Solved

HDD detected in BIOS, but not in devices and drives.

Hey, everyone.

I just finished booting up for the first time and installing windows, so now I'm sitting in my user account figuring things out on windows 8.1. I noticed that although my HDD is detected in the BIOS, it isn't detected in windows under devices and drives; only my SSD and optical drives are detected in devices and drives. How can I fix this so I can proceed with installing all the necessary drivers? I obviously don't want to install drivers on my SSD, right?

Thanks for any help in advance!
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hdd detected bios devices drives
  1. Best answer
    Go to Control Panel
    Click System and Security
    Scroll down and Click Administrative Tools
    Double Click Computer Management
    Under Storage
    Click Disk Management
    Look for your drive. It will be listed there as unallocated space.
    Right click on the drive and set the new partition and then format it and give it a drive letter

    or here is the guide from Tom http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/265764-32-guide-installed-disk-system
  2. well for starters, remove the optical drive, then install the Hard Disk use the connection that the optical drive used, then boot your pc..check to see if your pc "sees" the drive now. (do not connect the optical drive just the SSD and Hard Drive), the reason i made you do this because it might be a power issue..since it's seen on the BIOS but not in device manager.
  3. Joemari Asencio said:
    Go to Control Panel
    Click System and Security
    Scroll down and Click Administrative Tools
    Double Click Computer Management
    Under Storage
    Click Disk Management
    Look for your drive. It will be listed there as unallocated space.
    Right click on the drive and set the new partition and then format it and give it a drive letter

    or here is the guide from Tom http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/265764-32-guide-installed-disk-system


    Hey, thanks for the response. So I found my HDD under disk management, and I right clicked it, but not sure which option to click. Here are the options it gives me when I right click the drive: 1)*CONVERT* to dynamic disk 2)*CONVERT* to GPT disk 3)Offline 4)Properties (obviously not this one) 5)Help (obviously not this one either). Which one of these 5 options do I click?
  4. csgojoe said:
    Joemari Asencio said:
    Go to Control Panel
    Click System and Security
    Scroll down and Click Administrative Tools
    Double Click Computer Management
    Under Storage
    Click Disk Management
    Look for your drive. It will be listed there as unallocated space.
    Right click on the drive and set the new partition and then format it and give it a drive letter

    or here is the guide from Tom http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/265764-32-guide-installed-disk-system


    Hey, thanks for the response. So I found my HDD under disk management, and I right clicked it, but not sure which option to click. Here are the options it gives me when I right click the drive: 1)*CONVERT* to dynamic disk 2)*CONVERT* to GPT disk 3)Offline 4)Properties (obviously not this one) 5)Help (obviously not this one either). Which one of these 5 options do I click?


    How many storage drive you have aside from the drive where you installed your OS
  5. Joemari Asencio said:
    csgojoe said:
    Joemari Asencio said:
    Go to Control Panel
    Click System and Security
    Scroll down and Click Administrative Tools
    Double Click Computer Management
    Under Storage
    Click Disk Management
    Look for your drive. It will be listed there as unallocated space.
    Right click on the drive and set the new partition and then format it and give it a drive letter

    or here is the guide from Tom http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/265764-32-guide-installed-disk-system


    Hey, thanks for the response. So I found my HDD under disk management, and I right clicked it, but not sure which option to click. Here are the options it gives me when I right click the drive: 1)*CONVERT* to dynamic disk 2)*CONVERT* to GPT disk 3)Offline 4)Properties (obviously not this one) 5)Help (obviously not this one either). Which one of these 5 options do I click?


    How many storage drive you have aside from the drive where you installed your OS


    Aside from my SSD, which is where I installed Windows 8.1, I only have one HDD. Do I right click DISK 1 (my HDD) to create a partition, or do I right click where it says "931 GB unallocated"? If I right click where it says unallocated, there's an option to click "NEW SIMPLE VOLUME". Is that what I want to be clicking?
  6. csgojoe said:
    Joemari Asencio said:
    csgojoe said:
    Joemari Asencio said:
    Go to Control Panel
    Click System and Security
    Scroll down and Click Administrative Tools
    Double Click Computer Management
    Under Storage
    Click Disk Management
    Look for your drive. It will be listed there as unallocated space.
    Right click on the drive and set the new partition and then format it and give it a drive letter

    or here is the guide from Tom http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/265764-32-guide-installed-disk-system


    Hey, thanks for the response. So I found my HDD under disk management, and I right clicked it, but not sure which option to click. Here are the options it gives me when I right click the drive: 1)*CONVERT* to dynamic disk 2)*CONVERT* to GPT disk 3)Offline 4)Properties (obviously not this one) 5)Help (obviously not this one either). Which one of these 5 options do I click?


    How many storage drive you have aside from the drive where you installed your OS


    Aside from my SSD, which is where I installed Windows 8.1, I only have one HDD. Do I right click DISK 1 (my HDD) to create a partition, or do I right click where it says "931 GB unallocated"? If I right click where it says unallocated, there's an option to click "NEW SIMPLE VOLUME". Is that what I want to be clicking?


    Right click on the "931 GB unallocated"

    Can you post some Screenshot
  7. qazzi said:
    well for starters, remove the optical drive, then install the Hard Disk use the connection that the optical drive used, then boot your pc..check to see if your pc "sees" the drive now. (do not connect the optical drive just the SSD and Hard Drive), the reason i made you do this because it might be a power issue..since it's seen on the BIOS but not in device manager.


    I don't want to re-position any hardware for the time being, because it seems like there's a fix via using Windows' disk management. My HDD and SSD are both connected to the same SATA power cables (2 different sata connectors though obviously), and my Optical Drive is connected to a second SATA power cable by itself.
  8. Joemari Asencio said:
    csgojoe said:
    Joemari Asencio said:
    csgojoe said:
    Joemari Asencio said:
    Go to Control Panel
    Click System and Security
    Scroll down and Click Administrative Tools
    Double Click Computer Management
    Under Storage
    Click Disk Management
    Look for your drive. It will be listed there as unallocated space.
    Right click on the drive and set the new partition and then format it and give it a drive letter

    or here is the guide from Tom http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/265764-32-guide-installed-disk-system


    Hey, thanks for the response. So I found my HDD under disk management, and I right clicked it, but not sure which option to click. Here are the options it gives me when I right click the drive: 1)*CONVERT* to dynamic disk 2)*CONVERT* to GPT disk 3)Offline 4)Properties (obviously not this one) 5)Help (obviously not this one either). Which one of these 5 options do I click?


    How many storage drive you have aside from the drive where you installed your OS


    Aside from my SSD, which is where I installed Windows 8.1, I only have one HDD. Do I right click DISK 1 (my HDD) to create a partition, or do I right click where it says "931 GB unallocated"? If I right click where it says unallocated, there's an option to click "NEW SIMPLE VOLUME". Is that what I want to be clicking?


    Right click on the "931 GB unallocated"


    Ok, I rightclick that and it gives me 3 options: 1)New Simple Volume 2)Properties 3)Help. There are 4 other options that it doesn't allow me to click (they are not bolded like the 3 options I just listed), so I assume it's obviously not one of these 4 options. In other words, do I click the option "New SImple Volume" after right clicking 931 GB unallocated?
  9. Yes Click 1)New Simple Volume
  10. I'm currently on a laptop as I'm writing on these forums (Not on the machine/HDD I'm referring to), since I haven't installed my mobo's LAN drivers yet because I can't access my HDD on that PC, so I can't screenshot.
  11. Joemari Asencio said:
    Yes Click 1)New Simple Volume


    It worked! My HDD is now my primary partition, it has its own letter assigned and everything. Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it!
  12. However, it's labelled as a removable disk. That's alright, right? Sorry, I'm a little derp when it comes to this stuff.
  13. csgojoe said:
    However, it's labelled as a removable disk. That's alright, right? Sorry, I'm a little derp when it comes to this stuff.


    It is fine. But if you are bothered with the label try to follow this steps http://www.overclock.net/t/974023/fix-ahci-sata-drives-showing-in-safely-remove-hardware.

    You should ALWAYS back up your registry before you make changes - it only takes a second to do it, and if anything happens to it you'll need to reinstall...

    But if you have no advance knowledge in registry editing just leave it be.
  14. Joemari Asencio said:
    csgojoe said:
    However, it's labelled as a removable disk. That's alright, right? Sorry, I'm a little derp when it comes to this stuff.


    It is fine. But if you are bothered with the label try to follow this steps http://www.overclock.net/t/974023/fix-ahci-sata-drives-showing-in-safely-remove-hardware.

    You should ALWAYS back up your registry before you make changes - it only takes a second to do it, and if anything happens to it you'll need to reinstall...

    But if you have no advance knowledge in registry editing just leave it be.


    Ok, thanks! Ya lol, doesn't look like I'll be messing with this stuff, I have no clue how to go about doing any of that. Thanks for all your help, I seriously appreciate it!
Ask a new question

Read More

devices and drives Hard Drives Windows DRIVES Devices BIOS