New FX 8350, system freezing, then entire computer failing to boot after reset

simpl1

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
New member here, I checked online for this specific issue and haven't found anything I would say matches it, so if anyone has seen it before my apologies!

A few days ago I installed an FX 8350 8-core to replace my older FX 4100 on my MSI 990FXA-GD65 motherboard, and at first it seemed to perform admirably. Just yesterday and today however, my computer would freeze with sometimes faint and other times not so faint vertical bars appearing on my entire monitor. Hard-resetting via the reset button or power button seemed the only way to fix this, but I found it was happening after playing about one minute's worth of Battlefield 4, which I was able to replicate 3 times. During two of the hard-resets, I noticed my machine simply wouldn't start up, the motherboard's lights would light up (the lights for the RAM modules), all my system's fans would run, and the Hard Drive access light would flash for a bit, but there would be no video and my keyboard lights and mouse lights wouldn't light up. I was able to fix that by shutting the machine down, waiting a minute or two, and turning it back on, and it would boot just fine.

However, on the third hard-reset using the reset button, my computer failed to start up again, and after letting it sit for a while it still won't start up. I left it off for half an hour, came back, and it still wouldn't start. I was afraid I may have fried the processor somehow, so I pulled it out and put back in my old FX 4100. Still nothing, same lack of output, but fans and internal lights would turn on. I've been trying turning it on numerous times now, and I'm sitting here wondering if I somehow fried my motherboard? When I installed my FX 8350, I went into the BIOS and made sure things were set to 'auto' where applicable, as I usually didn't encounter problems when I set things to that, and I made sure it was clocked to its specified 4.0GHz, so no overclocking. Could I have caused a problem by not specifying values in the BIOS for the CPU?

I updated my BIOS a few weeks before getting the FX 8350, and the processor had been released well before then, so I would assume I had the most up to date BIOS. I know my motherboard is a slightly older one, so I checked on MSI's site to make sure it could handle this processor, and the FX 8350 is listed as being compatible.

While these freezes were happening, and after my machine has gotten bricked the ONLY hardware change I'd made was changing out my CPU, I used the same large monstrous Zalman cooler and reapplied the thermal paste, and its temps under load weren't going over 56 degrees C, which I've read is well within an acceptable range? Nothing else changed, same drives, same PSU, same motherboard, same RAM, same video card, etc etc, and it failed to boot only after I had hit the reset button, so I would assume it wasn't caused by static discharge (I wear a grounding strap whenever I open the case up anyways) or by me damaging the motherboard directly (I did do that to another mobo yeeeaaars ago with a screwdriver).

I tried to follow what I could from this guide:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1185635/how-to-fix-your-computer-that-wont-post-or-has-an-ff-error-code
But my board makes no beeps at all and won't even output video, so most of that guide doesn't seem to be relevant at the moment.

My system has the following in it:
-MSI 990FXA-GD65 motherboard
-AMD FX8350 8 core processor
-GSkill DDR3 1600 PC3 12800 4GBx4 RAM
-ATI HD7970 Sapphire video card
-Samsung 512GB SSD
-PC Power & Cooling 750W Silencer PSU

There are a collection of 4 HDD's in the system that have been there for years also.

If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated!

Solution

Alright, I'm glad you mentioned the video card, because I started doing some more testing and swapped out for my old ATI HD 4850, and bam, I got video on startup. Haven't done anything more yet, but I believe this whole issue may be with my newer card, the ATI HD 7970, but the thing's only 2 years old and...

Cristi72

Admirable
Hello,

The PSU is a decent one, but you should check the voltages in BIOS and in Windows (install HWMonitor, let it running and observe the minimum value), especially the +12V one, it should not drop under +12V at any time.

On the other hand, the vertical artifacts could be generated by some GPU issues; take out the GPU from the system and mount it back (or mount it in the second PCI-e x16 slot), see if the issue goes away.

simpl1

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014

Thank you for the reply Cristi! I went ahead and swapped the video card to the other PCI-e slot and tried to boot it, but no improvement. I swapped it back to its original slot, and still nothing, no output on anything, but motherboard still lights up right next to the RAM, fans run, and the HD access light flashes for a bit.

I would check on the voltages, as I did install HWMonitor a while back, but the machine won't even boot to begin with, so unfortunately I have no idea if that was an issue. I will however remember to check that once I have my machine able to start up again, I wasn't aware that was an important factor.

Today I was wondering, if the voltage was set too low for the CPU, is it possible that it could have resulted in permanent damage to the motherboard? I left it on 'auto' as I wasn't completely sure what voltage it should be set at just yet, but the board is a slightly older one and I'm concerned it may not be able to properly 'autoset' a proper voltage.

simpl1

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014

Alright, I'm glad you mentioned the video card, because I started doing some more testing and swapped out for my old ATI HD 4850, and bam, I got video on startup. Haven't done anything more yet, but I believe this whole issue may be with my newer card, the ATI HD 7970, but the thing's only 2 years old and hasn't gotten excessively high temperatures, and it only happened a few days after I installed the FX 8350 CPU. Still not really sure what to make of this, but I'm going to check the voltage as you mentioned, and make sure that the video card settings in CCC don't have it overclocked.

Solution

fboecom

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
Just as an idea, I upgraded a Phenom X4 to an FX 8350 on my msi fx890gd70, but when you do those upgrades good chance you upgrade or at least touch something else... in my case I added 4Gb of Memory. Even when also Kingston and both ddr3 of course, it turned out (after days of suspecting the fx8350) it was incompatible or faulty memory. First thing to check (which I did of course) is to see the cpu compatibility at the msi site as well as get the BIOS at the required level. I also set BIOS values at safe default and only after that possibly increase some. Then if the cpu is supported, fair chance it is not the cpu but in fact another cause - as in mine, as in yours.