Why isnt my GPU at full usage? Low framerates?

Hi, I've recently built a new pc and have been playing Star Wars: Old republic (ultra settings), however I noticed my computer is not using all resources, and I am getting low framerates (down to 30fps at times but very fluctuating).

MY spec:
AMD FX 8350 4Ghz
Gigabyte GTX 760 OC version 2GB
Corsair Vengeance 1x8GB 1600Mhz
Gigabyte 970A-UD3P motherboard
Corsair 600W PSU

There seems to be no ram, cpu or gpu bottleneck after observing stats? Temps seem ok too.

Game screenshots with stats:
Screenshots

Any ideas whats causing the problem? GPU does full usage on L4D2.
67 answers Last reply
More about isnt gpu full usage low framerates
  1. Have you made any changes to the game ini files for tweaks? Any modifications?

    I am not familiar with the game, so I don't even know if that is possible.
  2. Even if your gpu is not at its max utilization that does not mean it isn't the bottleneck.

    For example you may have enough gpu processing power to get 60 fps but because you choose 16 times anti-aliasing your video card ran out of video memory and caused your fps to sink.

    This may not be your exact case but running any semi modern game at ultra with a geforce 760 at 1080p at 60 fps or higher is just not going to happen.
  3. derekullo said:
    Even if your gpu is not at its max utilization that does not mean it isn't the bottleneck.

    For example you may have enough gpu processing power to get 60 fps but because you choose 16 times anti-aliasing your video card ran out of video memory and caused your fps to sink.

    This may not be your exact case but running any semi modern game at ultra with a geforce 760 at 1080p at 60 fps or higher is just not going to happen.


    +1
  4. Looking over your screenshots your GPU utilization was around 70% as long as there was 1 or less people in the scene.
    As soon as more people start to join your gpu utilization starts to drop while the cpu usage stays around 24-30%.
    This points to a cpu bottleneck.
  5. In other words the bottleneck lies with both the gpu and cpu.
    The cpu is the most apparent.
  6. No modifications or tweaks made to game.

    I guess good consideration about gpu still bottlenecking while not at full utilisation.

    I have made a few more discoveries to help:

    Ultra 1080p - 35fps, 50-60% GPU usage
    Ultra 800x600 - 30fps (actually slightly worse??) 50-60% GPU usage
    V.low 1080p - 45fps 12% GPU usage
    V.low 800x600 - 48fps 7% GPU usage

    Does any of this point to a bottleneck? And if not, how can I increase usage? Thanks.

    Although I can accept not being able to play on max with good fps, yes ok fine, but lowest settings, only 45fps??? No way, it's weird.
  7. derekullo said:
    In other words the bottleneck lies with both the gpu and cpu.
    The cpu is the most apparent.


    ahh yes the classic "your entire pc is a bottleneck" ;)

    How can a cpu bottleneck at 24-30% ;p

    btw thanks for all responses!
  8. Check the NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL.
    The latest driver enabled DSR- do you have it ON or OFF?
  9. cowboydude99 said:
    Check the NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL.
    The latest driver enabled DSR- do you have it ON or OFF?


    Under global:
    DSR - Factors - off
    DSR - Smoothness - off and greyed out

    Under game cant see any DSR options. This help?

    All other options should be pretty much standard, except from power options changed to "prefer max performance"
  10. Maybe you mentioned this but I didn't find it...

    Have you removed the drivers and reinstalled them?

    if DSR isn't on, then I don't know why you would see the same FPS on max and low settings...
  11. Havent tried a driver reinstall, although only had this pc a couple of weeks, you think its worth doing?
  12. Yes. Since I have no other conclusions! It doesn't hurt, just make sure to do it the way I listed.

    If it still isn't working right- try another GPU.
  13. "How can a cpu bottleneck at 24-30% ;p"

    If you have an 8 core cpu and the game only uses 2 cores and maxes out those 2 cores you will have a total utilization of 25% and a cpu bottleneck.
  14. V.low 800x600 - 48fps 7% GPU usage

    This alone points to a CPU bottleneck.

    Your GPU is basically doing nothing while the CPU is trying to catch up.
  15. "ahh yes the classic "your entire pc is a bottleneck""

    An AMD chip paired with a last generation mid-range card ... I'm a technician not a magician lol
  16. More screenshots showing each CPU core usage - seems like its using enough of them, and none are maxing out. CPU bottleneck still possible??
  17. Install Geforce Experience.
    Let it update your drivers and change the game settings.
  18. From looking at other benchmarks with lesser equipment something does look off with your setup.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/star-wars-gaming-tests-review,3087-8.html

    From this chart it's as if your game was performing like it had a dual core chip, although it could be a graphics card issue.
  19. sounds like adaptive vsync turn it off
  20. Also try this just for some insight.

    Find an area in the game with nobody in it, like a small hut or similar sized room, and stare straight at a wall so you are unable to see anything else and let us know what your fps is.
  21. derekullo said:
    Install Geforce Experience.
    Let it update your drivers and change the game settings.


    Already installed, drivers updated. Tried Choosing "optimum settings", seems that it just maxed the game out. No difference playing with these settings sadly.
  22. Do try disabling adaptive v-sync if it was turned on. You said this was a fresh install so i did not think that would be turned on.
    To disable goto the nvidia control panel and the setting is under vertical sync. Set it to "use application setting". But this setting should be turned off by default.
  23. Staring at a wall was gonna be my test to see if your fps was artificially limited in some way. You should get 60+ fps staring straight into a wall. If not than something is limiting your fps.
  24. derekullo said:
    Also try this just for some insight.

    Find an area in the game with nobody in it, like a small hut or similar sized room, and stare straight at a wall so you are unable to see anything else and let us know what your fps is.


    Played around with V sync with no success.

    FPS staring at wall climbs to a peak of 110fps

    FPS in room of around 7 people gives me around 80fps
  25. What is your cpu / gpu usage while staring into said wall?
  26. download the heaven benchmark and watch your usage while its running
  27. or valley both will max out the gpu
  28. derekullo said:
    Do try disabling adaptive v-sync if it was turned on. You said this was a fresh install so i did not think that would be turned on.
    To disable goto the nvidia control panel and the setting is under vertical sync. Set it to "use application setting". But this setting should be turned off by default.


    I tried forcing it off with nvidia control panel, and trying application settings, no hope
  29. if its going to 110 fps vsync is not on
  30. derekullo said:
    What is your cpu / gpu usage while staring into said wall?


    Oops picked Solved instead of reply XD staring at wall is 22% CPU 54% GPU on ultra 1080p
  31. Found something

    http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=764850

    AMD Overdrive is bad lol.
  32. I will try heaven bench although GPU was giving me very good performance on L4D2, consistent 130fps+ on max
  33. Disabling AMD Overdrive in the bios is preferable if you know how.
  34. derekullo said:
    Found something

    http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=764850

    AMD Overdrive is bad lol.


    I will try this and see if it helps!
  35. derekullo said:
    Disabling AMD Overdrive in the bios is preferable if you know how.


    disabled in bios but had no effect on fps sadly :(
  36. Weird... Maybe your power supply is limiting the potential or the CPU is somewhat bottlenecking it.
  37. The tomshardware review of the game had lesser graphics cards using lesser amd processors and getting 60 fps on very high.
  38. A bad power supply could be a cause but you would see much more than low fps from a failing power supply.
    600 watts is more than enough for this setup.
  39. What other games do you play besides left for dead 2?
    Anything more graphic like Crysis, Battlefield 4 or Bioshock?
  40. Is it just this game that has low fps?
  41. Havent tried other games but I have a feeling there is nothing wrong with my hardware, maybe the game is just badly calibrated interally, there are lot of people with fps problems.
  42. Try reinstalling the game and reseting all your nvidia settings to default.
    Also try another game to see if the fps problems extend to them as well.
    Warframe is a decently graphic game that is completely free to play.

    Full Disclosure: I played Warframe for a week. Didn't really care for it but it is free and graphic.
  43. Your hardware is much better than the hardware used when Tom's test it years ago.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/star-wars-gaming-tests-review,3087-8.html

    Your processor and graphics card didn't even exist when that review was written.
  44. coolcole01 said:
    download the heaven benchmark and watch your usage while its running


    Heaven Benchmark Results! I paused the test on the most intense frame:

  45. derekullo said:
    Try reinstalling the game and reseting all your nvidia settings to default.
    Also try another game to see if the fps problems extend to them as well.
    Warframe is a decently graphic game that is completely free to play.

    Full Disclosure: I played Warframe for a week. Didn't really care for it but it is free and graphic.


    Tried resetting settings, no difference. I will try a full game reinstall although will take a day to download all that shit. A point might be to note my game is still only 85% downloaded, but it says you can play the starter worlds.
  46. Make sure the game is completely installed before running any benchmarks or making decisions.
    Do try installing another graphic game or benchmarking utility so you can see if your low fps extends to that as well.
  47. Err just noticed you linked the Heaven Benchmark.
    I am unfamiliar with that benchmark but the numbers it is giving for High is matching your Ultra settings for Star Wars :(
  48. But do wait for your game to finish installing before you make any decisions. For all we know the computer is fighting between giving you high fps and installing the game. Your cpu usage was never a problem but lets just wait till the game is finished installing.
  49. derekullo said:
    Err just noticed you linked the Heaven Benchmark.
    I am unfamiliar with that benchmark but the numbers it is giving for High is matching your Ultra settings for Star Wars :(


    Well firstly, this benchmark is most likely a lot heavier than star wars. Secondly, I am getting shit fps on low settings. If I could get constant 60fps on any settings I wouldnt be here.

    Also if you look at my fps for star wars, on lowest everything, I only got 45fps. On the benchmark I got 146.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Computers Low FPS Framerate Gigabyte GPUs Bottleneck