Video slows down, sound slows down and distorts and screen goes black while playing games or watching video

I've been having trouble lately with crashes that occur while either playing a game or watching video. The game or video will slow down drastically, the audio will slow down and distort, and eventually the screen will go black and the monitor will switch to standby mode. I have to manually hard reset my computer each time,

First, I realize my system is old so please don't laugh too hard. My system is:
Q6600
EVGA 680i SLI
8 Gigs of DDR2 800 RAM
MSI 560ti Twin Frozr
1.5 TB Seagate HDD
750w Thermaltake Toughpower PSU
Creative X-Fi Fatality Soundcard

I've checked temps and while not arctic, all seem to be in normal ranges. To the best of my knowledge all of my drivers and BIOS is up to date. But I cannot for the life of me determine what's causing this repeated issue. Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about video slows sound slows distorts screen black playing games watching video
  1. I hate being the guy to bump his own thread, but I'm really struggling to figure this one out. I would appreciate any possible advice.
  2. crober51 said:
    I hate being the guy to bump his own thread, but I'm really struggling to figure this one out. I would appreciate any possible advice.


    I've been having a very similar problem, and i'm unfortunately using an even older rig than your own.

    My specs are;
    Q6600
    A-Bit Fatality 650i
    Gainward GTX 470 GS
    6GB of DDR2 800 RAM
    620 W Corsair PSU

    It all started a couple of months ago, while using Win 7. I would get repeated "driver failed and recovered" messages while gaming, and even sometimes while just using chrome, etc.

    But last week I upgraded to Win 10 (clean install) and since then the same problem has been causing black screen, with weird sound distortions. I know it's the same problem as when i've checked event viewer it shows the 'driver failed and recovered' messages, but now they're obviously not recovering, giving me black screen and forcing to hard reset.

    After many months searching all corners of the web, and trying every software 'fix' under the sun, I have come to the conclusion that it is just a faulty GPU. I unfortunately don't have another to try, nor the money to purchase a new one for the time being.

    After reading your post, I expect your problem is the same as mine.

    Sucks to be us.
  3. RandomHero818 said:
    crober51 said:
    I hate being the guy to bump his own thread, but I'm really struggling to figure this one out. I would appreciate any possible advice.


    I've been having a very similar problem, and i'm unfortunately using an even older rig than your own.

    My specs are;
    Q6600
    A-Bit Fatality 650i
    Gainward GTX 470 GS
    6GB of DDR2 800 RAM
    620 W Corsair PSU

    It all started a couple of months ago, while using Win 7. I would get repeated "driver failed and recovered" messages while gaming, and even sometimes while just using chrome, etc.

    But last week I upgraded to Win 10 (clean install) and since then the same problem has been causing black screen, with weird sound distortions. I know it's the same problem as when i've checked event viewer it shows the 'driver failed and recovered' messages, but now they're obviously not recovering, giving me black screen and forcing to hard reset.

    After many months searching all corners of the web, and trying every software 'fix' under the sun, I have come to the conclusion that it is just a faulty GPU. I unfortunately don't have another to try, nor the money to purchase a new one for the time being.

    After reading your post, I expect your problem is the same as mine.

    Sucks to be us.


    My guess is you are right. The only other thing I can come up with is a bad PSU, but when I tested it with a DMM my readings came back normal. And like you, I'm not currently in the position to throw money at this thing haphazardly in the hopes that something works. Oh well, I guess no gaming or movie watching on the computer for a while. Here's hoping the wife decides I can upgrade for Christmas/Birthday in a few months.
  4. crober51 said:
    RandomHero818 said:
    crober51 said:
    I hate being the guy to bump his own thread, but I'm really struggling to figure this one out. I would appreciate any possible advice.


    I've been having a very similar problem, and i'm unfortunately using an even older rig than your own.

    My specs are;
    Q6600
    A-Bit Fatality 650i
    Gainward GTX 470 GS
    6GB of DDR2 800 RAM
    620 W Corsair PSU

    It all started a couple of months ago, while using Win 7. I would get repeated "driver failed and recovered" messages while gaming, and even sometimes while just using chrome, etc.

    But last week I upgraded to Win 10 (clean install) and since then the same problem has been causing black screen, with weird sound distortions. I know it's the same problem as when i've checked event viewer it shows the 'driver failed and recovered' messages, but now they're obviously not recovering, giving me black screen and forcing to hard reset.

    After many months searching all corners of the web, and trying every software 'fix' under the sun, I have come to the conclusion that it is just a faulty GPU. I unfortunately don't have another to try, nor the money to purchase a new one for the time being.

    After reading your post, I expect your problem is the same as mine.

    Sucks to be us.


    My guess is you are right. The only other thing I can come up with is a bad PSU, but when I tested it with a DMM my readings came back normal. And like you, I'm not currently in the position to throw money at this thing haphazardly in the hopes that something works. Oh well, I guess no gaming or movie watching on the computer for a while. Here's hoping the wife decides I can upgrade for Christmas/Birthday in a few months.


    That's is an indication that your GPU is either overheating or losing power momentarily.

    Just go to best buy and buy a gpu and a psu. Diagnose the problem accordingly. Find the one that fixes your problem.

    Buy the needed part off newegg/amazon and when it arrives return the other parts to best buy (all that store is good for anyhow.)
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Power Supplies Games Components Driver Failure