Solved

Cold boot slow

I recently put together a build consisting of
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus H97-PRO GAMER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

and an SSD from a previous build.

Currently when I do the first boot of the day the computer is extremely slow and does not function. It would also appear that during this time I have am having large RAM spikes upwards of 70%. If I reset the computer every boot after that works perfectly fine with no issues at all whatsoever. How can I approach this and resolve this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cold boot slow
  1. Best answer
    First, you need to see what is using taht 70% of your RAM. Open task manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc. Go over to the Performance tab, then near the bottom right will be a button that says "Resource Monitor". Next, expand the bottom most tab which should be labeled "Memory" (AKA RAM). It will tell you all of the processes that are using RAM and list them from Most Memory Intensive -> Least Memory Intensive. Note the application(s) that are using the most amount of memory, and report back.
  2. MrTuRtLe03 said:
    First, you need to see what is using taht 70% of your RAM. Open task manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc. Go over to the Performance tab, then near the bottom right will be a button that says "Resource Monitor". Next, expand the bottom most tab which should be labeled "Memory" (AKA RAM). It will tell you all of the processes that are using RAM and list them from Most Memory Intensive -> Least Memory Intensive. Note the application(s) that are using the most amount of memory, and report back.

    Hi thanks for your response, it looks like something called 'systems interrupt' is running when I have the issue. I also should mention I pulled this SSD from my laptop and used it without formatting it and fresh install of windows. Would that cause this issue?
  3. redraiderone said:
    Hi thanks for your response, it looks like something called 'systems interrupt' is running when I have the issue. I also should mention I pulled this SSD from my laptop and used it without formatting it and fresh install of windows. Would that cause this issue?


    It could most definitely be the issue. System Interrupts are problems that occur below the OS level, your hardware needs to take extra time to process. This article can give you a brief overview of what they are. Wiping the SSD and reinstalling Windows should solve your issue. If not, or you decide on another course of action, let us know!
  4. MrTuRtLe03 said:
    redraiderone said:
    Hi thanks for your response, it looks like something called 'systems interrupt' is running when I have the issue. I also should mention I pulled this SSD from my laptop and used it without formatting it and fresh install of windows. Would that cause this issue?


    It could most definitely be the issue. System Interrupts are problems that occur below the OS level, your hardware needs to take extra time to process. This article can give you a brief overview of what they are. Wiping the SSD and reinstalling Windows should solve your issue. If not, or you decide on another course of action, let us know!


    Definitely interesting and I will try the complete fresh install this weekend. Is there any particular reason why it happens on the first boot of the day and not any of the follow up boots?
  5. redraiderone said:
    Definitely interesting and I will try the complete fresh install this weekend. Is there any particular reason why it happens on the first boot of the day and not any of the follow up boots?


    I wouldn't know honestly, I don't have a lot to go off of. I could speculate all day, but it wouldn't really help - your guess is as good as mine!

    Good luck on the fresh install, if it doesn't work post back here and we can troubleshoot further. If it does, make sure you mark a "Best answer" so others know how to solve this issue should they come across it!
  6. MrTuRtLe03 said:
    redraiderone said:
    Definitely interesting and I will try the complete fresh install this weekend. Is there any particular reason why it happens on the first boot of the day and not any of the follow up boots?


    I wouldn't know honestly, I don't have a lot to go off of. I could speculate all day, but it wouldn't really help - your guess is as good as mine!

    Good luck on the fresh install, if it doesn't work post back here and we can troubleshoot further. If it does, make sure you mark a "Best answer" so others know how to solve this issue should they come across it!


    I did the fresh reinstall and updated all drivers and still the same thing. First boot of the day super laggy and slow. No improvement.
  7. redraiderone said:
    I did the fresh reinstall and updated all drivers and still the same thing. First boot of the day super laggy and slow. No improvement.


    Just to clarify, your computer is really slow on the first boot of the day - not every time you restart - correct? If so, is the same application using a lot of RAM like it was before the reinstall?
  8. MrTuRtLe03 said:
    redraiderone said:
    I did the fresh reinstall and updated all drivers and still the same thing. First boot of the day super laggy and slow. No improvement.


    Just to clarify, your computer is really slow on the first boot of the day - not every time you restart - correct? If so, is the same application using a lot of RAM like it was before the reinstall?

    Correct, when I first turn on the computer, or after waiting about 30 minutes the computer will run very sluggishly and as a result I can run no programs. If I immediately restart the computer it runs smoothly and perfectly fine.
    I did a fresh install this weekend and the issue did not go away. I then have started slowly removing parts of the build to determine if they are an issue. I started with removing the ram down to one stick and the issue remained. Next I will remove GPU and see if that solves it. If this issue is not resolved is it safe to say its a motherboard problem?

  9. Before you do that, run a chkdsk scan from Command Prompt. Go to the start menu, type in "CMD" and right click on the application that shows up. Next, click "Run as Administrator" and type "chkdsk /R". It should prompt you to reboot, or at least tell you it will run a chkdsk scan on the next reboot. Next, reboot. Windows will run a scan on your SSD looking for bad sectors and/or corrupt files and fix them automatically.
  10. Update: I removed the GPU and am no longer having any issues. The GPU works fine and has no issues when running other than seemingly causing this issue. I am unsure on how to advance from this point. All drivers are up to date as well.
  11. redraiderone said:
    Update: I removed the GPU and am no longer having any issues. The GPU works fine and has no issues when running other than seemingly causing this issue. I am unsure on how to advance from this point. All drivers are up to date as well.


    Do you have another tower you can test the GPU in to see if the same thing happens in a different computer? If so, please do that. If not, uninstall all of the GPU specific drivers and reinstall them. A program like Driver Sweep can uninstall drivers and not leave a trace behind. Then, reinstall the drivers for the GPU, and reinsert it into your computer.
  12. Unfortunately I do not have another tower or GPU. I have removed all drivers and then reinstalled on the GPU and the same issue. I will try on the motherboard. I am considering buying the same motherboard and swapping it out to see if that resolves the issue. This was an open box motherboard and I may be off base but perhaps this is the same reason they returned it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards