Solved

How many watts do I need for my computer?

I'm building my 1st computer and would like to know how many watts I need.

My specs are:

Intel i5-4690
Gigabyte GTX 970 (G1 gaming)
Asus Z97-Plus
Corsair H60 cooler
4 Corsair AF120 fans with the LEDs
2TB SSHD
Asus 24x DVD-RW drive
16GB RAM

I don't know how many of those things munch on the watts but that's what I'll be packing into my case.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about watts computer
  1. Best answer
    650w power supply would be fine.
  2. A good 550w psu would be just fine.
  3. I'll go with a 650. It sounds like it'll give me some good headroom (just in case).

    Thanks**
  4. +1 for 550w. More than plenty for this system. 650w will not really give you any more options than 550w will.
  5. If you go with anything larger than 550w atleast get a 750w unit as it will support a 2nd 970 down the road.
  6. bignastyid said:
    If you go with anything larger than 550w atleast get a 750w unit as it will support a 2nd 970 down the road.


    Lol, I doubt I'd ever get a 2nd VGC :-p.
  7. Then 550w would be ideal here to be honest.

    Also, have you bought all the parts already?
  8. tiny voices said:
    Then 550w would be ideal here to be honest.

    Also, have you bought all the parts already?


    At the moment, I've only got the VGC, the motherboard, and case on the way. Waiting on my credit card to reset its available credit so I can buy the rest of the stuff. Why do you ask?
  9. I would have made a few minor changes. No big deal.
  10. tiny voices said:
    I would have made a few minor changes. No big deal.


    What would you have changed? :-o
  11. You have a locked CPU with an overclocking motherboard. I would have gotten an H97 motherboard instead.

    Then I would get 8gb RAM, not 16gb.
  12. tiny voices said:
    You have a locked CPU with an overclocking motherboard. I would have gotten an H97 motherboard instead.

    Then I would get 8gb RAM, not 16gb.


    Oops... I might jump ship and get a 4690K instead. Also, I'm actually thinking about downgrading on the RAM too.
  13. I would definitely only get 8gb RAM. If you get the 4690k, you will need to buy an aftermarket CPU cooler in order to overclock.
  14. tiny voices said:
    I would definitely only get 8gb RAM. If you get the 4690k, you will need to buy an aftermarket CPU cooler in order to overclock.


    Got it. Thanks for the tips.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Corsair Intel i5