Solved

Is Overclocking Necessary?

Everyone is always talking about overclocking their CPUs and GPUs. I have a PC Build and I wanted to know if it was necessary for me to overclock my CPU or GPU. And how would I benefit from overclocking?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about overclocking
  1. Best answer
    Necessary for what purpose?
    If the purpose is to get the most out of your CPU/GPU then overclocking is necessary.
    If your CPU/GPU do not cause issues with your gaming/computer use, then overclocking is not necessary.
  2. Not necessary . Usually it gives only 10% boost . If the temp are fine , might try it . If the CPU and the GPU allow it , of course.
  3. Don't worry about overclocking the graphics card.

    The reason for overclocking the pentium g3258 is because it only has two cores for processing information and no hyper threading. A lot of games and programs are now being programmed to use four cores because CPUs such as intel i5 and up, or nearly any AMD processor have four cores or more.

    The dual core intel i3 series gets around this by using hyper threading. Basically that means each of the two cores can send two threads of information so it can have four threads and process info the same way as a quad core, despite not having the power of a true quad core processor. So the i3 has four pathways for processing, just like the i5, but only two cores to do that processing. Whereas the i5 has a true four cores.

    The reason for having four cores vs two is if you have two cores working at 3GHZ they have a max processing power of 6GHZ.
    However if you have four cores working at 3GHZ you can have them all working on the same task and pushing 12GHZ of processing power.

    The Pentium chip has only two cores and no extra threads so it needs to be overclocked to handle those same tasks.
    Whereas the dual core i3 has four threads so it can handle most work programmed for a quad core CPU.

    Therefore the G2358 needs to be overclocked to catch up to the performance of the other CPUs with four threads so it can play modern games like Far Cry 4. EG: You can overclock the pentium chip to 4GHZ (or even 4.5GHZ with a quality cooler) so the processor is working at speeds a whole GHZ faster, can then beat the performance of an i3, and handle more of the modern tasks.
  4. To answer your question, overclocking is not ever necessary so long as your cpu can do the job.
    In the case of the G3258, which I love for a budget build, Intel gave it an unlocked multiplier.
    That lets you increase the multiplier from the default 32 to somewhere in the range of 40 to 45 depending on the quality of your particular chip.
    That gives you a 25% boost. Or, a 40% boost with a better cpu cooler.

    Comments on your build:

    1. 4gb is ok since you are on a budget. But, buy a 2 x 2gb kit so you can run in a faster dual channel mode.

    2. You did well to plan on replacing the logisys psu which is considered crap.
    But, why not buy a decent case in the first place.
    One option might be an antec case with a decent included psu:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129202

    Or, this looks to me to be a nice inexpensive case:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353050
  5. Did you notice they have a 480w power supply included with the case? I'm wondering if they even need to buy another power supply. EDIT: Ah just saw you said it was crap. Never mind. Yeah that idea of the cheap case without power supply looked good.

    geofelt said:
    To answer your question, overclocking is not ever necessary so long as your cpu can do the job.
    In the case of the G3258, which I love for a budget build, Intel gave it an unlocked multiplier.
    That lets you increase the multiplier from the default 32 to somewhere in the range of 40 to 45 depending on the quality of your particular chip.
    That gives you a 25% boost. Or, a 40% boost with a better cpu cooler.

    Comments on your build:

    1. 4gb is ok since you are on a budget. But, buy a 2 x 2gb kit so you can run in a faster dual channel mode.

    2. You did well to plan on replacing the logisys psu which is considered crap.
    But, why not buy a decent case in the first place.
    One option might be an antec case with a decent included psu:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129202

    Or, this looks to me to be a nice inexpensive case:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353050
  6. By the way superPcow, do you plan on upgrading the graphics card in the future? If so, I would recommend you spend a tiny bit more on a 500w PSU. That way if you earn more money in a couple of years you can get yourself an excellent graphics card such as the GTX 970 in the future without having to buy a brand new power supply.
  7. Justin Millard said:
    Did you notice they have a 480w power supply included with the case? I'm wondering if they even need to buy another power supply. EDIT: Ah just saw you said it was crap. Never mind. Yeah that idea of the cheap case without power supply looked good.

    geofelt said:
    To answer your question, overclocking is not ever necessary so long as your cpu can do the job.
    In the case of the G3258, which I love for a budget build, Intel gave it an unlocked multiplier.
    That lets you increase the multiplier from the default 32 to somewhere in the range of 40 to 45 depending on the quality of your particular chip.
    That gives you a 25% boost. Or, a 40% boost with a better cpu cooler.

    Comments on your build:

    1. 4gb is ok since you are on a budget. But, buy a 2 x 2gb kit so you can run in a faster dual channel mode.

    2. You did well to plan on replacing the logisys psu which is considered crap.
    But, why not buy a decent case in the first place.
    One option might be an antec case with a decent included psu:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129202

    Or, this looks to me to be a nice inexpensive case:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353050




    Justin Millard said:
    By the way superPcow, do you plan on upgrading the graphics card in the future? If so, I would recommend you spend a tiny bit more on a 500w PSU. That way if you earn more money in a couple of years you can get yourself an excellent graphics card such as the GTX 970 in the future without having to buy a brand new power supply.


    Everyone always says that built-in PSUs are total shit but I was wondering about getting just this case with a built-in PSU and I probably wont upgrade anything for a long while
  8. SuperPcow said:
    Justin Millard said:
    Did you notice they have a 480w power supply included with the case? I'm wondering if they even need to buy another power supply. EDIT: Ah just saw you said it was crap. Never mind. Yeah that idea of the cheap case without power supply looked good.

    geofelt said:
    To answer your question, overclocking is not ever necessary so long as your cpu can do the job.
    In the case of the G3258, which I love for a budget build, Intel gave it an unlocked multiplier.
    That lets you increase the multiplier from the default 32 to somewhere in the range of 40 to 45 depending on the quality of your particular chip.
    That gives you a 25% boost. Or, a 40% boost with a better cpu cooler.

    Comments on your build:

    1. 4gb is ok since you are on a budget. But, buy a 2 x 2gb kit so you can run in a faster dual channel mode.

    2. You did well to plan on replacing the logisys psu which is considered crap.
    But, why not buy a decent case in the first place.
    One option might be an antec case with a decent included psu:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129202

    Or, this looks to me to be a nice inexpensive case:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353050




    Justin Millard said:
    By the way superPcow, do you plan on upgrading the graphics card in the future? If so, I would recommend you spend a tiny bit more on a 500w PSU. That way if you earn more money in a couple of years you can get yourself an excellent graphics card such as the GTX 970 in the future without having to buy a brand new power supply.


    Everyone always says that built-in PSUs are total shit but I was wondering about getting just this case with a built-in PSU and I probably wont upgrade anything for a long while


    Well, just by looking at the price.... I can tell you now it would be completely worthless.
    A "Standard" (minimum) quality 430w PSU is about $30-40. With the product you linked, you get a "Case" AND a "480w PSU". I doubt the PSU would support your GPU, and if it did... it would be loud, inefficient, and wouldn't survive for long.
    I say "if" because I can't even find specs on the included PSU, if anyone can... please list them lol.


    As for the case itself, also worthless. For that price range you can get SO much better.... As a minimum, I'd recommend the DeepCool tesseract. Probably the best budget case on the market right now when it comes to build quality.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811853003&cm_re=tesseract-_-11-853-003-_-Product
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking GPUs CPUs