Solved

How do i install a cpu cooler/fan.

I don't know it is a fan or cooler, but i am getting the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and i saw someone like smudge two things on the cou and then stuck the heat sink part of it to the thing they put on. What is/are that? Do i need it?
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about install cpu cooler fan
  1. Best answer
    If the two smudge things were a paste, it's thermal compound. Helps transfer heat. You need it, but it should come with the cooler.
  2. Someone Somewhere said:
    If the two smudge things were a paste, it's thermal compound. Helps transfer heat. You need it, but it should come with the cooler.


    Ok, i watched an installation video of it, it uses alchohal and a cleaning cloth, do those come with it?
  3. The Hyper 212 comes with a little tube of thermal paste. This is to assist with heat transfer from the CPU to the cooler.

    Just a little bit on the CPU. When you clamp the cooler down, it will spread it out.

    It is required.
  4. epicdude6288 said:
    Someone Somewhere said:
    If the two smudge things were a paste, it's thermal compound. Helps transfer heat. You need it, but it should come with the cooler.


    Ok, i watched an installation video of it, it uses alchohal and a cleaning cloth, do those come with it?


    No, it doesn't come with those.
  5. USAFRet said:
    epicdude6288 said:
    Someone Somewhere said:
    If the two smudge things were a paste, it's thermal compound. Helps transfer heat. You need it, but it should come with the cooler.


    Ok, i watched an installation video of it, it uses alchohal and a cleaning cloth, do those come with it?


    No, it doesn't come with those.


    Ok, i see it is used to clean the cpu before installation, is that needed because its a new motherboard and a new cpu.
  6. epicdude6288 said:
    USAFRet said:
    epicdude6288 said:
    Someone Somewhere said:
    If the two smudge things were a paste, it's thermal compound. Helps transfer heat. You need it, but it should come with the cooler.


    Ok, i watched an installation video of it, it uses alchohal and a cleaning cloth, do those come with it?


    No, it doesn't come with those.


    Ok, i see it is used to clean the cpu before installation, is that needed because its a new motherboard and a new cpu.


    It's just to ensure there is nothing on the CPU face or the cooler. Finger smudges, etc.
  7. It's generally not an issue with a new CPU and cooler (mobo doesn't matter). Main issue is with old stuff that's got a few years of caked paste on it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooling Fan CPUs Cooler Master