Solved

Need help with updating my system's hardware for gaming (specifically for WoW)

Hey all,

I have been considering upgrading some of the hardware for my computer, I am mostly concerned about my video/graphics card, and from what I've been reading it's an integrated graphics, and apparently it's rated very low (it's a Intel HD Graphics 4600) and I currently run a 4th Genration Intel Core i5-4430 Processor, my motherboard is a HP 2AF3, and I currently have 12GB ram, I would just like help with upgrading my graphics card, and having a good understanding on what's compatible with my system, I am not looking to spend more than 300$ on a graphics card though, so could anyone recommend a good graphics card for my system? I would greatly appreciate it :)
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about updating system hardware gaming specifically wow
  1. I'd go with a gx 970. At least, that's what I'm going with in my build. A little over $300 though.
  2. Get the gtx 960 more than enough for wow and any other game at 1080p if you want to spend more you could go up to a 970.
    What Psu do you have in your system?
  3. Mos Eisley said:
    Hey all,

    I have been considering upgrading some of the hardware for my computer, I am mostly concerned about my video/graphics card, and from what I've been reading it's an integrated graphics, and apparently it's rated very low (it's a Intel HD Graphics 4600) and I currently run a 4th Genration Intel Core i5-4430 Processor, my motherboard is a HP 2AF3, and I currently have 12GB ram, I would just like help with upgrading my graphics card, and having a good understanding on what's compatible with my system, I am not looking to spend more than 300$ on a graphics card though, so could anyone recommend a good graphics card for my system? I would greatly appreciate it :)


    well to get a good graphics card you would have to get a good psu as weel so i will recommend bout and try to kee it under your budget as much as possible ..

    power supply =: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-pro-xps-550w-sew-atx12v-eps12v-power-supply/1307322086.p?id=mp1307322086&skuId=1307322086

    $54.99

    graphics card =: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-radeon-r9-280-graphic-card-1000-mhz-core-3-gb-ddr5-sdram-pci-express-3-0/1310709522.p?id=mp1310709522&skuId=1310709522

    $227.99

    you should be good to play just about any game out now with ease
  4. Best answer
    imho This would be the best upgrade you could do:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $294.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-26 09:43 EST-0500
  5. My power supply is an HP with 460W
  6. Should be ok for the 960 but you need to make sure you have a pci cable coming from the psu if not your going to need to upgrade in fact I suggest upgrading either way you'll probably need to if your psu doesn't at least supply 20A on a 12v rail should say somewhere on the psu itself.
  7. galactigus said:
    Should be ok for the 960 but you need to make sure you have a pci cable coming from the psu if not your going to need to upgrade in fact I suggest upgrading either way you'll probably need to if your psu doesn't at least supply 20A on a 12v rail should say somewhere on the psu itself.


    OP has budget enough for a tier1 Seasonic PSU and a gpu stronger than a GTX960 (Gigabyte R9 280X).
  8. Ok, so I got those 2 things, turns out, the PSU is too big for my case, would I need to get a new case in this scenario>
  9. You could cheapest one is about 30$ but as long as everything works you can mount that psu anywhere in your current case where it would be out of the way heck you can run it with the psu outside of the case if you wanted to not that I'd recommend it since again you can get a case for 30$ or less. If you insist on keeping the same case you can just find a place inside to set the psu or drill some holes and mount it in there again if there is room.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/nzxt-case-s210001
  10. galactigus said:
    You could cheapest one is about 30$ but as long as everything works you can mount that psu anywhere in your current case where it would be out of the way heck you can run it with the psu outside of the case if you wanted to not that I'd recommend it since again you can get a case for 30$ or less. If you insist on keeping the same case you can just find a place inside to set the psu or drill some holes and mount it in there again if there is room.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/nzxt-case-s210001


    This case looks perfect, I wasn't considering using my current case because even if I were able to mount the PSU that I got, the fan would be pointing towards the CPU, and I'm not sure that's a good idea, the one case you linked it looks perfect, it has vents at the bottom so it would be perfect for this PSU, also will the Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card fit in this case? I measured it and it looks a little bit over 11 inches but less than 11 and half inches, so around 11 inches 1/4-1/8
  11. You could use PCPartPicker in order to check size and compatibility. See:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $348.96
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-30 08:48 EST-0500

    " Compatibility Notes
    The NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case supports video cards up to 330mm long, but video cards over 230mm may block drive bays. Since the Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card is 296mm long, some drive bays may not be usable."

    Try to insert all parts. If you do it you will find out, for instance, that NZXT Source 210 (Black) has not a Front Panel USB 3.0 Ports. Big brother NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) has a Front Panel USB 3.0 Ports though.
  12. filippi said:
    You could use PCPartPicker in order to check size and compatibility. See:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $348.96
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-30 08:48 EST-0500

    " Compatibility Notes
    The NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case supports video cards up to 330mm long, but video cards over 230mm may block drive bays. Since the Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card is 296mm long, some drive bays may not be usable."

    Try to insert all parts. If you do it you will find out, for instance, that NZXT Source 210 (Black) has not a Front Panel USB 3.0 Ports. Big brother NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) has a Front Panel USB 3.0 Ports though.


    I was thinking of something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153, it looks like it has more room and more air ventilation, what is your opinion on this?
  13. I really like Rosewill cases. Rosewill CHALLENGER, Rosewill R5 (Black), Rosewill BlackHawk, Rosewill THOR V2 are all great choices.

    Right now this is the best price/performance:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147192&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
  14. One more question, this is my first time doing this, when I move the parts from the old case to the new one, is it safe to leave the processor and memory cards attached?
  15. Its ok.
  16. Thank you all for all the answers and the help, sorry for asking so many questions, it's my first time doing this with my computer, thanks all
  17. just do me a favor, right? Have fun upgrading your system :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Hardware Graphics Cards Computers World Of Warcraft Systems