Solved

No boot disk detected or the disk has failed

I was swapping my computer parts back into my old case after a failed case swap, and it booted up fine to start with, but I accidentally put a screw in a hole on the part holding the hard drive, and I think the screw touched the hard drive's PCB. Now I keep getting the same error. I have important files on here, and not enough money for a hard drive recovery. If anybody can help, I'm looking for cheap recovery services, and easy way to get the files back myself, or even a way to fix it or make sure it's not dead. Thank you.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about boot disk detected disk failed
  1. Best answer
    Best bet would be to replace the pcb. I have doe it before but it is a risk that it will not work.

    http://www.donordrives.com/
  2. reedo_43 said:
    Best bet would be to replace the pcb. I have doe it before but it is a risk that it will not work.

    http://www.donordrives.com/


    I've looked at doing that, isn't that a risk for the hard drive, and also don't I need to replace a rom chip or something?
  3. It is not a risk to the drive, it is a risk that it may not work. If you scratched the pcb which a screw, I would replace the whole board.
  4. If you go that route, you need to match as many numbers on the drive as possible. With IDE drives, it was much easier and it just worked. Good luck!
  5. Does the drive still spin up? What is the model number?

    BTW, I recommend hdd-parts.com or onepcbsolution.com (same company).
  6. reedo_43 said:
    It is not a risk to the drive, it is a risk that it may not work. If you scratched the pcb which a screw, I would replace the whole board.


    fzabkar said:
    Does the drive still spin up? What is the model number?

    BTW, I recommend hdd-parts.com or onepcbsolution.com (same company).


    The drive doesn't spin, and I don't know the model number.
  7. If the drive doesn't spin, then the problem is usually on the PCB. However, if you wish to replace the PCB, then you need to be able to read the drive's model number off the label, or read the part number off the PCB.

    If you examine the drive's TVS diodes, there may even be a zero cost DIY fix.
  8. fzabkar said:
    If the drive doesn't spin, then the problem is usually on the PCB. However, if you wish to replace the PCB, then you need to be able to read the drive's model number off the label, or read the part number off the PCB.

    If you examine the drive's TVS diodes, there may even be a zero cost DIY fix.


    I found a company that I'm going to try if I get some money, instead. I don't have any prior knowledge of replacing PCBs, and I'm too nervous to try that. Does the company look trustworthy?
  9. The proprietor goes by the name of "bcometa" at the HDD Guru forum. He should be able to recover your data provided that your drive does not have serious internal problems (unlikely).

    It can't hurt for you to remove the PCB and test it with a multimeter (~US$5). You don't need to power up the PCB to do that. If you find a shorted TVS diode, then that may point to a faulty PSU, in which case your other drives would be at risk.
Ask a new question

Read More

Data Recovery Storage Cases Boot Hard Drives