Solved

Power supply for GTX 980 SLI

Hello power supply experts, i want to ask you if a Corsair AX760 power supply is more than enough to handle 2 GTX 980 for like 5 years. If it's not enough, will the Corsair Ax860 do the job without risk of running out of enough energy?
In a negative case, which power supply do you recomend me?
Country: Spain
Detail of the gaming build
- i7 4790k
- Maximus Hero VII
- EVO 500 GB
- 8 GB RAM
- 980 SLI

Power supply of the store (click right and select 'precio' so it shows you the PSUs in price order)
http://www.pccomponentes.com/fuentes_alimentacion.html
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about power supply gtx 980 sli
  1. Both made by the best Super Flower,.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $84.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-20 16:10 EDT-0400


    Or for a little spare power.


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $114.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-20 16:09 EDT-0400
  2. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_970_and_980_reference_review,7.html

    Quote:
    Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

    GeForce GTX 970 or 980 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit.
    GeForce GTX 970 or 980 in 2-way SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have an 800 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

    If you are going to overclock your GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina.


    Given that their system is a power hungry 3960k, you could get by with 750 watts....though I'd go with a 850 for the extra headroom.

    1st tier - Seasonic X Series

    2nd tier - EVGA G2 / P2
    Corsair HX / AX
    Seasonic M12

    3rd Tier - Seasonic S12
    EVGA B2
    Antec HCG / HCP
  3. I'd get atleast a 850w unit especially if you plan on doing any overclocking.
  4. JackNaylorPE said:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_970_and_980_reference_review,7.html

    Quote:
    Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

    GeForce GTX 970 or 980 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit.
    GeForce GTX 970 or 980 in 2-way SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have an 800 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

    If you are going to overclock your GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina.


    Given that their system is a power hungry 3960k, you could get by with 750 watts....though I'd go with a 850 for the extra headroom.

    1st tier - Seasonic X Series

    2nd tier - EVGA G2 / P2
    Corsair HX / AX
    Seasonic M12

    3rd Tier - Seasonic S12
    EVGA B2
    Antec HCG / HCP




    Do you all think this is a great choise? (yess, i will be overclocking)
    http://www.amazon.es/Seasonic-X-750--Fuente-de-alimentacion/dp/B002VAFDQS/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1411246420&sr=1-1&keywords=seasonic+x
    This seasonic power supplies are extremely expensive, I can't go any higher with the price.
  5. my post was a seasonic 80+ gold 750w at only $99 usd its a great psu
  6. NormH said:
    my post was a seasonic 80+ gold 750w at only $99 usd its a great psu


    Would the AX860 be enough?
    http://www.pccomponentes.com/fuentes_alimentacion-8/order/precio/
  7. its by corsair so it will be a good psu but if the price is doable id go with something by xfx or seasonic or evga
  8. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=377
    Read the Review ^


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $114.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-20 17:37 EDT-0400
  9. Best answer
    Farapon said:
    NormH said:
    my post was a seasonic 80+ gold 750w at only $99 usd its a great psu


    Would the AX860 be enough?
    http://www.pccomponentes.com/fuentes_alimentacion-8/order/precio/


    Yes, and the AX860 is made by Seasonic.
  10. Farapon said:

    Do you all think this is a great choise? (yess, i will be overclocking)
    http://www.amazon.es/Seasonic-X-750--Fuente-de-alimentacion/dp/B002VAFDQS/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1411246420&sr=1-1&keywords=seasonic+x
    This seasonic power supplies are extremely expensive, I can't go any higher with the price.


    The Seasonic X series is a great line.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gtx User Experience Power Supplies SLI Corsair