100% CPU Usage

TheJJBman11

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015
Hey!

On Task Manager under performance, my CPU usage goes really high from not too doing much at all, it is normally around 40-60% but when I started up Chrome and nothing else it went to 100%. I imagine in game it goes really high too!

I have 8GB of ram, a stick might be faulty, but I cannot be bothered to check or replace until completely necessary.

What do you think is causing this? Thanks in advance

Here is a screenshot of Resource Manager at it's worst point recorded: http://imgur.com/04J9KXr

This is what my RAM looks like under Task Manager:
Physical Memory (MB)
Total - 8082
Cached - 4958 (fluctuates)
Available - 6254 (fluctuates)
Free - 1432 (fluctuates)

Solution
svchost.exe is a native Windows process, although some malware may spoof it.

If an instance of svchost.exe is taking up a lot of CPU, you can always right click on it and choose "Go to Services..." to view which services this particular instance of svchost.exe is holding. If these services are unused or extraneous, you can always disable them to reduce the CPU impact of those services.

You definately have a virus. sensordetector should not be doing that. Again, try malwarebytes and spybot, two standards of virus killers.

My son has a BS degree in computer security. That's what he recommends. Viruses are tricky things. You just might have to reload your operating system.

TheJJBman11

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015

So what will reinstalling Windows 7 entail?

TheJJBman11

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015

I did, Malwarebytes found one junk type file (which I have deleted) and SpyBot found 3 other things which also turned out to be junk type things. No serious malware or viruses found, but the problem still remains. I've had 4 virus scans and 1 full system scan going all day so I've turned it off for a bit :p

Entomber

Admirable

Hi,

This doesn't necessarily mean that you have a virus, it just may be a PUP. Do you know what "SensorDetector.exe" is?

If you don't know what that is or use it (I'm betting that you don't), search for it on your hard drive (or right click it in performance monitor/task manager -> go to process/file location) and delete it, along with any other files or folders associated with it.

Also, in taskmgr right click that instance of svchost.exe and choose the option "Go to Service(s)" and tell us which services are at fault.

TheJJBman11

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015

I know that Sensor Detector is software that comes with the GIGABYTE Motherboards. I don't know what it does or why it's there but I do know that it can be infected with a virus etc. Why would it be a PUP if it comes with GIGABYTE?
Thanks for the help :)

Entomber

Admirable
I'm not sure what SensorDetector is supposed to do, but it's definitely not supposed to take up 30% of your CPU while you're doing anything. It could be improperly installed or something - I would uninstall it and see if the high CPU usage persists.

TheJJBman11

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea, I'll try it out. SVCHOST.exe also takes up a lot of CPU and there are a couple of variations of itself, is that anything important or not?
http://imgur.com/04J9KXr

Entomber

Admirable
svchost.exe is a native Windows process, although some malware may spoof it.

If an instance of svchost.exe is taking up a lot of CPU, you can always right click on it and choose "Go to Services..." to view which services this particular instance of svchost.exe is holding. If these services are unused or extraneous, you can always disable them to reduce the CPU impact of those services.

Solution

TheJJBman11

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015

Ahh I see!
One last question for now (thanks for the help guys btw): How do you tell if a serious Windows application is being spoofed by a virus? - Is it by the name/location etc and where should legit files be?

Entomber

Admirable
the legitimate location should be in system32 or some other folder in Windows, but it's often hard to tell. Also, if you right click on the process and there are no services associated with it that's a safe bet that it's malicious.

TheJJBman11

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015

Awesome, thank you very much. I've contacted GIGABYTE just to cover all bases. Hope it all works :/