Solved

Need help deciding one three different options for CPU and motherboard!!

I have 3 options:

Option 1:
i5-4690K - A good processor better than option 2's
ASRock H97 Pro4 - average motherboard worse than option 2's
This option, I have decided to spend more on the CPU but that means I have to sacrifice on my motherboard. But I won't be able to overclock anyway, seeing as I don't have the correct motherboard.

Option 2:
i5-4460 - Good but not as good at option 1
MSI H97 Gaming 3 - A better motherboard for my needs. sacrifice cost on CPU for this.
This option I spend more on motherboard, but decided to still get an average CPU.

Option 3:
AMD FX8320 8 Core CPU - I've read that this is actually worse than the i5-4690K
MSI A88XM motherboard

I need help deciding between AMD and Intel for Gaming. Which of these are the best?

My other PC Specs:
MSI GeForce GTX 660
8GB DDR3 RAM
Corsair 550W PSU
Planning on getting a SSD for my boot drive.
22 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about deciding options cpu motherboard
  1. option 1 but with a z97 board
  2. thomasbing said:
    I have 3 options:

    Option 1:
    i5-4690K - A good processor better than option 2's
    ASRock H97 Pro4 - average motherboard worse than option 2's
    This option, I have decided to spend more on the CPU but that means I have to sacrifice on my motherboard. But I won't be able to overclock anyway, seeing as I don't have the correct motherboard.

    Option 2:
    i5-4460 - Good but not as good at option 1
    MSI H97 Gaming 3 - A better motherboard for my needs. sacrifice cost on CPU for this.
    This option I spend more on motherboard, but decided to still get an average CPU.

    Option 3:
    AMD FX8320 8 Core CPU - I've read that this is actually worse than the i5-4690K
    MSI A88XM motherboard

    I need help deciding between AMD and Intel for Gaming. Which of these are the best?

    My other PC Specs:
    MSI GeForce GTX 660
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    Corsair 550W PSU
    Planning on getting a SSD for my boot drive.


    personally I like intell
  3. legend001523 said:
    option 1 but with a z97 board


    z97 is quite expensive
  4. thomasbing said:
    legend001523 said:
    option 1 but with a z97 board


    z97 is quite expensive

    Then see if any motherboard better than option 1 is in your budget
  5. thomasbing said:
    legend001523 said:
    option 1 but with a z97 board


    z97 is quite expensive


    You buy a cpu that can be overclocked, h97 can't overclock, only z97, either get the 4690 and stick with the same board or get enough money to get a z97 with the 4690k
  6. legend001523 said:
    thomasbing said:
    legend001523 said:
    option 1 but with a z97 board


    z97 is quite expensive


    You buy a cpu that can be overclocked, h97 can't overclock, only z97, either get the 4690 and stick with the same board or get enough money to get a z97 with the 4690k


    Yeah I know that but I'm happy with just turbo boosting a CPU because then I can go from 3.20Ghz to 3.40Ghz. I'm quite certain that I won't want to overclock but it's just nice to know that I can if I have to. By the time I overclock, I'll have bought a new PC, so I guess I'll choose option 2. Are you sure that it's not worth getting AMD?
  7. thomasbing said:
    legend001523 said:
    thomasbing said:
    legend001523 said:
    option 1 but with a z97 board


    z97 is quite expensive


    You buy a cpu that can be overclocked, h97 can't overclock, only z97, either get the 4690 and stick with the same board or get enough money to get a z97 with the 4690k


    Yeah I know that but I'm happy with just turbo boosting a CPU because then I can go from 3.20Ghz to 3.40Ghz. I'm quite certain that I won't want to overclock but it's just nice to know that I can if I have to. By the time I overclock, I'll have bought a new PC, so I guess I'll choose option 2. Are you sure that it's not worth getting AMD?


    I'd go for option one still though, but your choice, and yep
  8. In the amd build you've picked an fm2 board which is incompatible with the chip anyway mate.
    None of those cpu's will limit a 660 anyway.
    I'd go option 2 if they're all similar budget ,the 8320 is a viable CPU but you'd have to change the mb & a decent one is around the $80 mark
  9. madmatt30 said:
    In the amd build you've picked an fm2 board which is incompatible with the chip anyway mate.
    None of those cpu's will limit a 660 anyway.
    I'd go option 2 if they're all similar budget ,the 8320 is a viable CPU but you'd have to change the mb & a decent one is around the $80 mark

    I didn't even notice. Thanks! There were two motherboards for AMD and I knew about the sockets, I just forgot about it completely. So would you suggest the AMD with a correct board or Option 2?
  10. if theyre all similar budget mate,option 2
  11. madmatt30 said:
    if theyre all similar budget mate,option 2


    Option 3 is the cheapest
  12. Option 2 seems a better selection. I don't see anypoint in getting a unlocked i5 for a motherboard that will probably not support overclocking. Option 1 is probably more expensive than Option 2 because of the unlocked processor unless the motherboard price difference is significant. Also you have the option of going with a higher clocked locked i5 and your choice of H97 motherboard

    Also I'm sure someone else and yourself have realized the incompatibility of an FM2+ motherboard and an AM3+ CPU. I'm just restating this because a few days ago I saw someone trying to sell basically the same A88XM motherboard and a FX 8-Core as a set on my local craigslist. I wouldn't want you to end up like that person the chance you went with AMD
  13. slyu9213 said:
    Option 2 seems a better selection. I don't see anypoint in getting a unlocked i5 for a motherboard that will probably not support overclocking. Option 1 is probably more expensive than Option 2 because of the unlocked processor unless the motherboard price difference is significant. Also you have the option of going with a higher clocked locked i5 and your choice of H97 motherboard

    Also I'm sure someone else and yourself have realized the incompatibility of an FM2+ motherboard and an AM3+ CPU. I'm just restating this because a few days ago I saw someone trying to sell basically the same A88XM motherboard and a FX 8-Core as a set on my local craigslist. I wouldn't want you to end up like that person the chance you went with AMD


    No I had noticeda few days before I posted the article. there were two AMD motherboards on my wishlist and I put in the one with the wrong socket by mistake
  14. thomasbing said:

    No I had noticeda few days before I posted the article. there were two AMD motherboards on my wishlist and I put in the one with the wrong socket by mistake


    Sounds good then.
  15. I just need help deciding between option 2 and option 3. Option 3 will save me money for my SSD whereas option 2 seems to be the favorite
  16. Best answer
    with option 3 you will need to buy a decent board mate
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga970aud3p
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-m5a97r20
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-970gaming

    which are $80-$100
    & maybe an aftermarket cooler if you have an interest in overclocking

    Im not dissing the amd build ,I have a 8320 overclocked on the ud3p board myself - Im quite happy ,it performs better,cooler & does not drasg nearly as much power as people would suggest - the above though will very likely throw it above build 2 cost wise,
  17. madmatt30 said:
    with option 3 you will need to buy a decent board mate
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga970aud3p
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-m5a97r20
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-970gaming

    which are $80-$100
    & maybe an aftermarket cooler if you have an interest in overclocking

    Im not dissing the amd build ,I have a 8320 overclocked on the ud3p board myself - Im quite happy ,it performs better,cooler & does not drasg nearly as much power as people would suggest - the above though will very likely throw it above build 2 cost wise,


    I like the AMD because they have more cores which work for newer games like the games I play. They're also a lot cheaper and I don't have to pay extra just so that I can get an Intel CPU K-series AND if i want to overclock with Intel I will have to get a better motherboard too. With overclocking, AMD is the best. I'm just a bit worried about all the things I am reading about people saying that Intel is a lot better... Thanks a lot :)
  18. Well it's always hard to make that decision. I personally don't own any Intel builds currently (all sold when low on money) but I know that they are great. The FX 8350 isn't a bad processor since it came out in 2012 but if you put it that way an 2600K (Sandy Bridge) isn't bad at all seeing that it came out in 2011 and still performs really well. The FX 8320 and FX 6300 too should and will provide 60+ Average in most games when paired with a very strong video card. The difference is their minimum FPS is lower than Intel processors and their maximum is lower too in a lot of cases. If you're gaming on a 60Hz monitor and not getting a better one then an 8350 may be enough for you. I received my R9 290 before i purchased an 8350 and when it was paired with my 860K I honestly was okay with the performance it gave at 1080P while on all ultra or custom with a mix of high/ultra. But going from an AMD Quad-Core to an AMD 8-Core did raise my performance.

    Here is what can happen with going with option 3. You're okay with the performance, you save some money right away for an SSD. Games are starting to use 8-Threads but only lightly. If games begin to use the 8 threads more efficiently then the FX 8320 will have new life. Additionally DX12 reduces CPU overhead which will give more life to the 8320 for DX12 games (not released yet). But if games still don't use 8-threads in the future, games are continuously optimized more for Intel's architecture, DX12 doesn't lower CPU overhead that much then the 8350 might not be enough for you. You'll have to upgrade to a new PC to get better performance.

    Going with option 2 you use more money initially and have to save longer for an SSD, but you have sure performance from the CPU which will virtually provide no bottlenecks to a single GPU. CPU runs cooler and uses less power. In the case games begin utilizing 8 threads more and receive a significant boost from the 4 HT threads then you can always upgrade to an i7 if you have money. But anytime an upgrade is needed in ~3 years it's usually best to just build off the newest technology instead of trying to upgrading just the CPU from the same old motherboard/socket.

    Go with what your gut tells you. If you're low on money or don't really want to spend longer to get an SSD then go with option 3. With option 2 it's pretty future proof compared to a 2012 platform at the least. Intel IS ALOT better but only when you need maximum everything. By that I kind of mean multiple video cards, higher resolutions, higher refresh rate monitor (120HZ+) and so on. An FX 8-Core should be fine paired with a single GPU with a average monitor with a 60hz refresh rate. Plus with the GPU you have I don't think the CPU will be much of a problem at all.
  19. slyu9213 said:
    Well it's always hard to make that decision. I personally don't own any Intel builds currently (all sold when low on money) but I know that they are great. The FX 8350 isn't a bad processor since it came out in 2012 but if you put it that way an 2600K (Sandy Bridge) isn't bad at all seeing that it came out in 2011 and still performs really well. The FX 8320 and FX 6300 too should and will provide 60+ Average in most games when paired with a very strong video card. The difference is their minimum FPS is lower than Intel processors and their maximum is lower too in a lot of cases. If you're gaming on a 60Hz monitor and not getting a better one then an 8350 may be enough for you. I received my R9 290 before i purchased an 8350 and when it was paired with my 860K I honestly was okay with the performance it gave at 1080P while on all ultra or custom with a mix of high/ultra. But going from an AMD Quad-Core to an AMD 8-Core did raise my performance.

    Here is what can happen with going with option 3. You're okay with the performance, you save some money right away for an SSD. Games are starting to use 8-Threads but only lightly. If games begin to use the 8 threads more efficiently then the FX 8320 will have new life. Additionally DX12 reduces CPU overhead which will give more life to the 8320 for DX12 games (not released yet). But if games still don't use 8-threads in the future, games are continuously optimized more for Intel's architecture, DX12 doesn't lower CPU overhead that much then the 8350 might not be enough for you. You'll have to upgrade to a new PC to get better performance.

    Going with option 2 you use more money initially and have to save longer for an SSD, but you have sure performance from the CPU which will virtually provide no bottlenecks to a single GPU. CPU runs cooler and uses less power. In the case games begin utilizing 8 threads more and receive a significant boost from the 4 HT threads then you can always upgrade to an i7 if you have money. But anytime an upgrade is needed in ~3 years it's usually best to just build off the newest technology instead of trying to upgrading just the CPU from the same old motherboard/socket.

    Go with what your gut tells you. If you're low on money or don't really want to spend longer to get an SSD then go with option 3. With option 2 it's pretty future proof compared to a 2012 platform at the least. Intel IS ALOT better but only when you need maximum everything. By that I kind of mean multiple video cards, higher resolutions, higher refresh rate monitor (120HZ+) and so on. An FX 8-Core should be fine paired with a single GPU with a average monitor with a 60hz refresh rate. Plus with the GPU you have I don't think the CPU will be much of a problem at all.


    I have an i3 at the moment and it still runs most of my games in really really high FPS on full graphics, AA and all that awesome stuff. On CS:GO I get 200FPS. I started realizing that when I started playing DayZ Standalone, my CPU was really bottlenecking my GPU and I was getting terrible FPS. Especially because DayZ is quite a CPU hungry game. I saw on YouTube that people with the same or similar GPU were running DayZ much better than I am because they were running it on a better CPU. Another reason I want to upgrade is because my motherboard is really bad. It only has 2 DIMM slots, 2 of the SATA ports are broken (also they're SATA 2 so if I get an SSD, It will also be bottlenecked) and the socket is outdated. The motherboard is also a micro-ATX. My graphics card is so big that it actually blocks on of the SATA slots (just my luck it actually blocked one of the working ones).

    Would a game like DayZ benefit from AMD or Intel?

    Thanks so much for the help. It has definitely helped me.
  20. I believe DayZ will benefit more from Intel's Single Threaded IPC dominance then AMD. From my memory that is.
  21. slyu9213 said:
    I believe DayZ will benefit more from Intel's Single Threaded IPC dominance then AMD. From my memory that is.


    is the intel more powerful?
  22. Yes Intel is. One way to put this is that a I7 at 2.5Ghz will perdorm the same or better than a stock (4Ghz) 8350 with the same GPU. DayZ is a game where CPU must have strong performance on 4-cores or less I believe. Majority of Dayz players side with Intel when I see topics abouth AMD vs Intel in that particular game.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Processors Intel i5 CPUs Motherboards Option