Solved

windows boots into safe mode and then automatically shuts down

Hi got a bit of an issue.

I was working on a pc that is full of virus/malware and the what not. So I when I first got on it was so slow very difficult to do anything. So I turned the start in safe mode option on through msconfig. and rebooted now when it reboots it loads into safe mode at the user log in screen for less then a second and shuts down. The pastern repeats over and over.
I have tried getting into advanced boot options (F8 and F9) but no go.
So I managed to get into start-up repair. It can not repair the drive on its own. I also used CMD in the start up repair with, chkdsk /f and sfc /scannow, both telling me the drive is in use restart. But when restarting, boots into safe mode again.

Any help to get out of the loop would be good thanks

ASUS Aspire AM3300-E1222
Windows 7 home pre
AMD athlon II x4
4GB of Ram
750GB
ATI Redeon
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows boots safe mode automatically shuts
  1. Remove the hdd and put it in a working system then do a full scan with something
  2. Sorry about that, right after i finished typing this up the second startup repair I did found the errors and fixed them. I was able to get back into the OS.

    Thanks
  3. Cool. Use something like adwcleaner. See if it picks up anything else

    Run it click on scan wait for it to finish then click on clean wait for it it to finish. Then reboot

    Close browsers first
  4. Paul NZ said:
    Cool. Use something like adwcleaner. See if it picks up anything else


    I have a list of several I use to fully clean the systems I work on.
    Adwcleaner is part of it .:)

    Malwearbytes
    Hitman Pro
    Adwcleaner
    NOD32
    CCleaner (last to remove/fix any broken registry files)
  5. Best answer
    LegacyOfWax said:
    So I managed to get into start-up repair. It can not repair the drive on its own. I also used CMD in the start up repair with, chkdsk /f and sfc /scannow, both telling me the drive is in use restart. But when restarting, boots into safe mode again.

    A bootable disk antivirus should remove infections.. and SFC may restore infected and corrupted files, so any of the two may allow normal boot.

    1. 15 Free Bootable Antivirus Tools
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/system-security/tp/free-bootable-antivirus-software.htm

    2. Run SFC with offline option.

    sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=c:\ /OFFWINDIR=c:\windows

    Where "c:" is your system drive

    3. Options for running sfc /scannow from startup repair:
    c:\windows\system32>SFC/scannow

    Try placing a space between the sfc and "/". Like so:
    C:\windows\system32>sfc /scannow

    How to Check / Repair the Windows System Files from a Command Prompt at Boot
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139810-sfc-scannow-run-command-prompt-boot.html

    4. In case you need to repair the startup from the CMD windows.
    Use Bootrec.exe in the Windows Startup Repair to troubleshoot startup issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392
  6. Chicano said:

    How to Check / Repair the Windows System Files from a Command Prompt at Boot
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139810-sfc-scannow-run-command-prompt-boot.html

    4. In case you need to repair the startup from the CMD windows.
    Use Bootrec.exe in the Windows RE to troubleshoot startup issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392


    Thank you these where helpful for next time i have an issue like this
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Safe Mode Safemode