Solved

BSoD with more than 2 sticks of RAM (not the usual suspects)

Hi

I've been having some problems for some time with my RAM. After reading lots and trying many different things out, I'm still stuck!

Before I go into what's going on, my specs are:
4770k (stock speed)
Gigabyte Z87-HD3 (default settings and latest updates)
Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 (8GB sticks)
GTX 480
Windows 7 Pro

I have three of these systems, all identical and bought at the same time.

They all originally came with 16GB RAM - they had no problems.
I then need to upgrade to 32GB RAM, so I got some more of the same sticks from the same seller.
After installing them, I started to get BSoD's all the time. Completely random times. Sometimes it could be idle, other times could be pushing the limits, and everything in between. I ran Memtest multiple times in all kinds of configurations with no errors, and in all three of the computers. I've tried the new sticks on their own as 16GB with no problems. I've tried mixing the new and old as 16GB, also with no problems. It only happens when I add another stick or two. I find it is a little more stable with 24GB than 32GB. I don't know why. The sticks are also the same version number, in case that makes any difference.

After doing a little searching I found a similar post:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1725225/bluescreens-32gb-bluescreen-16gb-ram.html

Tradesman1 has said in the thread that (if I understand correctly) if the sticks aren't bought as a set of 4, there may be some issues and they will have to be set up manually. Is this something I need to do? What does "setting up manually" actually involve?

Thanks in advance,
-Ped
20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about bsod sticks ram usual suspects
  1. He is referring to the timings and speed of the sticks. This is done through the BIOS. There should be guides on YouTube how to do this. Definitely worth a shot.
  2. HiTechObsessed said:
    He is referring to the timings and speed of the sticks. This is done through the BIOS. There should be guides on YouTube how to do this. Definitely worth a shot.


    But if all my sticks are the same speed with the same timings and same volts, what is there to set up? Does the motherboard not see that they are all the same and set it for me? Or do I have to set it so slots 1&3 are slightly different to 2&4?
  3. Can anyone please help?

    I've now tried entering all the timings/speed manually with no change to stability.

    Should I try to reduce the speed? Is that likely to help?
  4. What actual model number of DRAM are you using? XMP is programmed by the set, here 2 stick sets, the advanced timings for 4 sticks will differ. Packaged sets have all been tested so that all sticks in the package play together, could pull 4 sticks right off the assembly line and it's possible there would be no 4 sticks out of the 10 that all play together nice, let me know the model # of the DRAM, make sure you have the latest BIOS on the rigs and we'll try a few advanced timing and voltages adjustments and can prob get them to play
  5. Tradesman1 said:
    What actual model number of DRAM are you using? XMP is programmed by the set, here 2 stick sets, the advanced timings for 4 sticks will differ. Packaged sets have all been tested so that all sticks in the package play together, could pull 4 sticks right off the assembly line and it's possible there would be no 4 sticks out of the 10 that all play together nice, let me know the model # of the DRAM, make sure you have the latest BIOS on the rigs and we'll try a few advanced timing and voltages adjustments and can prob get them to play


    Thanks for the reply

    The sticks are not from a pack. They are all individual. Very shoddy! I've complained to the seller about it but they're quite useless!

    The model number is CML8GX3M1A1600C10B

    BIOS is up to date
  6. Best answer
    Wouldn't buy from them again ;) But lets see what we can do, with the four stick in, manually set the freq to 1600, CR top 2T, DRAM voltage initially at 1.57, VTT to 1.15, then the fun part, go into the DRAM advanced timings, lets try tRFC at 260, tRRD at 6, tRTP 7, tWTR 7, and tFAW at 26 (leave the rest at Auto for now)
  7. Tradesman1 said:
    Wouldn't buy from them again ;) But lets see what we can do, with the four stick in, manually set the freq to 1600, CR top 2T, DRAM voltage initially at 1.57, VTT to 1.15, then the fun part, go into the DRAM advanced timings, lets try tRFC at 260, tRRD at 6, tRTP 7, tWTR 7, and tFAW at 26 (leave the rest at Auto for now)


    You'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge on this. RAM is definitely not my strong point!
    Do I need XMP enabled as well?
  8. Can try it either way, you're going to manually over ride basically most of what XMP sets, and forgot base timings try them at 10-10-10-30, think yours call for 10-10-10-28 or so
  9. Tradesman1 said:
    Can try it either way, you're going to manually over ride basically most of what XMP sets, and forgot base timings try them at 10-10-10-30, think yours call for 10-10-10-28 or so


    Ok will do

    They are 10-10-10-27
  10. My bad, new it was right about there though ;)
  11. Tradesman1 said:
    My bad, new it was right about there though ;)


    Jeeze! Get it right next time! ;)

    Ok, so I can't find where to change VTT, so I've left it, and the BIOS only lets me set the DRAM voltage to 1.56 OR 1.58...which do I go for?
  12. can try either, go ahead and try the 1.58, if that's good can try lowering to 1.56 later, just want to get them running and stable for the moment (and each rig may take different settings, (isn't this fun, encountered 1 office that had 5 identical rigs and all took different settings to get them running 'evenly' overall)
  13. Tradesman1 said:
    can try either, go ahead and try the 1.58, if that's good can try lowering to 1.56 later, just want to get them running and stable for the moment (and each rig may take different settings, (isn't this fun, encountered 1 office that had 5 identical rigs and all took different settings to get them running 'evenly' overall)


    Good job only two here need 32GB ;)

    Will get these settings piped in and left overnight (UK) and we'll see how they look in the morning and post back!

    Thanks for your help so far!
  14. No worries, I'm Stateside so may still be up when you get in, if not later in the day for you
  15. Tradesman1 said:
    No worries, I'm Stateside so may still be up when you get in, if not later in the day for you


    After leaving the changes overnight, I think one of the systems is stable (not 100% sure just yet) and the other still blue screens.

    What is the process you're doing of getting it stable? Maybe then I can give what you're doing a go without bothering you all the time when it doesn't work :P
  16. Prob just try small increases to DRAM and MC voltages, increments of + 0.02- + 0.03, and no worries bothering me, I'm in and out
  17. Tradesman1 said:
    Prob just try small increases to DRAM and MC voltages, increments of + 0.02- + 0.03, and no worries bothering me, I'm in and out


    So now we've set the tRFC, tRRD, tRTP, tWTR and tFAW, it's just a case of getting voltages right?
  18. I'd start with the voltages, might also try dropping tRFC a pinch maybe to 255
  19. Tradesman1 said:
    I'd start with the voltages, might also try dropping tRFC a pinch maybe to 255


    Trandesman1 - Just wanted to thank you for helping with the RAM issue. I've not had a bluescreen since the changes! :)
  20. Glad to hear it, have fun ;)
Ask a new question

Read More

Blue Screen RAM Memory