Solved

Video signal issues: PCIE works, Onboard does not (via HDMI to TV)

Hey guys,

Big fan of the forums and all the help this community had given to me over last few years!

I've been all over google and this forum trying to find an answer but to no avail.

I have built a new system:
CPU: A8-7600 (stock sink)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400

So that's a barebone system i have going on in my living room at the moment (it will be a HTPC/Game machine when i'm done with it).

My problem is that:
  • Using on board graphics from A8 (R7) via HDMI connection produces no video image (or just a blank screen)
  • Using dedicated PCIE graphics card does post into UEFI, and seems to work fine.

This is fairly frustrating as I've done RMA's for both CPU and Motherboard for that exact same issue about a week ago, and this are all brand new components, with the exact same problem. Motherboard box did arrive selotaped, so I'm not sure perhaps it is a repackaged / refurb version (ordered off amazon), not even sure that makes any difference.

I will be using the system with only onboard graphics for a while, so using PCIE graphics card isn't an option, and I really want to find out what is going on with the onboard one.

I've gone through the usual troubleshooting steps:
  • system won't POST thread,
  • I have disconnected RAM, which produced the beeps i was looking for
  • ran a memtest86+ test (albeit not to completion, it's still running now, but 50% = no errors)
  • I have changed PSU
  • I don't have access to another stick of ram that will fit into DDR3 slot, so can't test that unfortunately
  • tried all possible combinations of RAM seating configurations (have two slots, so altogether 6 different combinations)
  • whilst using the dedicated PCIE graphics, have forced use of onboard graphics, which meant that i couldn't even see the bios again, until i reset the CMOS
  • reset CMOS (without taking batter out)
  • updated bios from rev 2.1 to 2.4, though my CPU is listed as compatible since 2.1 on ASRock website

Not sure what else to try really, I'm absolutely stumped. Would really appreciate any advice, however obvious you might have.

Thank you!

Danny T
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about video signal issues pcie works onboard hdmi
  1. Have you tried without the dedicated GPU inserted into the motherboard? If the GPU is installed into the motherboard the on board video won't work.
  2. sincreator said:
    Have you tried without the dedicated GPU inserted into the motherboard? If the GPU is installed into the motherboard the on board video won't work.


    Yup, I did try removing the dedicated card, still same issue, unfortunately. I initially only had CPU and Ram installed on the motherboard, when i saw no signal coming through the onboard graphics, in desperate attempt i tried plugging Radeon HD 5450 one from my friend's PC, which is when it worked.

    Subsequently, i've been plugging and unplugging the PCIE card trying to make it work.

    Thank you for your reply though!
  3. Best answer
    Have you got the latest AMD driver installed? If you use a dedicated card to get to the desktop, then make sure the driver you are installing supports the APU properly. If you are using an older 5450 the new APU may need a different driver to function properly.

    Here is the latest driver for the APU. It should also work for the HD5450: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalyst14-9WINReleaseNotes.aspx
  4. sincreator said:
    Have you got the latest AMD driver installed? If you use a dedicated card to get to the desktop, then make sure the driver you are installing supports the APU properly. If you are using an older 5450 the new APU may need a different driver to function properly.

    Here is the latest driver for the APU. It should also work for the HD5450: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalyst14-9WINReleaseNotes.aspx


    If i understood you correctly, you think I should use the dedicated graphics to install windows, install the driver you linked to for my APU, and then onboard would work. Is that correct?

    I'm running memtest at the moment, but as soon as it passes (10 minutes) will try your solution and report back.

    Thanks!
  5. Yes that is what I am saying. It is possible that there are certain drivers on your motherboard disk that may need to be installed for the APU to function properly. In order to install those drivers windows should be installed and fully updated first. Then install the latest graphic driver and remove the dedicated card. I got a feeling it will work then. Hope it helps.
  6. sincreator said:
    Yes that is what I am saying. It is possible that there are certain drivers on your motherboard disk that may need to be installed for the APU to function properly. In order to install those drivers windows should be installed and fully updated first. Then install the latest graphic driver and remove the dedicated card. I got a feeling it will work then. Hope it helps.


    That did it! I was sceptical, doing just that got me to use on board video to display the picture properly.
    I no longer see UEFI BIOS however, that's not such a huge issue. Just means that any time i have to reinstall via bootable drive, i'd have to score a dedicated graphics card somewhere.

    I'm a little lost however, as to what had actually happened/caused it, and what was the reason your solution worked. Are there any articles / documents you could link me to, or perhaps if you could suggest some search terms, i'd love to learn more about the issue.

    No worries if not, I really appreciate your answer regardless!
  7. I can't really link you to anything. It is just a common mistake that some people make when building a new computer, so it came with experience really. I've run into this problem before when helping friends with their builds.

    PS: Don't forget to select the best answer please. :)
  8. sincreator said:
    I can't really link you to anything. It is just a common mistake that some people make when building a new computer, so it came with experience really. I've run into this problem before when helping friends with their builds.

    PS: Don't forget to select the best answer please. :)


    Sure, solved in record times, too :)
    Thank you again!
Ask a new question

Read More

AMD ASrock Graphics