Solved

How much watt do I need & Which psu are appropriate?

Hi, tom's hardware

As for the title, I wanna ask how much the power do i need for my rig. The specs are:

Intel i5 2500k OC to 4.0ghz (with vcore 1.5)
Msi z77ma-G45
2x 4gb DDR3 Patriot Viper extreme
Evga GTX 560ti (oc from 850 to 900)
HDD Seagate 160gb @2pcs
Seasonic 650watt (Forget which series..lol)

From description above, my seasonic now is dead (like cant power up the pc). I have use the psu calculator (extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp) and the result do i need are 578 watt. Is this the real watt i need to run my rig or I had to buy psu with more watt for more expansion later.
Thanks You
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about watt psu
  1. A 600W should sufice. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100b10600kr
    but if you want to upgrade later, a 750w 80+gold would be fairly standard
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100b10600kr
  2. Thats a figure you should use to serve as a minimum limit for how low you should buy, such that when your psu get some wear on it it will still safely power all you parts. If you are serious about upgrading, especially if you plan to do SLI i would suggest ~750w.
  3. If you want SLI though I suggest at least 1000w
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-120g11000vr
  4. Best answer
    Alpha3031 said:
    If you want SLI though I suggest at least 1000w
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-120g11000vr


    Not with just 560ti's, my xfire 7870's both with heavy OC pull more power than that and even with my CPU OC, 750w is more than sufficient.
  5. This might help:
    http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/
    Note that when gaming or overclocking, your pc will need more power
  6. vortical said:
    Alpha3031 said:
    If you want SLI though I suggest at least 1000w
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-120g11000vr


    Not with just 560ti's, my xfire 7870's both with heavy OC pull more power than that and even with my CPU OC, 750w is more than sufficient.


    Thanks for the reply sir vortical & sir Alpha3031.

    I had thought to adding sli but that was years ago. For now I just want to replace the psu with something affordable within my budget (not less than $100) until someday I had opportunity to upgrade later. So I should pick psu with range from 600 watt - 750 watt to be safe with my current setting?

    Btw this is maybe just silly question but I need another opinion. Is there a difference between not using stabilizer/ups or not hehe.. Because i forget to bring it with me :D
  7. Stabilisers and UPSes are for unstable grids that drop out from time to time, they give you time to shut down your computer properly.
  8. woworwow said:
    This might help:
    http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/
    Note that when gaming or overclocking, your pc will need more power


    I have try it and the result i need 393watt as minimum power supply is :D
    But i think need more than that. Thanks anyway.. :)
  9. Alpha3031 said:
    Stabilisers and UPSes are for unstable grids that drop out from time to time, they give you time to shut down your computer properly.


    So its seem affecting my hardware capability.
    Meaning even I have $10.000 Power Supply and I didnt use one of stabiliser or ups is still kill my hardware, am i right? :(
  10. soundlikefun said:
    Alpha3031 said:
    Stabilisers and UPSes are for unstable grids that drop out from time to time, they give you time to shut down your computer properly.


    So its seem affecting my hardware capability.
    Meaning even I have $10.000 Power Supply and I didnt use one of stabiliser or ups is still kill my hardware, am i right? :(


    Only if you get frequent Blackouts, and even then usually nothing more serious than losing unsaved work.
  11. Alpha3031 said:
    soundlikefun said:
    Alpha3031 said:
    Stabilisers and UPSes are for unstable grids that drop out from time to time, they give you time to shut down your computer properly.


    So its seem affecting my hardware capability.
    Meaning even I have $10.000 Power Supply and I didnt use one of stabiliser or ups is still kill my hardware, am i right? :(


    Only if you get frequent Blackouts, and even then usually nothing more serious than losing unsaved work.


    Thanks for the info, will try to buy it sooner as i can..
Ask a new question

Read More

Components