Solved

$600-700 Pc upgrade?

Hi!

I wanted to upgrade my current Gaming pc, I have a budget of $600-700.
Right now I was thinking about the Evga Gtx 970 and the i5 4590. I would really appreciate someone else's opinion.
Thank you so much in advance!

Approximate Purchase Date: A month or so

Budget Range: $600-700

System Usage:Gaming, Video Editing.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Mobo, CPU, Gpu

Do you need to buy OS: no

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Whatever is the best.

Location: Eugene, OR. US

Parts Preferences: I would prefer to stick to Intel. And a Nvidia gpu.

Overclocking: Maybe (More than likely not)

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080p

Additional Comments: Black Ops 2, Black Ops 3, Rainbow Six Siege, Davinci Resolve, Advanced Warfare.

Why Are You Upgrading: Just feel like its time to upgrade. Was having trouble running Advance Warfare.

Current Pc Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge Dual-Core 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W BX80623I32120 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000

Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2, CPU Cooler - Intel & AMD, Multi-Directional Mount, 92mm PWM Fan

GPU: PowerColor Radeon HD 7850 AX7850 2GBD5-DH 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 TR-600 600W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
35 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 600 700 upgrade
  1. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rhcbgs

    A 970 would do good too. The 390 and 970 are both very good cards getting about the same FPS @ 1080p. The 390 will win above that.
  2. Best answer
    the 390 is better than the gtx 970 also the mobo is an can auto overclock for you just buy a cooler master 212 evo later on. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gvJMNG
  3. I was thinking of going with this. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3sM3D3 since I'm probably not going to overclock.

    Do you guys think i'll regret not getting the i5 4690k?
    And also if i'm getting the R9 390 do you think I should upgrade my psu?

    Thank you guys for you help!
  4. IDude said:
    I was thinking of going with this. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3sM3D3 since I'm probably not going to overclock.

    Do you guys think i'll regret not getting the i5 4690k?
    And also if i'm getting the R9 390 do you think I should upgrade my psu?

    Thank you guys for you help!


    what is your current psu and also no you will not regert not getting the 4690k
  5. Wazero said:
    IDude said:
    I was thinking of going with this. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3sM3D3 since I'm probably not going to overclock.

    Do you guys think i'll regret not getting the i5 4690k?
    And also if i'm getting the R9 390 do you think I should upgrade my psu?

    Thank you guys for you help!


    what is your current psu and also no you will not regert not getting the 4690k


    Its this one. Thermaltake TR2 W0388RU 600W ATX 12V v2.2 Power Supply and would you recommend a different mobo?
  6. IDude said:
    Wazero said:
    IDude said:
    I was thinking of going with this. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3sM3D3 since I'm probably not going to overclock.

    Do you guys think i'll regret not getting the i5 4690k?
    And also if i'm getting the R9 390 do you think I should upgrade my psu?

    Thank you guys for you help!


    what is your current psu and also no you will not regert not getting the 4690k


    Its this one. Thermaltake TR2 W0388RU 600W ATX 12V v2.2 Power Supply and would you recommend a different mobo?


    get an evga 600 80+ bronze that is more than enough to run a 390, but if your trying to save money you could get the xfx r9 290 for 270 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150701&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
  7. If i wanted to save a little more money would the GTX 960 be good for 1080p gaming?
  8. The R9 380 4GB would be best for 1080p gaming.
  9. I really appreciate your guys help.

    Since I'm gaming at 1080p and have no plans to upgrade monitors anytime soon, I decided to go with the r9 380. (And save a little money)

    What do you guys think of this? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bNfhpg
    Is the PSU upgrade no longer needed since I'm going with the 380?
  10. IDude said:
    I really appreciate your guys help.

    Since I'm gaming at 1080p and have no plans to upgrade monitors anytime soon, I decided to go with the r9 380. (And save a little money)

    What do you guys think of this? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bNfhpg
    Is the PSU upgrade no longer needed since I'm going with the 380?


    the link was blink did you save the part list yet
  11. OK I fixed it.

    And one more question. What's the best r9 380 manufacturer?
  12. it's still blank save it the go back in to it and get the new link
  13. nm, also if your not geting an i5 4690k why are you getting that mobo
  14. List

    Sorry about that.
  15. What mobo would you recommend I get?
  16. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/wazero/saved/8RJWGX here's a new part list best if your trying to save money but do you want to upgrade in the future?
  17. I would prefer not too.

    I mainly play Fps games like CoD(Gonna pick up Rainbow Six Siege, Battle front, and bo3 this year) So I was thinking I didn't need to get a top of the line gpu since I wouldnt be playing that graphics intense games.
  18. Wazero why are you suggesting a crap power supply and a locked chip with a z97 motherboard?
  19. MasterDell said:
    Wazero why are you suggesting a crap power supply and a locked chip with a z97 motherboard?


    the reason why a suggesting a locked chip at first was to save him money,also the power supply is not crap it's a decent power supply. also the mobo is of he wants to upgrade to an i5 4690k later but i think it will be best for him to get it now
  20. So the r9 380 would be enough for the gaming I do, but you would recommend that i get the i5 4690k over the 4590?
  21. IDude said:
    So the r9 380 would be enough for the gaming I do, but you would recommend that i get the i5 4690k over the 4590?


    honestly the 5490 will still allow you to max out games if you get a better gpu, but the i5 4690k will last you longer only if you overclock it. if you have no plans on overcolcking i say get 4590, and the r9 380 4gb will allow you to play games at high to ultra. also if you don't plan on overclocking you could go a step down with the mobo and get a better gpu
  22. A 4590 to a 4690k is by no means an upgrade.

    A 4590 to a 4790k is. You don't even need to overclock it. And overclocking on an anniversary board is barely even possible.

    The 500B is not a "decent" power supply. Not for the price, at least.

    Not to mention that the R9 380 requires a 550W PSU.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9

    The above is a power supply which is great and can handle the 380. Not saying that the 500B can't. The fact that you get a PSU that will likely only last you 1 build is kind of sad. The XFX is good enough to last you atleast two. Depending on the hardware you go with in your next rig.

    Remember, you get what you pay for. Not just with PSU's but GPU's too. a 390 will last you a very long time. A 380, meh, maybe 2 years.
  23. MasterDell said:
    A 4590 to a 4690k is by no means an upgrade.

    A 4590 to a 4790k is. You don't even need to overclock it. And overclocking on an anniversary board is barely even possible.

    The 500B is not a "decent" power supply. Not for the price, at least.

    Not to mention that the R9 380 requires a 550W PSU.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9

    The above is a power supply which is great and can handle the 380. Not saying that the 500B can't. The fact that you get a PSU that will likely only last you 1 build is kind of sad. The XFX is good enough to last you atleast two. Depending on the hardware you go with in your next rig.

    Remember, you get what you pay for. Not just with PSU's but GPU's too. a 390 will last you a very long time. A 380, meh, maybe 2 years.


    i agree with most of what you said but the 380 does not require a 550w psu. the psu need is all about what parts you use for your build. you can run it just fine with the evga 500w (though getting a 600w couldn't hurt) Also the psu is decent i know people who have just upgraded their pc after having it for about 3-4 years and and have the same psu I recommanded
  24. but i agree with you that he should get the psu you suggested snice the build for editing. also here's the new mobo i chose for you http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157564&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
  25. Now you're just lying.. The 500B has been out for barely 2 years but now your friends have reused it for 3-4?

    Yes it does require that: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
  26. MasterDell said:
    Now you're just lying.. The 500B has been out for barely 2 years but now your friends have reused it for 3-4?

    Yes it does require that: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm


    http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-radeon-r9-380-strix-review,5.html that's how much power the card uses. under full load it will not require 550 if your cpu and other componets dosen't take alot of power

    Also I just talk to him and your right he told me he bought it back in 2013 and i was a dumbass for saying that so i do apolize, if you can please forgive me for spreading flase information i would appreciate it.
  27. So you're saying the extra $100 to get the 390 would be worth it in the future?
  28. IDude said:
    So you're saying the extra $100 to get the 390 would be worth it in the future?


    i would get the 390
  29. IDude said:
    So you're saying the extra $100 to get the 390 would be worth it in the future?

    Absolutely. The GTX 970 would be a great option too. Benchmarks show that they will beat eachother in different games.
  30. Two more questions.

    I've had the [https://pcpartpicker.com/part/thermaltake-power-supply-w0388ru for 2-3 years and it's been running fine. Would you guys still recommend I get a better one if i'm going with the R9 380/Gtx 960?

    And if I could get the Gtx 960 for $30ish less then the r9 380 would that be worth it?
  31. If you can get the 2GB GTX960 for $30 less than the 2GB r9 380, go for it. But I suggest getting the 4GB one. It's a pretty great card and will last you longer than both the 2GB 380 and GTX 960. Games are only going to be increasing their use of VRAM. I still think a 970/390 would be the best option though.

    If you would like to go with that PSU you already have, be my guest. But when it damages your entire system costing you a lot more than a new PSU, just remember MasterDell said "I told you so". :P
  32. MasterDell said:
    If you can get the 2GB GTX960 for $30 less than the 2GB r9 380, go for it. But I suggest getting the 4GB one. It's a pretty great card and will last you longer than both the 2GB 380 and GTX 960. Games are only going to be increasing their use of VRAM. I still think a 970/390 would be the best option though.

    If you would like to go with that PSU you already have, be my guest. But when it damages your entire system costing you a lot more than a new PSU, just remember MasterDell said "I told you so". :P


    Sorry to bother you again, but I just thought about this alternate option.

    Right now i have a 1155 motherboard and an i3-2120.

    What if I just upgraded my Cpu to a i5-3570 (probably used on ebay) and I bought the Gtx 970/R9 390 vs Upgrading my Mobo and Cpu to 1150 and going with the R9 380?

    Both options would be around the same price.

    So its either

    i5-3570 (Or other socket 1155 cpu) *used/refurbished
    ASRock H61M-GE LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard (Current Mobo)
    Gtx 970/R9 390


    Or

    i5 4590
    ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    R9 380
  33. Absolutely the 3570 and the R9 390. Just make sure you get the power supply I recommended before. The 620W one.
  34. IDude said:
    MasterDell said:
    If you can get the 2GB GTX960 for $30 less than the 2GB r9 380, go for it. But I suggest getting the 4GB one. It's a pretty great card and will last you longer than both the 2GB 380 and GTX 960. Games are only going to be increasing their use of VRAM. I still think a 970/390 would be the best option though.

    If you would like to go with that PSU you already have, be my guest. But when it damages your entire system costing you a lot more than a new PSU, just remember MasterDell said "I told you so". :P


    Sorry to bother you again, but I just thought about this alternate option.

    Right now i have a 1155 motherboard and an i3-2120.

    What if I just upgraded my Cpu to a i5-3570 (probably used on ebay) and I bought the Gtx 970/R9 390 vs Upgrading my Mobo and Cpu to 1150 and going with the R9 380?

    Both options would be around the same price.

    So its either

    i5-3570 (Or other socket 1155 cpu) *used/refurbished
    ASRock H61M-GE LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard (Current Mobo)
    Gtx 970/R9 390


    Or

    i5 4590
    ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    R9 380


    yeah that would be fine
    also here's an i3 3330 i found for 120http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-SR0RQ-CORE-i5-3330-QUAD-CORE-3-0GHz-6M-L3-CACHE-5GT-s-LGA1155-CPU-/331629142708?hash=item4d36a322b4

    here's a video of what you can expect from this build https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIYbQPul2bY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2_48GxZCPs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bskljdtCXRk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arlBHLpfmfU
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Systems