Computer wont POST after replacing RAM

I've literally read through 50+ topics on similar errors and still no solution that has worked for me so here we go;

I started getting BSOD more and more often so after debugging the bluescreens I came to the conclusion that RAM was faulty and alas, after memtest86 I noticed one wasn't working as it should.

Ran computer one day with only 1x4 GB ram and it worked like a charm.

Bought new RAMs today, inserted them into the computer instead of my old ones and powered on the system and there's where I am now. Fans spinning, Dr.debug 00 error on my MOBO, no POST.

Edit: It also does not work anymore with the old RAM that worked yesterday.

Technical info:

MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme4
CPU: i5-3570K
Old RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600MHz CL9
New RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz CL10

----------

- New RAM is compatible according to manufacturer.
- Tested clearing CMOS from button in the back, by removing battery, and by using jumper.
- Only other thing I did except replace old RAM sticks with new is take off Heat sink (212) and put it back in since it's in the way of me pulling out one of the RAMs.
- Now also tested without GPU using integrated graphics, same error.
16 answers Last reply
More about computer wont post replacing ram
  1. Boot into BIOS and set it up, especially the memory speed and timings. That i5 might have problems with anything higher that 1600GHz. Might have to OC the CPU some too to get the advertised speed from the memory.
  2. spooky2th said:
    Boot into BIOS and set it up, especially the memory speed and timings. That i5 might have problems with anything higher that 1600GHz. Might have to OC the CPU some too to get the advertised speed from the memory.


    How can I get into BIOS? My problem at the moment is that neither the old nor the new RAM can get any life into my monitor anymore
  3. make sure the evo 212 cooler not on to tight and is shorting out the cpu. (bend the lin in and short the cpu out). also check that none of the cpu paste is on the cpu pins and the cpu is still locked down. use one ram stick see if the rig will post. also make sure on the mb 4/8 pin atx power cable is connected.
  4. All ram will have a default speed(1333) that will let you get into the bios.

    1. Is it possible that you have a bad ram slot on your motherboard?
    Can you test the single known good stick in the various ram slots to see if it will post?

    2. Make certain that the ram is seated properly. It sometimes takes more force than you think to get the ram fully seated.

    3. Read the motherboard manual. There should be instructions as to which slot a single stick should be inserted.
    Try each stick in that slot. If the 212 is getting in the way, use the stock intel cooler while you are experimenting.

    4. It is always possible that the new ram is defective also.
    Since your ram is supported, you might contact Kingston support.
  5. smorizio said:
    make sure the evo 212 cooler not on to tight and is shorting out the cpu. (bend the lin in and short the cpu out). also check that none of the cpu paste is on the cpu pins and the cpu is still locked down. use one ram stick see if the rig will post. also make sure on the mb 4/8 pin atx power cable is connected.


    Forgot to mention, now using stock cooler for testing since its easier to mount and dismount, it should not be to tight. Had the evo 212 earlier and that one can go pretty tight. What should I look for if there is a risk I clammed my evo 212 on too hard on the CPU?

    Also, no cpu paste on any pins, cable is connected, only using one ram stick and still a no-go.
  6. geofelt said:
    All ram will have a default speed(1333) that will let you get into the bios.

    1. Is it possible that you have a bad ram slot on your motherboard?
    Can you test the single known good stick in the various ram slots to see if it will post?

    2. Make certain that the ram is seated properly. It sometimes takes more force than you think to get the ram fully seated.

    3. Read the motherboard manual. There should be instructions as to which slot a single stick should be inserted.
    Try each stick in that slot. If the 212 is getting in the way, use the stock intel cooler while you are experimenting.

    4. It is always possible that the new ram is defective also.
    Since your ram is supported, you might contact Kingston support.


    1. Tested all slots with both the old working one and one of the new, no results.

    2. Yes, clicks up and down.

    3. Yea its the one furthest away and primarily testing on that except for when running the RAMs through all slots.

    4. I still think my old one should run?
  7. do ths take off the stock cooler...open the cpu clip and lightly press down on the cpu make sure the cpu was not pulled off the pins. if there still no post....take the mb out of the case to rule out a shorted mb or part. use just the onboard video and one ram stick. try clearing the cmos.
  8. smorizio said:
    do ths take off the stock cooler...open the cpu clip and lightly press down on the cpu make sure the cpu was not pulled off the pins. if there still no post....take the mb out of the case to rule out a shorted mb or part. use just the onboard video and one ram stick. try clearing the cmos.


    Taking of mb and testing it asap.
  9. Be very careful.
    DO NOT smoosh the cpu around in the socket, or you will bend a socket pin.
    A bent pin can cause your symptoms.

    If you think that might be the cause, remove the cpu from the socket and examine the pins very carefully. Bent pins will need to be repaired at about $50. It is never covered under warranty.
    The cpu drops in without force or wiggle.
    If the pins are bent, you can try to fix them, but it is not easy, and you are looking at a new motherboard.
  10. smorizio said:
    do ths take off the stock cooler...open the cpu clip and lightly press down on the cpu make sure the cpu was not pulled off the pins. if there still no post....take the mb out of the case to rule out a shorted mb or part. use just the onboard video and one ram stick. try clearing the cmos.


    Im testing mb + cpu and one RAM outside of case now. Same problem persists. I'm starting to lean towards me pressing the evo 212 way to ward against the processor when I had some issues getting it in place, But I don't see any issues with my eyes atleast on the socket pins/processor.
  11. bumping
  12. AlexanderG said:
    bumping

    Please, no bumping.
    If you have new info, post it.
  13. geofelt said:
    AlexanderG said:
    bumping

    Please, no bumping.
    If you have new info, post it.


    Got it.

    Tested my CPU in friends setup and it tried to start over and over but nothing past that (i.e. computer got power for 1 sec, silence 4 sec, power 1 sec, and so on)

    I'm considering sending both mb and cpu back and getting new generation cpu and mb that suits that....

    Edit: - This setup have worked for 3 years now..
    - Is it possible PSU also is broken?
  14. Sounds like the cpu is broken.
    It has a 3 year warranty, if it still is under warranty, Intel will replace it.
  15. geofelt said:
    Sounds like the cpu is broken.
    It has a 3 year warranty, if it still is under warranty, Intel will replace it.


    How big of a chance that mb also is?

    Any reason why my mb is giving dr.debug 00 error (asrock thing), and my friends mb is just repeatedly trying to boot

    Edit: Fun fact, 3 years 1 week ago it is bought.
    Edit2: Friend had Asus mb without any easy way (LED) to debug
  16. Not so much fun; but
    You have a good argument that the failure occurred more than a week ago.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards RAM CPUs Computers Systems