Solved

When I run some games and during other stuff sometimes goes black screen and fan races on my gpu

I just recently bought a new cpu I7 4790 and motherboard z97 sabertooth mk2, installed them and now when I run games (I was mid updating the gpu driver, so I had went and re downloaded it and installed it also a it happened when I was just on the internet) I black screen and fan races on my gpu gtx680, my gpu will eventually slow down or stop and you can here the game still but can't see it. So I have to hard shutdown.

Also before I updated gpu driver an error popped up about video driver I think it wasn't up for long that why I updated and while I was mid updating the gpu driver it did the black screen and fan so I hard shut it down, and went and re downloaded it and installed it that time successfully

cpu I7 4790
mobo z97 sabertooth mk2
gpu gtx680
PSU thermaltake smart m850w

This is really driving me crazy so if anyone could please help it would be appreciated.
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about run games stuff black screen fan races gpu
  1. What is your PSU and GPU?
  2. cabudinen said:
    What is your PSU and GPU?


    I have a gtx 680 and a thermaltake smart m850w
  3. Are you running beta drivers? if you are roll back to the latest WHQL.
  4. cabudinen said:
    Are you running beta drivers? if you are roll back to the latest WHQL.


    I am not using the beta I have 337.88 driver
  5. Almost sounds like the gpu is going through thermal shutdown. What kind of airflow do you have, intaked/exhaust - case?
  6. Karadjgne said:
    Almost sounds like the gpu is going through thermal shutdown. What kind of airflow do you have, intaked/exhaust - case?


    I have two intake and one exaust 120mm silenx fans in a thermaltake commander case

    When it was running I was constantly tabbing out to check temp they seemed fine
  7. ok, now, what kind of gpu, reference? or 3rd party cooling? and when was the last time you pulled the shroud off the gpu and took a toothbrush to the fins?
  8. The crashing isn't just when gaming it happened when I was mid updating the gpu driver, so I had went and re downloaded it and installed it also a few minutes ago it crashed when I was just on the internet. I'm getting really angry with this thank for the help so far though.
  9. Karadjgne said:
    ok, now, what kind of gpu, reference? or 3rd party cooling? and when was the last time you pulled the shroud off the gpu and took a toothbrush to the fins?


    I never removed the shroud to clean probably should, but the number stayed in I think around 65, not sure what you mean by reference
  10. Just remembered another thing one game crashed and I read an error message saying something about the gpu driver didn't get to read it completly because it disappeared when I was using task manger to close game that when I was updating to newest driver it did the speed up and black screen mid install so I re downloaded it and installed it again.
  11. Best answer
    there are 2 designs of video cards. Reference (the ones first designed by AMD or Nvidea) and they have a fan at one end and pump the air out of the case at the other. 3rd Party designs usually have a larger fan near the middle and blow air across fins and the heat vents out into the case.

    Either design works well and the 3rd party is definitely easier to clean. The reference style doesn't use fins as such but square hollow tubes. inevitably these tubes get clogged with dust, so air will not travel well down them and the gpu runs hot and the vrm chips under the tubes run hotter, eventually causing the card to fail since temps are only read on the gpu chip itself not the other chips.

    Either way, removing the gpu, removing the shroud (be very careful, those screws are tiny!) and a good blowout cleaning every few months (1 year absolute max if you have a clean running pc) is a must. You'd be surprised at the amount of debris blown onto the fins/tubes by that tiny fan.

    Uninstall the drivers, all of them, make sure its a full un-install and all traces of the old drivers is gone. Re-download the correct ones, first choice would be the gpu vendors site, they tend to add/remove, change stuff to match their version of the card. Some vendors specify to use amd/nvidea site drivers. Save the new drivers to file, Reboot then install new drivers clean.
  12. Karadjgne said:
    there are 2 designs of video cards. Reference (the ones first designed by AMD or Nvidea) and they have a fan at one end and pump the air out of the case at the other. 3rd Party designs usually have a larger fan near the middle and blow air across fins and the heat vents out into the case.

    Either design works well and the 3rd party is definitely easier to clean. The reference style doesn't use fins as such but square hollow tubes. inevitably these tubes get clogged with dust, so air will not travel well down them and the gpu runs hot and the vrm chips under the tubes run hotter, eventually causing the card to fail since temps are only read on the gpu chip itself not the other chips.

    Either way, removing the gpu, removing the shroud (be very careful, those screws are tiny!) and a good blowout cleaning every few months (1 year absolute max if you have a clean running pc) is a must. You'd be surprised at the amount of debris blown onto the fins/tubes by that tiny fan.

    Uninstall the drivers, all of them, make sure its a full un-install and all traces of the old drivers is gone. Re-download the correct ones, first choice would be the gpu vendors site, they tend to add/remove, change stuff to match their version of the card. Some vendors specify to use amd/nvidea site drivers. Save the new drivers to file, Reboot then install new drivers clean.



    I think the installing new driver after a clean install may have worked I used driver uninstaller just to be safe, I'll have to do some more testing but seems promising I'll tell you how it goes and mark your answer as the solution if it works.

    Also when cleaning my gpu will I need to apply new thermal paste. I definitely need to clean my other gpu gtx570 in my other pc it was getting hot. If it matters both cards are the pny enthusiast models
  13. No need to pull the gpu that far apart, just remove the outer cover to allow for access to the cooling fins. You'll only need to repaste if you remove the fins from the gpu or if you feel like the paste is too old to be effective.
  14. It has been working for long enough to where I feel I can call it, it must have been the driver it working great now. No more hair pulling, I was starting to go bald lol

    Thank you so much I was staring to loose it
  15. You are welcome
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Games CPUs Motherboards Fan