Solved

Computer starts up from standby without torching the start button

Hello! For some reason when my pc is on standby after some time it starts without me touching the start button. Any suggestions?
Thank you.
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about computer starts standby torching start button
  1. Maybe the wind from your second story window came down, all through your house making sure not to touch anything else, and down to your first story computer and moved the mouse ever so slightly?
  2. it's the mouse, i hate it too. every time i nudge my desk while my pc is sleeping it'll wake right up, still dont know how to make windows only wake if i touch a button, not every time i pick up something on my desk.

    i've tried disabling selective usb suspend, the cpu wont wake up when i move the mouse since it's turned off. but i also cant charge my phone via usb since all usb is turned off also, and i have to squat to reach power button to wake it up which is buried deep under my table (which is my reason to put it to sleep instead powering off).

    tried selecting which usb to turn off while sleeping also, but got confused in the process since there's literally a whole farm of usb socket in my pc.
  3. Ryarwood99 said:
    Maybe the wind from your second story window came down, all through your house making sure not to touch anything else, and down to your first story computer and moved the mouse ever so slightly?


    I was on the bed, nothing could move the mouse or the pc itself.
  4. Ok Go said:
    it's the mouse, i hate it too. every time i nudge my desk while my pc is sleeping it'll wake right up, still dont know how to make windows only wake if i touch a button, not every time i pick up something on my desk.

    i've tried disabling selective usb suspend, the cpu wont wake up when i move the mouse since it's turned off. but i also cant charge my phone via usb since all usb is turned off also, and i have to squat to reach power button to wake it up which is buried deep under my table (which is my reason to put it to sleep instead powering off).


    I was on the bed, nothing could move the mouse or the pc itself.
    ( +1 Like for that cool profile gif )
  5. Next time it happens mate

    Open windows search bar
    Type cmd
    Open command prompt

    Type the line below
    powercfg -lastwake

    This will tell you what actually woke the PC from sleep/standby mode.
  6. madmatt30 said:
    Next time it happens mate

    Open windows search bar
    Type cmd
    Open command prompt

    Type the line below
    powercfg -lastwake

    This will tell you what actually woke the PC from sleep/standby mode.


    I did what you told me and this is what is sayed:

    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -lastwake
    Wake History Count - 1
    Wake History [0]
    Wake Source Count - 0

    C:\Windows\system32>
  7. Best answer
    hmm...i've red abit about powercfg command.
    try typing :
    powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

    it will returns with list of hardware that's allowed to wake your pc.
    and try disabling it using:
    Powercfg -devicedisablewake “name of device on the list with quotes”
    example. my powercfg -devicequery wake_armed return the list with "HID-Compliant mouse" so if i type Powercfg -devicedisablewake "HID-Compliant mouse" then the mouse wont be able to wake the system.

    try disabling all hardware that is listed for wake_armed.
    if the pc still wakes up randomly then you can be assured that it's not a hardware that wakes the pc up. if it's not a hardware then task scheduler has a task that causes your pc to wakeup on an interval.

    to re-enable a device wake_armed use Powercfg -deviceenablewake “name of device on the list with quotes”

    PS. you need administrator rights for using this command.

    i've learned somthing new today lol.

    edit: fixed some syntax
  8. Ok Go said:
    hmm...i've red abit about powercfg command.
    try typing :
    powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

    it will returns with list of hardware that's allowed to wake your pc.
    and try disabling it using:
    Powercfg -devicedisablewake “name of device on the list without quotes”
    example. my powercfg -devicequery wake_armed return the list with "HID-Compliant mouse" so if i type "Powercfg -devicedisablewake HID-Compliant mouse" then the mouse wont be able to wake the system.

    try disabling all hardware that is listed for wake_armed.
    if the pc still wakes up randomly then you can be assured that it's not a hardware that wakes the pc up. if it's not a hardware then task scheduler has a task that causes your pc to wakeup on an interval.

    to re-enable a device wake_armed use Powercfg -deviceenablewake “name of device on the list without quotes”

    PS. you need administrator rights for using this command.

    i've learned somthing new today lol.


    It gives me this error:

    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    C:\Windows\system32>Powercfg -devicedisablewake HID-Compliant mouse
    Invalid Parameters -- try "/?" for help

    C:\Windows\system32>

    I am running Commmand Prompt (Admin).
  9. Ok Go said:
    hmm...i've red abit about powercfg command.
    try typing :
    powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

    it will returns with list of hardware that's allowed to wake your pc.
    and try disabling it using:
    Powercfg -devicedisablewake “name of device on the list without quotes”
    example. my powercfg -devicequery wake_armed return the list with "HID-Compliant mouse" so if i type "Powercfg -devicedisablewake HID-Compliant mouse" then the mouse wont be able to wake the system.

    try disabling all hardware that is listed for wake_armed.
    if the pc still wakes up randomly then you can be assured that it's not a hardware that wakes the pc up. if it's not a hardware then task scheduler has a task that causes your pc to wakeup on an interval.

    to re-enable a device wake_armed use Powercfg -deviceenablewake “name of device on the list without quotes”

    PS. you need administrator rights for using this command.

    i've learned somthing new today lol.


    This is what I get when I type: powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

    HID-compliant mouse
    HID Keyboard Device
    Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)
    Mad Catz R.A.T.7 Mouse (HID) (001)
  10. You can just goninyo device manager to disable wake on hardware.

    Prime culprits are
    Mouse
    Keyboard
    Ethernet (magic packets)
    Wireless Ethernet.
  11. you need to use excactly as the name that command powercfg -devicequery wake_armed give.
    because sometimes it will has a port number behing id.
    if the command said "HID-Compliant mouse (880)" you type exactly that on the disable command.

    edit. i saw you have 2 mouse there, so try disabling mad catz instead, since the HID-compliant mouse is likely to be disconected.

    more edit. as madmatt30 said, it turns out you could disable it from your device manager lol its much easier.
    go to device manager, choose the supected device(mouse, keyboar, or any ethernet adapter), righ-click>properties>power management. un-check "allow this device to wake..."

    it's basicly doing the same thing as the command but less eye-sore lol.

    and as i said, if you already disable wake on all the suspected device, but still get random wake, then task scheduler is most likely the culprit. and finding any culprit on task scheduler is not as easy since there's alot of scheduled task to filter.
  12. ^ far easier using device manager to do this.

    It will 100% be Ethernet or mouse if its hardware related.
  13. madmatt30 said:
    ^ far easier using device manager to do this.

    It will 100% be Ethernet or mouse if its hardware related.


    I typed first: Powercfg -devicedisablewake Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30) but it didnt work

    You need to type it like this: Powercfg /devicedisablewake "Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)"

    and it worked! I disabled the Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30) and it might work... (I didnt move the mouse when the pc was off I don't remember the mouse to be on when the pc is on standby.
  14. Ok Go said:
    you need to use excactly as the name that command powercfg -devicequery wake_armed give.
    because sometimes it will has a port number behing id.
    if the command said "HID-Compliant mouse (880)" you type exactly that on the disable command.

    edit. i saw you have 2 mouse there, so try disabling mad catz instead, since the HID-compliant mouse is likely to be disconected.

    more edit. as madmatt30 said, it turns out you could disable it from your device manager lol its much easier.
    go to device manager, choose the supected device(mouse, keyboar, or any ethernet adapter), righ-click>properties>power management. un-check "allow this device to wake..."

    it's basicly doing the same thing as the command but less eye-sore lol.

    and as i said, if you already disable wake on all the suspected device, but still get random wake, then task scheduler is most likely the culprit. and finding any culprit on task scheduler is not as easy since there's alot of scheduled task to filter.


    I typed first: Powercfg -devicedisablewake Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30) but it didnt work

    You need to type it like this: Powercfg /devicedisablewake "Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)"

    and it worked! I disabled the Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30) and it might work... (I didnt move the mouse when the pc was off I don't remember the mouse to be on when the pc is on standby.
  15. ohh you need the quotes then. my bad, i've edited the post to the correct syntax. lol.
    i hope it solves it, since filtering out task scheduler will be a nightmare.
  16. Ok Go said:
    ohh you need the quotes then. my bad, i've edited the post to the correct syntax. lol.
    i hope it solves it, since filtering out task scheduler will be a nightmare.


    Lol thanks for help! P.S.: best profile pic EVER XDD
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Components