the given budget does not support an Intel CPU then fine, AMD is better than nothing, but that is the only allowance I'll give them. I'll make a similar analogy as I did the other day. 'Putting a nitrous system on a moped does not make it a motorcycle.'
  12. Well said, Archaic.
  13. Archaic59 said:
    I simply don't understand these AMD 'apologists'. Intel is clearly a better choice to run better, cooler, quieter and more power efficient. If the given budget does not support an Intel CPU then fine, AMD is better than nothing, but that is the only allowance I'll give them. I'll make a similar analogy as I did the other day. 'Putting a nitrous system on a moped does not make it a motorcycle.'


    I simply dont understand the intel "apologists" . AMD is often a better choice even if they run a little hotter and use a fraction more power.
    The FX is a solid gaming choice that will perform on par with intel processors in many online multiplayer games . The intel does have an advantage in older game engines and single player modes but generally this is not what we build gaming computers for.

    Using the i5 and cutting the graphics performance of a pc in half is not a good call for a gamer . In fact its the worst possible call
  14. Quote:
    I simply don't understand these AMD 'apologists'

    Quote:
    I simply dont understand the intel "apologists"


    I simply don't understand 'apologists' of either stripe. Buy and build what works, within the specified budget.
    There is no single answer or platform that is best in every situation.
  15. Thanks everyone for providing a ton of views and expanding my options! I know have a new build based on this. What do you think? Will the power supply be enough?
    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yDkhcf
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yDkhcf/by_merchant/

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($69.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Diamond Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card ($249.95 @ Amazon)
    Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Thermaltake SMART 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Directron)
    Total: $659.19
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-10 22:20 EDT-0400
  16. Good except the Thermaltake is not very good. Also, you have to use 650 watts for r9 290. EVGA 750 B2 is 44.99 after rebate.
  17. After carefully going through, I have determined that it is reaching its final configuration. What do you guys think of this?
    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vm3hcf
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vm3hcf/by_merchant/

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($75.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial BX100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($61.99 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.78 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked Video Card ($213.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $684.59
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-11 02:21 EDT-0400
  18. It's the same build I posted earlier today. :)
  19. Nicolas225 said:


    Build can't even boot. No RAM.

    I'd suggest this; much better performance than a computer that can only fail to post. Also, this build focuses on quality, and not blow-up performance with not as good hardware.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI H81M-E35 V2 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($46.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($57.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $621.72
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-11 02:30 EDT-0400
  20. ^^ Really? You think I can't make a build? I'd forget the memory? He already has memory and OS.
  21. Sorry,I can't quote on mobile.

    @Nicolas225

    That final build looks good, should work perfectly :D
  22. this gr8
  23. Thanks guys for all the help! The parts are shipped and I can't wait!
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel Homebuilt Storage CPUs Gaming PCs Build Strong Graphics Cards Systems