Solved

2 x 140mm or a 200mm fan for intake case fan?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/andrewkim9711/saved/L6rtt6
above is the link for my future rig.

the case I'm getting (Cooler Master 690 iii) supports 1x200mm fan/ 2x120mm or 140mm fans on the front of the case. (the case included with Cooler Master megaflow 200mm)

I heard 200mm fans are generally louder than 120mm and 140mm fans, and in my opinion, i think having two of 120mm or 140mm fans than just one 200mm fan has better airflow and it could be quieter.

what do you guys think?

should i go with 2 or 120mm or 140mm or just stick with a 200mm fan in the front?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 140mm 200mm fan intake case fan
  1. Best answer
    I think 2 high quality 140mm fans will be better than one 200mm fan. The 200mm fan itself might be quieter, but the sleeve bearing will get louder over time. 2 140mm fans with low noise adapters will be more than adequate for front intakes.
  2. Larger fan = quieter performance. 140mm fan x2 will have better airflow but will be slightly louder. If you're concerned about a few degrees, go with the double 140mm. Otherwise, go with the 200mm and it will be good still. Keep the bearing oiled and clean the case to limit bearing wear.
  3. hysteria357 said:
    I think 2 high quality 140mm fans will be better than one 200mm fan. The 200mm fan itself might be quieter, but the sleeve bearing will get louder over time. 2 140mm fans with low noise adapters will be more than adequate for front intakes.


    Anonymous said:
    Larger fan = quieter performance. 140mm fan x2 will have better airflow but will be slightly louder. If you're concerned about a few degrees, go with the double 140mm. Otherwise, go with the 200mm and it will be good still. Keep the bearing oiled and clean the case to limit bearing wear.


    oh nice!
    quietness is the first thing I'm looking for, and all else is second.
    if larger fans are quieter, then I'll go with a noctua 200mm fan.
    I don't need to overclock my pc that often (maybe once a week) since I'm not usually gaming, I'm doing more video editing.

    thanks :)
  4. andrewkim9711 said:
    hysteria357 said:
    I think 2 high quality 140mm fans will be better than one 200mm fan. The 200mm fan itself might be quieter, but the sleeve bearing will get louder over time. 2 140mm fans with low noise adapters will be more than adequate for front intakes.


    Anonymous said:
    Larger fan = quieter performance. 140mm fan x2 will have better airflow but will be slightly louder. If you're concerned about a few degrees, go with the double 140mm. Otherwise, go with the 200mm and it will be good still. Keep the bearing oiled and clean the case to limit bearing wear.


    oh nice!
    quietness is the first thing I'm looking for, and all else is second.
    if larger fans are quieter, then I'll go with a noctua 200mm fan.
    I don't need to overclock my pc that often (maybe once a week) since I'm not usually gaming, I'm doing more video editing.

    thanks :)


    Wait, the 200mm noctua fans are out? Go for that then. The 200mm fan market was pretty poor last I checked.
  5. hysteria357 said:
    andrewkim9711 said:
    hysteria357 said:
    I think 2 high quality 140mm fans will be better than one 200mm fan. The 200mm fan itself might be quieter, but the sleeve bearing will get louder over time. 2 140mm fans with low noise adapters will be more than adequate for front intakes.


    Anonymous said:
    Larger fan = quieter performance. 140mm fan x2 will have better airflow but will be slightly louder. If you're concerned about a few degrees, go with the double 140mm. Otherwise, go with the 200mm and it will be good still. Keep the bearing oiled and clean the case to limit bearing wear.


    oh nice!
    quietness is the first thing I'm looking for, and all else is second.
    if larger fans are quieter, then I'll go with a noctua 200mm fan.
    I don't need to overclock my pc that often (maybe once a week) since I'm not usually gaming, I'm doing more video editing.

    thanks :)


    Wait, the 200mm noctua fans are out? Go for that then. The 200mm fan market was pretty poor last I checked.


    nope... i thought there was. My mistake :/
    I decided to just use the provided Cooler Master Megaflow 200mm fan as I'm going to run it at low speed anyways. If the sleeve baring wares out I'll get upgrade to double 140mm fans.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooler Master Cases Fan Components