Solved

Games crash to desktop every now and then

Without apparent reason, after a while my games will crash to desktop(not always), sometimes after 10 minutes, sometimes after 30. What could it be?

My Rig:

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits

Phenom II X4 945
nVidia GT630
Asus M2N68-AM
4Gb RAM DDR2
PSU: Generic 500 Watts

Thx in advance! :-)
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about games crash desktop
  1. Rafael Mestdag said:
    Without apparent reason, after a while my games will crash to desktop(not always), sometimes after 10 minutes, sometimes after 30. What could it be?

    My Rig:

    Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits

    Phenom II X4 945
    nVidia GT630
    Asus M2N68-AM
    4Gb RAM DDR2
    PSU: Generic 500 Watts

    Thx in advance! :-)


    What games are you trying to play?
  2. First guess:
    Quote:
    PSU: Generic 500 Watts


    Beyond that, I'd say overheating.

    I'd probably start here: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html and monitor your temps. Make sure it's not that before you start spending money.

    -Wolf sends
  3. Are you overclocking? If so try going back to their base clock speeds.
  4. I've had the crash to desktop playing Assetto Corsa, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Prototype 2, and some others I can't remember right now, those are the ones I play more often but I rarely play any one of them for more than an hour at a time, mostly for 30 on average.

    I'm currently using the BIOS' own overclocking option at 7%(max) which brings the clock up from 3.0Ghz to 3.21Ghz.

    My cpu temp rarely exceeds 65 ºC and my GPU temp seldom hits 60 and over.
  5. Then I'd recommend temporarily backing off the overclocking and see if the system crashes as frequently (or if at all).

    -Wolf sends
  6. Rafael Mestdag said:
    I've had the crash to desktop playing Assetto Corsa, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Prototype 2, and some others I can't remember right now, those are the ones I play more often but I rarely play any one of them for more than an hour at a time, mostly for 30 on average.

    I'm currently using the BIOS' own overclocking option at 7%(max) which brings the clock up from 3.0Ghz to 3.21Ghz.

    My cpu temp rarely exceeds 65 ºC and my GPU temp seldom hits 60 and over.


    but there is more to overclocking than just your max temp. Go back to the default speeds and see if you continue to have the problem and report back.
  7. neieus said:
    Rafael Mestdag said:
    I've had the crash to desktop playing Assetto Corsa, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Prototype 2, and some others I can't remember right now, those are the ones I play more often but I rarely play any one of them for more than an hour at a time, mostly for 30 on average.

    I'm currently using the BIOS' own overclocking option at 7%(max) which brings the clock up from 3.0Ghz to 3.21Ghz.

    My cpu temp rarely exceeds 65 ºC and my GPU temp seldom hits 60 and over.


    but there is more to overclocking than just your max temp. Go back to the default speeds and see if you continue to have the problem and report back.



    What else is there besides temperature? I have never fully understood overclocking, I find the details too difficult to understand.
  8. Best answer
    Overclocking means sending more power to a component. A higher than stock clock rate on your processor means it's drawing more power from the power supply. If your power supply cannot provide enough power, your system will shutdown and restart. This often occurs when there is a high usage of power as when you are playing computer games. Removing the overclock on your processor will reduce the required power output and possibly allow it to provide the necessary power to keep it from shutting down.

    As power supplies age, they tend to lose their maximum power output ratings. While yours may (and maybe not) have been able to put out a maximum 500 watts of power when it was new, depending on how old it is, it's likely not putting out (at least not steadily) anywhere close to that. When the power output from the power supply drops too low, your system shuts down.

    A quality power supply will likely fare better over time than any generic power supply.

    -Wolf sends
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Games Games Desktops Crash