Sapphire R9 390X keeps on crashing (Driver recovered by windows)

After playing around with this card for about 10 days , It keeps crashing, I've tried the following and it keeps freezing for few seconds and then pop-up the "display stopped responding and recovered" notification by windows:

DISCLAIMER 1 : I had nvidia gtx 760 before and it worked fine.
DISCLAIMER 2 : It crashed only during regular work or surfing the web (Chrome and not Firefox) , it also occurred once in GTA V and CoD AW dosan't work at all as it always crashed. (All other games work
perfectly fine such as ARMA3 / BF4 / FIFA 15 / Shadow Of Mordor)

1) I've tried the previous driver 15.7 on windows 7 64bit pro and it doesn't work. (CoD AW worked on win 7 just fine, it even capped by the game limitation of 91 FPS)
2) I've upgraded to the new driver on windows 7 (15.7.1) and the issue remains. (CoD AW worked on win 7 just fine)
3) I've upgraded to windows 10 64bit Pro (not clean install), and yet the issue remains and even worse. (CoD AW stopped working, crashing right upon login (few seconds and BAMMMM) )
4) Reimage the whole PC (formatted it / clean installation of win 10), and the issue remains.

It happens intermittently , I can't point for something specific but CoD AW which will cause an immediate crash.

Please help, I'm tired already !!!

My specs (cooler master cm storm scout 2 with 5 fans):
i7-4790K
Gigabyte Z87-HD3
G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB 1600 Mhz
Kingston SSD 120GB
WD Black 3TB
WD Green 2TB
Sapphire R9 390X 8GB TRI-X
Seasonic X-Series 750W 80+ GOLD

PLEASE NOTE : Nothing overclocked ever, all stock from day 1. I am not an overclock savvy/fan
44 answers Last reply
More about sapphire 390x crashing driver recovered windows
  1. It seems that windows 10 update resolved the issue for me :D
    Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081424)
  2. I have the same issues with an R9 390 Gaming. CoD AW blackscreens or crashes before I can get a minute of play. I have Windows 7 so I'm sort of stuck without a solution.
  3. Same issue with an R9 390, it only seems to happen playing the rainbow 6 siege beta. Hope they fix the drivers soon, or Ubisoft fixes their game. Not much I can do about it.
  4. I had a gtx 970 for 11 months and I replaced it with an Asus R9 390 Strix thinking this is going to fly right outta the box. It black screened and crashed like a drug using rock star. Blacks screen could be related to power problems, so I checked Tom's Hardware to make sure I had the right power supply unit (psu). So I reloaded the drivers and it kept on crashing. ? So I Googled the error codes and downloaded any Window fixes. ?! It still crashed.
    I ended up doing a number of things by other users. Mostly getting rid of old video driver fragments hanging out in the directory and registry. I used a game optimizer from my Nvidia card and that junk had to be root out and any memory of it.
    Ran a disk cleanup, antivirus scan first, an antispyware and an antimalware program just to make sure it was clean.
    I first reloaded my old video drivers, game(s) and used a free copy of Revo Uninstaller from Bleeping Computer to uninstall them. I used the 'delete all' feature at the finish and got rid of the stuff in the path, registry files and directory. Removed my Steam games, too (Nvidia optimized) (Steam keeps my game settings).
    Then I opened C: drive to 'Users' (under my computer name)\AppData\Roaming and deleted the Nivida files in there. Went into Program Files, Program files (x86) and Program Data to delete any Nvidia files. then cloesd them.
    Careful with this one. In 'search' box, Type 'regedit', window opens. To left panel of window, clicked the folder, 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER and extended the drop list. Open 'Software' and removed the Nvidia file. Close it and do the same for 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE , Software and remove Nvidia files. Do the same for 'HKEY_USERS' and 'HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG'. Closed the all files and the drop down list, then restarted the computer.
    Updated my Chipset first then the Bios. Repaired DirectX. Used 'check disk' or 'scan now' to fix any Windows 7 files damaged. Installed the current AMD video drivers. Restarted it and ran a defrag program. Reloaded the game and restarted it.
    Hurrah. No black screen or crashes.
    Yeah, it was a lot of work. Out of all of this, I know not one thing I did that was 'the master fix'. But these old video driver parts deep inside the computer needed to be removed. Also, when I play graphic intensive games, I make sure the AMD video card fans are running at least 60%.
    Hope this helps.
  5. Rexer said:
    I had a gtx 970 for 11 months and I replaced it with an Asus R9 390 Strix thinking this is going to fly right outta the box. It black screened and crashed like a drug using rock star. Blacks screen could be related to power problems, so I checked Tom's Hardware to make sure I had the right power supply unit (psu). So I reloaded the drivers and it kept on crashing. ? So I Googled the error codes and downloaded any Window fixes. ?! It still crashed.
    I ended up doing a number of things by other users. Mostly getting rid of old video driver fragments hanging out in the directory and registry. I used a game optimizer from my Nvidia card and that junk had to be root out and any memory of it.
    Ran a disk cleanup, antivirus scan first, an antispyware and an antimalware program just to make sure it was clean.
    I first reloaded my old video drivers, game(s) and used a free copy of Revo Uninstaller from Bleeping Computer to uninstall them. I used the 'delete all' feature at the finish and got rid of the stuff in the path, registry files and directory. Removed my Steam games, too (Nvidia optimized) (Steam keeps my game settings).
    Then I opened C: drive to 'Users' (under my computer name)\AppData\Roaming and deleted the Nivida files in there. Went into Program Files, Program files (x86) and Program Data to delete any Nvidia files. then cloesd them.
    Careful with this one. In 'search' box, Type 'regedit', window opens. To left panel of window, clicked the folder, 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER and extended the drop list. Open 'Software' and removed the Nvidia file. Close it and do the same for 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE , Software and remove Nvidia files. Do the same for 'HKEY_USERS' and 'HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG'. Closed the all files and the drop down list, then restarted the computer.
    Updated my Chipset first then the Bios. Repaired DirectX. Used 'check disk' or 'scan now' to fix any Windows 7 files damaged. Installed the current AMD video drivers. Restarted it and ran a defrag program. Reloaded the game and restarted it.
    Hurrah. No black screen or crashes.
    Yeah, it was a lot of work. Out of all of this, I know not one thing I did that was 'the master fix'. But these old video driver parts deep inside the computer needed to be removed. Also, when I play graphic intensive games, I make sure the AMD video card fans are running at least 60%.
    Hope this helps.


    Having these crashes in win 7 64 as well. Will try removing all Nvidia drivers and then defrag. Booting is also taking a lot of time even though I installed 24 GB RAM.
  6. Like I mentioned earlier, there was no real 'master fix' for me. It was like weeding out the backyard (ugh). I Googled a number of places where ever I could find a solution. Some people found Windows 10 was a cure and worked for them. I wanted to still use Windows 7.
    Some things I'm repeating here to better explain what I did to get my Windows 7 computer to stop crashing. Most of the faults were old Nvidia drivers, programs and games that were optimized by Nvidia tweaks. They were like a disease and really crippled AMD drivers. It's like, old Nvidia drivers are meant to sabotage the use of any AMD drivers. I removed the all the Steam games because they've been optimized to run on Nvidia. I later reloaded them.
    I removed all Nvidia related programs like EVGA Precision and Nvidia GeForce Experience. Then I removed CoD AW, Hawken and all the games I played in Steam and Steam itself. Steam remembers your password so your earned game goodies don't evaporate. However, it will reset to default game settings. Not a big deal.
    Once I cleaned everything out, I went into HKEY to remove Nvidia folders. You want to be careful in Regedit not click and delete other folders.
    To get there go to Start> search box> type Regedit> (it opens Regedit window)> on the left sidebar of window, click the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT folder. Folder will drop down> scroll and look for any Nvidia folders> delete them. Close folder and click HKEY_CURRENT_USERS folder and do the same. Do that for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, etc. Close them and exit.
    Look for any Nvidia folders in Computer> Local Disk C: drive> Program Files & (86) and remove any Nvidia files. Close the folders and .scroll down to Users> your name> AppData> Roaming> remove any Nvidia files in there.
    To repair Direct X 11 (you are probably running DX12) The path is Start> search box> type Dxdiag> Check over info> run Dxdiag 64bit.
    Crashes sometimes jacks Windows. Depending on how many times Windows (7) crashed, it's wise to run a disk scan to repair windows. Window 8 or 10 may be the same.
    In Computer> right click C: drive> window opens. At the bottom of window, click properties> opens window> click 'Tools' tab> Error Checking> click the 'Check Now' button> Check Local Disk C window opens. Check both boxes, 'Automatically fix file system errors & Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. >window opens> click "Start' button.
    You can Defrag your C: drive in 'Tools'. Keeps everything together for the drive.
    Reinstall AMD drivers, reinstall Steam, reinstall games. You may want to turn up your fans to idle 35% or better at idle.
    Call of Duty Advanced Warfare is a real fickle game. Some game sites say Activison put it out on a deadline and continued working on the bugs after release. Really, it's their guess. At least Sledgehammer is trying to fix CoD AW in updates so that can't be a bad thing.
    I did try to use a 30 day trial of Revo Uninsatller I found at 'Bleeping Computer'. Yes, it did find the major paths.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/
    If you plan to use this, you may have to reload the old Nvidia drivers first, so Revo Uninstaller can detect the root paths. Let me explain this.
    Revo Uninstaller will show the computer's inventory such as in 'Program and Features'. If you're not seeing Nvidia or related programs, you'll want to reload the Nvidia drivers and then use the Revo Uninstaller. Sometimes it can't see the traces and paths into the registry & directories because the main Nvidia programs have been uninstalled earlier.
    Yeah, it was a bit of a learning curve. Hope this helps.
  7. Rexer said:
    Like I mentioned earlier, there was no real 'master fix' for me. It was like weeding out the backyard (ugh). I Googled a number of places where ever I could find a solution. Some people found Windows 10 was a cure and worked for them. I wanted to still use Windows 7.
    Some things I'm repeating here to better explain what I did to get my Windows 7 computer to stop crashing. Most of the faults were old Nvidia drivers, programs and games that were optimized by Nvidia tweaks. They were like a disease and really crippled AMD drivers. It's like, old Nvidia drivers are meant to sabotage the use of any AMD drivers. I removed the all the Steam games because they've been optimized to run on Nvidia. I later reloaded them.
    I removed all Nvidia related programs like EVGA Precision and Nvidia GeForce Experience. Then I removed CoD AW, Hawken and all the games I played in Steam and Steam itself. Steam remembers your password so your earned game goodies don't evaporate. However, it will reset to default game settings. Not a big deal.
    Once I cleaned everything out, I went into HKEY to remove Nvidia folders. You want to be careful in Regedit not click and delete other folders.
    To get there go to Start> search box> type Regedit> (it opens Regedit window)> on the left sidebar of window, click the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT folder. Folder will drop down> scroll and look for any Nvidia folders> delete them. Close folder and click HKEY_CURRENT_USERS folder and do the same. Do that for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, etc. Close them and exit.
    Look for any Nvidia folders in Computer> Local Disk C: drive> Program Files & (86) and remove any Nvidia files. Close the folders and .scroll down to Users> your name> AppData> Roaming> remove any Nvidia files in there.
    To repair Direct X 11 (you are probably running DX12) The path is Start> search box> type Dxdiag> Check over info> run Dxdiag 64bit.
    Crashes sometimes jacks Windows. Depending on how many times Windows (7) crashed, it's wise to run a disk scan to repair windows. Window 8 or 10 may be the same.
    In Computer> right click C: drive> window opens. At the bottom of window, click properties> opens window> click 'Tools' tab> Error Checking> click the 'Check Now' button> Check Local Disk C window opens. Check both boxes, 'Automatically fix file system errors & Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. >window opens> click "Start' button.
    You can Defrag your C: drive in 'Tools'. Keeps everything together for the drive.
    Reinstall AMD drivers, reinstall Steam, reinstall games. You may want to turn up your fans to idle 35% or better at idle.
    Call of Duty Advanced Warfare is a real fickle game. Some game sites say Activison put it out on a deadline and continued working on the bugs after release. Really, it's their guess. At least Sledgehammer is trying to fix CoD AW in updates so that can't be a bad thing.
    I did try to use a 30 day trial of Revo Uninsatller I found at 'Bleeping Computer'. Yes, it did find the major paths.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/
    If you plan to use this, you may have to reload the old Nvidia drivers first, so Revo Uninstaller can detect the root paths. Let me explain this.
    Revo Uninstaller will show the computer's inventory such as in 'Program and Features'. If you're not seeing Nvidia or related programs, you'll want to reload the Nvidia drivers and then use the Revo Uninstaller. Sometimes it can't see the traces and paths into the registry & directories because the main Nvidia programs have been uninstalled earlier.
    Yeah, it was a bit of a learning curve. Hope this helps.


    Yes I have done that, used cc cleaner instead of revo, removed Nvdiia folders manually in the registry.

    Did defrag.

    Installed the Beta 15.10 drivers and now it is working great. No more crashes.

    My sapphire is also a power hog, so in after burner I had to increase the power limit to max. I am not getting any more artefacts while rendering with blender.

    BTW 15.11 Beta drivers were released any one else having problem should try those.
  8. Glad you got it working. Nice machine.
  9. So what was the solution? I been working on this for weeks now... Have studied many forums for help and have tried many "solutions". All have failed. Im going crazy here.
  10. These are the three solutions:

    Uninstall all AMD and Nvidia Drivers using graphic driver uninstall utility from guru3d.com

    Root out all the drivers entries from registery by manually searching.

    Defrag you system drive

    Then install amd beta latest drivers in normal mode. You should get a low resolution monitor screen when installing, other wise some traces of old driver is still there.

    While installing AMD it will give you an option of viewing at higher resolution.

    If this does't work, install after burner and fix power limit of your GPU to max.

    Use latest 15.11 beta drivers from AMD.
  11. r9 390 is the same card with r9 290 but with higher gpu clock and same voltage, there a way to solve this problem
    1. downclock gpu & GPU boost perform like r9 290 or
    2. up voltage / power limit

    use bios editor then flash it with edited bios ...
  12. Newnie said:
    So what was the solution? I been working on this for weeks now... Have studied many forums for help and have tried many "solutions". All have failed. Im going crazy here.


    In my case, there was no one solution. It was a culmination of corrections, updates and eliminations. I switched video cards (from Nvidia to AMD) and had constant crashing. I needed to remove the drivers and traces of the old drivers, overclocking programs, game optimizers and games. These things conflicted with AMD drivers.
    Are you using Windows Defender and an anti-virus program (Avast! , McAfee, AVG, etc. )? Turn-off Defender. They're both doing the same task. Same with Windows Firewall and a third party one (like Zone Alarm). You only need one. Running two scan programs slows down computer processes and can crash graphic intense games.
    Clean out your temp files, and run a registry fix (Ccleaner). Run an anti-malware and then a anti-spyware program. Check the task manager for programs like Akamai NetSessions Client and get rid of it. Akamai uses your computer as a network relay station stealing your resources.
    I even removed and later reloaded Steam and Steam games. I did this because the crashing jacked up games like CoD AW. I'm not so sure how game optimizers work but some gamers believe it becomes part of the game program. I removed to clean out all the games and reloaded them. Steam will reload your games when asked, so why not? Just don't forget your passwords.
    Direct X needed to be fixed and didn't see the new ATI (WHQL) signatures so the AMD drivers needed to be updated (You may need to test the current AMD driver or the Beta).
    After multiple crashes, Windows (7) became damaged and needed a Check Disk scan (other names -Check Now, Scan Disk, chkdsk) to fix the the files. It might be a good idea to defrag afterwards.
    It took a while to do all this. I don't know of one fix that was the main cure.
    Hope this helps.
  13. Sunny Kapoor said:
    Rexer said:
    Like I mentioned earlier, there was no real 'master fix' for me. It was like weeding out the backyard (ugh). I Googled a number of places where ever I could find a solution. Some people found Windows 10 was a cure and worked for them. I wanted to still use Windows 7.
    Some things I'm repeating here to better explain what I did to get my Windows 7 computer to stop crashing. Most of the faults were old Nvidia drivers, programs and games that were optimized by Nvidia tweaks. They were like a disease and really crippled AMD drivers. It's like, old Nvidia drivers are meant to sabotage the use of any AMD drivers. I removed the all the Steam games because they've been optimized to run on Nvidia. I later reloaded them.
    I removed all Nvidia related programs like EVGA Precision and Nvidia GeForce Experience. Then I removed CoD AW, Hawken and all the games I played in Steam and Steam itself. Steam remembers your password so your earned game goodies don't evaporate. However, it will reset to default game settings. Not a big deal.
    Once I cleaned everything out, I went into HKEY to remove Nvidia folders. You want to be careful in Regedit not click and delete other folders.
    To get there go to Start> search box> type Regedit> (it opens Regedit window)> on the left sidebar of window, click the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT folder. Folder will drop down> scroll and look for any Nvidia folders> delete them. Close folder and click HKEY_CURRENT_USERS folder and do the same. Do that for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, etc. Close them and exit.
    Look for any Nvidia folders in Computer> Local Disk C: drive> Program Files & (86) and remove any Nvidia files. Close the folders and .scroll down to Users> your name> AppData> Roaming> remove any Nvidia files in there.
    To repair Direct X 11 (you are probably running DX12) The path is Start> search box> type Dxdiag> Check over info> run Dxdiag 64bit.
    Crashes sometimes jacks Windows. Depending on how many times Windows (7) crashed, it's wise to run a disk scan to repair windows. Window 8 or 10 may be the same.
    In Computer> right click C: drive> window opens. At the bottom of window, click properties> opens window> click 'Tools' tab> Error Checking> click the 'Check Now' button> Check Local Disk C window opens. Check both boxes, 'Automatically fix file system errors & Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. >window opens> click "Start' button.
    You can Defrag your C: drive in 'Tools'. Keeps everything together for the drive.
    Reinstall AMD drivers, reinstall Steam, reinstall games. You may want to turn up your fans to idle 35% or better at idle.
    Call of Duty Advanced Warfare is a real fickle game. Some game sites say Activison put it out on a deadline and continued working on the bugs after release. Really, it's their guess. At least Sledgehammer is trying to fix CoD AW in updates so that can't be a bad thing.
    I did try to use a 30 day trial of Revo Uninsatller I found at 'Bleeping Computer'. Yes, it did find the major paths.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/
    If you plan to use this, you may have to reload the old Nvidia drivers first, so Revo Uninstaller can detect the root paths. Let me explain this.
    Revo Uninstaller will show the computer's inventory such as in 'Program and Features'. If you're not seeing Nvidia or related programs, you'll want to reload the Nvidia drivers and then use the Revo Uninstaller. Sometimes it can't see the traces and paths into the registry & directories because the main Nvidia programs have been uninstalled earlier.
    Yeah, it was a bit of a learning curve. Hope this helps.


    Yes I have done that, used cc cleaner instead of revo, removed Nvdiia folders manually in the registry.

    Did defrag.

    Installed the Beta 15.10 drivers and now it is working great. No more crashes.

    My sapphire is also a power hog, so in after burner I had to increase the power limit to max. I am not getting any more artefacts while rendering with blender.

    BTW 15.11 Beta drivers were released any one else having problem should try those.

  14. Sunny Kapoor said:
    Rexer said:
    Like I mentioned earlier, there was no real 'master fix' for me. It was like weeding out the backyard (ugh). I Googled a number of places where ever I could find a solution. Some people found Windows 10 was a cure and worked for them. I wanted to still use Windows 7.
    Some things I'm repeating here to better explain what I did to get my Windows 7 computer to stop crashing. Most of the faults were old Nvidia drivers, programs and games that were optimized by Nvidia tweaks. They were like a disease and really crippled AMD drivers. It's like, old Nvidia drivers are meant to sabotage the use of any AMD drivers. I removed the all the Steam games because they've been optimized to run on Nvidia. I later reloaded them.
    I removed all Nvidia related programs like EVGA Precision and Nvidia GeForce Experience. Then I removed CoD AW, Hawken and all the games I played in Steam and Steam itself. Steam remembers your password so your earned game goodies don't evaporate. However, it will reset to default game settings. Not a big deal.
    Once I cleaned everything out, I went into HKEY to remove Nvidia folders. You want to be careful in Regedit not click and delete other folders.
    To get there go to Start> search box> type Regedit> (it opens Regedit window)> on the left sidebar of window, click the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT folder. Folder will drop down> scroll and look for any Nvidia folders> delete them. Close folder and click HKEY_CURRENT_USERS folder and do the same. Do that for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, etc. Close them and exit.
    Look for any Nvidia folders in Computer> Local Disk C: drive> Program Files & (86) and remove any Nvidia files. Close the folders and .scroll down to Users> your name> AppData> Roaming> remove any Nvidia files in there.
    To repair Direct X 11 (you are probably running DX12) The path is Start> search box> type Dxdiag> Check over info> run Dxdiag 64bit.
    Crashes sometimes jacks Windows. Depending on how many times Windows (7) crashed, it's wise to run a disk scan to repair windows. Window 8 or 10 may be the same.
    In Computer> right click C: drive> window opens. At the bottom of window, click properties> opens window> click 'Tools' tab> Error Checking> click the 'Check Now' button> Check Local Disk C window opens. Check both boxes, 'Automatically fix file system errors & Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. >window opens> click "Start' button.
    You can Defrag your C: drive in 'Tools'. Keeps everything together for the drive.
    Reinstall AMD drivers, reinstall Steam, reinstall games. You may want to turn up your fans to idle 35% or better at idle.
    Call of Duty Advanced Warfare is a real fickle game. Some game sites say Activison put it out on a deadline and continued working on the bugs after release. Really, it's their guess. At least Sledgehammer is trying to fix CoD AW in updates so that can't be a bad thing.
    I did try to use a 30 day trial of Revo Uninsatller I found at 'Bleeping Computer'. Yes, it did find the major paths.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/
    If you plan to use this, you may have to reload the old Nvidia drivers first, so Revo Uninstaller can detect the root paths. Let me explain this.
    Revo Uninstaller will show the computer's inventory such as in 'Program and Features'. If you're not seeing Nvidia or related programs, you'll want to reload the Nvidia drivers and then use the Revo Uninstaller. Sometimes it can't see the traces and paths into the registry & directories because the main Nvidia programs have been uninstalled earlier.
    Yeah, it was a bit of a learning curve. Hope this helps.


    Yes I have done that, used cc cleaner instead of revo, removed Nvdiia folders manually in the registry.

    Did defrag.

    Installed the Beta 15.10 drivers and now it is working great. No more crashes.

    My sapphire is also a power hog, so in after burner I had to increase the power limit to max. I am not getting any more artefacts while rendering with blender.

    BTW 15.11 Beta drivers were released any one else having problem should try those.



    Ccleaner. Yeah, that's great stuff.
  15. Trying after burner... How much do I up the voltage?
  16. Okay so I've up the voltage and that didnt work.
    Before that Ive done everything else.. Uninstalled drivers... used DDU, used revo, defraged, ccleaner, ..etc.

    So im about to put my computer specs in hopes of more help.

    Xigmatek Shockwave EN5988 Black Steel/ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    MSI ATX DDR3 2400 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97 PC MATE
    Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5 GHz LGA 1150
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
    Sapphire 11244-01-20G Radeon NITRO R9 390 8GB GDDR5 DVI-D/HDMI with Back Plate
    Samsung 850 EVO 120GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
    G.Skill F3-2400C11D-8GXM 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-2400
    Sentey Power Supply 725w Xpp725-hs / Computer Power Supply ATX

    As I've said before... I've been searching for a solution to this problem for a month now.. I didn't want to take back my graphics card seeing as this is a universal problem for a lot of others. Please help.
  17. Appartently AMD knows about this but I don't know why they never sent word prior.

    AMD driver 15.11 Tell me if it works.

    http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

    hope it helps.
  18. That's the same driver I have right now Rexer
  19. Oh, yeah. Sorry. My stapel clock speed is 1120 mhz (1170 is the highest before artifact), power limit +10%/+15%, Memory 1600. Fans 60% . . Defaults on the desktop.
  20. DirectX in a game sometimes crashes without a error window.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\steamapps\common\Call of Duty AdvancedWarfare\CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010\(double click) DXsetup
    Origin games like Battlefield
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3\Installer\directx\redist\(double click)DXSETUP
    You may need to repair or reinstall games. Origin has a game repair feature. When accessing Origin, right click the large game icon. A window opens to give you options.
  21. Oh so the problem is still not even fixed for you? Im not understanding why AMD hasnt done something about this... From what I've read, this problem has been going on since July.
  22. Newnie said:
    Okay so I've up the voltage and that didnt work.
    Before that Ive done everything else.. Uninstalled drivers... used DDU, used revo, defraged, ccleaner, ..etc.

    So im about to put my computer specs in hopes of more help.

    Xigmatek Shockwave EN5988 Black Steel/ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    MSI ATX DDR3 2400 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97 PC MATE
    Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5 GHz LGA 1150
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
    Sapphire 11244-01-20G Radeon NITRO R9 390 8GB GDDR5 DVI-D/HDMI with Back Plate
    Samsung 850 EVO 120GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
    G.Skill F3-2400C11D-8GXM 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-2400
    Sentey Power Supply 725w Xpp725-hs / Computer Power Supply ATX

    As I've said before... I've been searching for a solution to this problem for a month now.. I didn't want to take back my graphics card seeing as this is a universal problem for a lot of others. Please help.


    You do not need to up the core volatge. bring it back to normal or it might ruin your card unless you know how to overclock properly..

    You need to increase this marked in white circle



    This solved my artefact problem, and not necessarily driver crashing problem.

    Also what W of UPS are you using, try connecting with power board directly. It is drawing a lot of power especially when running a old PSU which loses capacity power after every year.
  23. Sunny Kapoor said:
    Newnie said:
    Okay so I've up the voltage and that didnt work.
    Before that Ive done everything else.. Uninstalled drivers... used DDU, used revo, defraged, ccleaner, ..etc.

    So im about to put my computer specs in hopes of more help.

    Xigmatek Shockwave EN5988 Black Steel/ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    MSI ATX DDR3 2400 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97 PC MATE
    Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5 GHz LGA 1150
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
    Sapphire 11244-01-20G Radeon NITRO R9 390 8GB GDDR5 DVI-D/HDMI with Back Plate
    Samsung 850 EVO 120GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
    G.Skill F3-2400C11D-8GXM 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-2400
    Sentey Power Supply 725w Xpp725-hs / Computer Power Supply ATX

    As I've said before... I've been searching for a solution to this problem for a month now.. I didn't want to take back my graphics card seeing as this is a universal problem for a lot of others. Please help.


    You do not need to up the core volatge. bring it back to normal or it might ruin your card unless you know how to overclock properly..

    You need to increase this marked in white circle



    This solved my artefact problem, and not necessarily driver crashing problem.

    Also what W of UPS are you using, try connecting with power board directly. It is drawing a lot of power especially when running a old PSU which loses capacity power after every year.


    Sorry, but what do you mean by what W of UPS? Sorry I got lost. Also I got the latest afterburner... but i dont see that option... i had the volt turned up.. lmao.
  24. Completely format your system if issues still persist and try the above direct power , power limit options. Only then you will have a better idea whether it is the beta drivers causing the problem or something else by the process of elimination.
  25. Newnie said:
    Sunny Kapoor said:
    Newnie said:
    Okay so I've up the voltage and that didnt work.
    Before that Ive done everything else.. Uninstalled drivers... used DDU, used revo, defraged, ccleaner, ..etc.

    So im about to put my computer specs in hopes of more help.

    Xigmatek Shockwave EN5988 Black Steel/ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    MSI ATX DDR3 2400 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97 PC MATE
    Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5 GHz LGA 1150
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
    Sapphire 11244-01-20G Radeon NITRO R9 390 8GB GDDR5 DVI-D/HDMI with Back Plate
    Samsung 850 EVO 120GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
    G.Skill F3-2400C11D-8GXM 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-2400
    Sentey Power Supply 725w Xpp725-hs / Computer Power Supply ATX

    As I've said before... I've been searching for a solution to this problem for a month now.. I didn't want to take back my graphics card seeing as this is a universal problem for a lot of others. Please help.


    You do not need to up the core volatge. bring it back to normal or it might ruin your card unless you know how to overclock properly..

    You need to increase this marked in white circle



    This solved my artefact problem, and not necessarily driver crashing problem.

    Also what W of UPS are you using, try connecting with power board directly. It is drawing a lot of power especially when running a old PSU which loses capacity power after every year.


    Sorry, but what do you mean by what W of UPS? Sorry I got lost. Also I got the latest afterburner... but i dont see that option... i had the volt turned up.. lmao.


    How much Wattage can your UPS support in case of a power outrage? I have an old APC 600 Back RS which started beeping because the total Wattage of the complete CPU was going over 700W. So I plugged directly to the power board.

    For the after burner try to check different interface themes. If there is no power limit in the after burner, that is problematic. Maybe your graphic card is locked for it. I am using an old after burner version.
  26. Newnie said:
    Oh so the problem is still not even fixed for you? Im not understanding why AMD hasnt done something about this... From what I've read, this problem has been going on since July.


    I'm not saying I don't crash. I've substantially reduced the crashing to where I can enjoy the games I play. Two, in game crashes happened two weeks ago, one in Call of Duty Advanced Warfare and a crash in Battlefield 3 using AfterBurner while Speed Fan was running in background. Both times using AMD 15.8 beta. I'm now crashing mostly because of overclocking limits. I've been taking it up to find the highest safe overclock, with and without voltage.
    I'm exclusive to playing multiplayer which makes high heat, 89c peak. Crashed a few times last month just from heat alone because I didn't turn up the fan speed. Lots of heat on backplate. It looks great but it gets pretty hot. I may remove it.
    You're computer looks nice, Newnie, got great parts. Is it a cold, dead crash with lights out and a hard restart? I had a computer that had a bad psu gold (Corsair RM750), learned it was recalled for an auto fan setting but not before it fried the board and gpu, got rid of the cpu just because.
    Hope this info helps.
  27. Guys I'm just going to turn mine back in and get me a Geforce 970... Cause this is just sad. Worst part is that until now I had never bought a Radeon before. They've lost a potential customer. The card is a beast, but what is it worth if cant even use it...
  28. Newnie said:
    Guys I'm just going to turn mine back in and get me a Geforce 970... Cause this is just sad. Worst part is that until now I had never bought a Radeon before. They've lost a potential customer. The card is a beast, but what is it worth if cant even use it...


    That's totally understandable. I keep thinking if it was it a good idea to get rid of my 970 for a 390. My problems started with the switch from Nvidia to AMD. However, I'll still put up fixes as I find them so tell us how it goes with the 970. You can write that in as a solution. Sorry it didn't work out for you.
  29. Repairing Microsoft Visual C++
    Microsoft Visual C++ sometimes gets damaged by multiple crashes or change by the use of a program demanding it. This is a fix but takes a little time.
    Go to Start> Control Panel> Programs and Features> (scroll down to) Microsoft Visual C ++ 2010 x86 Redistributable 10.0.40219 and click on it. A bar above the list of programs, will give options. click on the option 'change'> a window opens, click >'Repair'. Do not Uninstall. There is a specific order they need to be installed and uninstalling one Microsoft Visual C++ may mean you'll need to reinstall them all. This is just repairing which O.K. and can be repaired in any order. After repairing each MS Visual C++, restart your computer.

    Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable 10.0.40219
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable 10.0.40219
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 (x64) Redistributable 11.0.61030
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 (x86) Redistributable 11.0.61030
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 (x64) Redistributable 12.0.30501
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 (x86) Redistributable 12.0.30501
    etc.

    Note: If you don't find a 'Repair' option on the bar above the list of programs, means it needs no repair. It's good to go.

    Depending on your programs and games, there may be other Microsoft Visual C++ programs listed. Go ahead and repair them. Just remember not to uninstall them. Hope this helps.
  30. Rexer said:
    Newnie said:
    Guys I'm just going to turn mine back in and get me a Geforce 970... Cause this is just sad. Worst part is that until now I had never bought a Radeon before. They've lost a potential customer. The card is a beast, but what is it worth if cant even use it...


    That's totally understandable. I keep thinking if it was it a good idea to get rid of my 970 for a 390. My problems started with the switch from Nvidia to AMD. However, I'll still put up fixes as I find them so tell us how it goes with the 970. You can write that in as a solution. Sorry it didn't work out for you.



    No problem. I'll keep in touch with the board and let you guys know when I get my 970
  31. So I gotta be honest with you guys... I've yet to turn mine in. In fact, I popped it back into my system out of being hard headed and stubborn on fixing it. What I plan to do though is put it inside my brothers computer later tonight. That way, if it works, we know theres something else inside my comp thats the problem. And if it still doesnt, it's a faulty card or the drivers really are bad with the card.

    One thing I have noticed is that it crashes with EVERY game at RANDOM times. Usually no more than 10 minutes into a game it resets... And the keyword here is "Reset"... Seeing as when I play Heroes of the Storm it cuts out, just to cut back in.
  32. I have the say problem not with every game though. i had it with rainbow six siege,ark,Star citizen and randomly on the internet. im going to try to reformat my hard drive. anyone know if that works?
  33. To be honest i have seen this forum post sense early September with these problems.
    me my self i might just get a 970 fallout.This just disappoints me even more i have been a long time AMD fan, a sad day.
  34. I've done everything I can but reinstall Windows 7. That may be next for me. I haven't crashed this week so I 'm sort of tentative about doing that. Right now I'm steady at 1120 mhz @ power level 0% so I'll see what happens. Got some good play on Battlefront, Call of Duty Advance Warfare and BattleField 3 & 4. Temps are 76c/78c peak under load. Fans at 60%, throws a lot of heat away. Room temp 68f goes to a toasty 72f. 60 fps/75 fps highest setting in Crysis 3 so I can't complain.
    The 970 was almost the same at times. Had a slightly higher clock speed out of the box. Ran 10c cooler. About the same if you OC the 390 a hair. The 970 was slightly slower past 1440p monitor. OC it and it's the same. Some games were better with the 390 and some games were better with the 970. They do see-saw trade-offs.
    I never had problems with AMD cards before owning the R9 390.
  35. Mine saphire r9 390 is working great. It is quite possible it a driver issue, maybe it is conflicting with some other software on your machine. I have been running path of exile for many hours without a crash.
  36. To update you guys, I gave up and got a refund for my card and now bought a GTX 980 (Specifically this card http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OD38516) that I'm waiting to be delivered Friday. I will let you guys know further details once I get it.
  37. Newnie said:
    To update you guys, I gave up and got a refund for my card and now bought a GTX 980 (Specifically this card http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OD38516) that I'm waiting to be delivered Friday. I will let you guys know further details once I get it.


    Thanks. Hope the 980 works out well for you.
  38. Rexer said:
    Newnie said:
    To update you guys, I gave up and got a refund for my card and now bought a GTX 980 (Specifically this card http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OD38516) that I'm waiting to be delivered Friday. I will let you guys know further details once I get it.


    Thanks. Hope the 980 works out well for you.


    Hey, So It's not Friday yet, but I've noticed that my onboard graphics card crashes and resets... But NOWHERE near how much my graphics card was... I'm wondering if this is usual and maybe im just freaked out by the new windows 10 message.

    Like the screen freezes once in a blue moon, than cuts back in. Again, this could just be me paranoid
  39. UPDATE: So I have my GTX 980 and sadly to say, I just got a crash... So what are we looking at here? I'm thinking its my harddrive

    EDIT: After restarting my computer and turning up the power consumption in afterburner, I havent crashed yet and have been playing my games longer.
  40. I didn't have a crash for 10 days but on Friday, I got fooled on a Windows 10 upgrade window and click the wrong button. I now have Windows 10. Half my programs don't work, stuff is missing and navigating around the apps are weird. I've been trying to avoid the upgrade and I clicked 'Update Later' button instead of 'Update Now' and couldn't get out of the window. I thought, maybe I could find it tomorrow in 'Programs and Features' and turn it off. During the night, it updated. I'm tired and discouraged to say the least.
    Some of my programs are fine. Video driver are screwed again, there's some Radeon bullshit that's conflicting with Afterburner, Ccleaner is gone, Origin boots Battlelog but won't enter any games and Steam don't work. Office 2013 isn't there. I'm sort of pissed Microsoft put that stupid upgrade window in the center of my screen. #*$&^% nightmare.
  41. Rexer said:
    I didn't have a crash for 10 days but on Friday, I got fooled on a Windows 10 upgrade window and click the wrong button. I now have Windows 10. Half my programs don't work, stuff is missing and navigating around the apps are weird. I've been trying to avoid the upgrade and I clicked 'Update Later' button instead of 'Update Now' and couldn't get out of the window. I thought, maybe I could find it tomorrow in 'Programs and Features' and turn it off. During the night, it updated. I'm tired and discouraged to say the least.
    Some of my programs are fine. Video driver are screwed again, there's some Radeon bullshit that's conflicting with Afterburner, Ccleaner is gone, Origin boots Battlelog but won't enter any games and Steam don't work. Office 2013 isn't there. I'm sort of pissed Microsoft put that stupid upgrade window in the center of my screen. #*$&^% nightmare.


    I think I've came to the realization that our computers are just not taking in AMD software too good. I havent crashed since I been on this Nvidia 980 and am assuming nothing was wrong with my R90 390 in the hardware, more so AMD drivers are the problem period. I think the reason I was still crashing when I first got my 980 was because I hadnt resetted the computer yet after uninstalling AMD drivers.
  42. Removing my old Nvidia drivers were a nightmare. Stuff was in there like tree roots. Lol. I think removing AMD software isn't much different. I'm sure going from an AMD gpu to AMD gpu is as easy as going from an Nvida gpu to Nvidia gpu. It's going from AMD to Nvidia or Nvidia to AMD that's hair pulling.
  43. Last time I posted was in late November. It's December 15th right now and I've yet to crash since I switched to the GTX 980. With this said, I really will never buy a ATI Radeon product again. It's a shame my first experience with them led me to these boards with so much frustration. Even if it has been resolved by now, it says something about the company. I wish you all the best of lucky and a merry Christmas.
  44. Newnie said:
    Last time I posted was in late November. It's December 15th right now and I've yet to crash since I switched to the GTX 980. With this said, I really will never buy a ATI Radeon product again. It's a shame my first experience with them led me to these boards with so much frustration. Even if it has been resolved by now, it says something about the company. I wish you all the best of lucky and a merry Christmas.


    I don't blame you. The 980 is an awesome gpu. I game with klan members who swear by it. Nvidia is very user friendly. I had a 970 for 11 months and had very few problems aside from optimizing updates. I probably would've bought a 980 had I known I'd have as many problems as I had. It was sort of arduous. But figuring out what I needed to do to get my 390 going and doing what I wanted it to do, pushed that choice behind me. So we'll see you on the Battlefield floor. Happy trails.
Ask a new question

Read More

r9 390x Crash 390x AMD Graphics windows 10 Call of Duty