Solved

Will 2400 mhz ram work with 2133 (oc) motherboard

I have team Vulcan 8gb (2x4gb) 2400 ram with a msi 970 gaming motherboard that has a max ram capability of 2133 overclocked. Will this ram work with my rig. I concerned but would also like to know if this setup would utilize 2400 mem clock. Thank you for considering my questions.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 2400 mhz ram work 2133 motherboard
  1. It might, but it is more dependent on how good the memory controller is on the CPU. I've seen more AM3+ CPUs fail to get that fast with RAM than succeed.
  2. The memory itself will function, but not at 2400MHz. I'm pretty sure you will only be able to clock it up to 2133MHz.
  3. Damric called it right, the DRAM should work, but how fast it will/can run will depend on your CPU and how you set things up
  4. I do have a fx 8350 which runs at 4.0 ghz and boast up to 4.2. here is the link to my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Ransacker/saved/6Q9RsY - the optical drive and the wireless card.
  5. Best answer
    With 2x4GB might get it to 2400/10 or 11 will prob need some extra DRAM voltage and CPU/NB voltage (it feeds the MC (memory controller)
  6. i know this is not the motherboard section but... will only five stand offs work for a atx motherboard? i might be just about the construct my pc. it is however 11:50 (est) so i don't know if my mom is going to like it.
  7. Rannsacker said:
    i know this is not the motherboard section but... will only five stand offs work for a atx motherboard? i might be just about the construct my pc. it is however 11:50 (est) so i don't know if my mom is going to like it.

Use all the standoffs. You don't want the board flexing weird or warping over time.
  8. Best to use all to spread the support fully across the mobo, dont want a spot to drop and touch the case
  9. very true. thanks man and all for commenting and helping me out. It is very much appreciated.
Ask a new question

Read More

RAM Motherboards Memory