Solved

Doing a full system upgrade. What is your opinion on these components?

I have just decided to go ahead and do a full system upgrade, seeing as my current system is about 3.5 years old.
this is what im thinking of upgrading to:

CPU: i7 4770k
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-z87x-ud3h
RAM: Corsair Dominator 16 gb dual channel @ 1866MHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 770 oc 2gb 2-way SLI
PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 1000w
BOOT HDD: Samsung 840 EVO 260gb SSD
DATA HDD 1 WD Black 1tb
DATA HDD 2 WD Black 640gb
DATA HDD 3 WD Scorpio Blue 320gb
CASE: Cooler Master HAF X
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64bit

*Keep in mind this will be the whole system once it has been built.

Then i will water cool both the CPU and the 2 GPU's via a custom loop. Would a Black ice GT stealth 360mm radiator do the job for those? it has 30 FPI and is about 30mm thick.

Current system:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965
MOBO: ASRock 970 extreme4
RAM: Patriot G2 8gb dual channel @ 1600MHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 770 2gb oc ACX
BOOT HDD: WD Scorpio Blue 320gb 7200rpm
DATA HDD: WD Black 640gb 7200rpm
PSU: Rosewill Hive 650w
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64bit

If anybody has any opinions and/or recommendations for this upgrade feel free to share!
Thanks!
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about full system upgrade opinion components
  1. verma1891 said:
    Why do you need a 1000 W PSU?

    still thinking about whether to go with gtx 770s in 3-way sli or 2-way if i went with 2 way i would use the SeaSonic Platinum SS-860XP2 860W
  2. I see one problem already, you're SLI'in 2gb cards. A single 770 is not powerful enough to use more than its 2gb of VRAM, so if you use 2 at 2gb of VRAM, you either will have VRAM bottlenecking or you will have the performance of a single 770. You need to SLI the 4gb cards, which when you buy 2 of them is close to $800. One of the most interesting cards right now to me is the asus mars 760. It's 2 760 on a single PCB board. $650 and benchmarks in games more than a 780ti. Obviously a 770 SLI will be faster than the MARS, but it will also cost more. Plus the mars won't have the heat issues of a typical SLI rig.
  3. jakersnaker37 said:
    verma1891 said:
    Why do you need a 1000 W PSU?

    still thinking about whether to go with gtx 770s in 3-way sli or 2-way if i went with 2 way i would use the SeaSonic Platinum SS-860XP2 860W



    3 way SLI isn't really worth it as the 3rd card offers extremely high diminished returns.
  4. woltej1 said:
    I see one problem already, you're SLI'in 2gb cards. A single 770 is not powerful enough to use more than its 2gb of VRAM, so if you use 2 at 2gb of VRAM, you either will have VRAM bottlenecking or you will have the performance of a single 770. You need to SLI the 4gb cards, which when you buy 2 of them is close to $800. One of the most interesting cards right now to me is the asus mars 760. It's 2 760 on a single PCB board. $650 and benchmarks in games more than a 780ti. Obviously a 770 SLI will be faster than the MARS, but it will also cost more. Plus the mars won't have the heat issues of a typical SLI rig.


    well the problem is i already bought the 2gb card so i dont really want to buy 2 more cards.
  5. Are you able to return it? Because if you actually use what 770 SLI should be used for, you won't be happy with the performance.
  6. woltej1 said:
    Are you able to return it? Because if you actually use what 770 SLI should be used for, you won't be happy with the performance.


    Yes i am able to return it. Only bought it about a week to 2 weeks ago.
  7. jakersnaker37 said:
    verma1891 said:
    Why do you need a 1000 W PSU?

    still thinking about whether to go with gtx 770s in 3-way sli or 2-way if i went with 2 way i would use the SeaSonic Platinum SS-860XP2 860W



    780ti in 2 way will be much better than 3 770's
  8. Best answer
    Instead of spending a bunch of money on custom liquid cooling, why not buy faster parts in the first place?

    If you will be gaming on a single monitor, then a GTX780ti will do the job.
    Buy a better binned one with a factory overclock and be done with it.

    If you will get into triple monitor gaming, or a 4k monitor then you will want sli GTX780ti anyway.

    How high you can OC haswell is mostly determined by your luck of the bin lottery.
    Once you reach max voltage, heat goes up so fast that an added multiplier is very hard to come by with cooling.

    I would keep noise down and use a top noctua or phanteks air cooler with two 140mm fans.
  9. geofelt said:
    Instead of spending a bunch of money on custom liquid cooling, why not buy faster parts in the first place?

    If you will be gaming on a single monitor, then a GTX780ti will do the job.
    Buy a better binned one with a factory overclock and be done with it.

    If you will get into triple monitor gaming, or a 4k monitor then you will want sli GTX780ti anyway.

    How high you can OC haswell is mostly determined by your luck of the bin lottery.
    Once you reach max voltage, heat goes up so fast that an added multiplier is very hard to come by with cooling.

    I would keep noise down and use a top noctua or phanteks air cooler with two 140mm fans.


    well for me, im a bit of a tinkerer and i like to just dink around and explore new things. Im perfectly comfortable with spending the money on liquid cooling just for something to tinker with and learn about. thats the whole reason i got into computers in the first place.
  10. If you're thinking of a 780ti, I recommend the ASUS mars, I'm really liking that card and would buy it if I had the need to spend that much money on a card.
  11. woltej1 said:
    If you're thinking of a 780ti, I recommend the ASUS mars, I'm really liking that card and would buy it if I had the need to spend that much money on a card.


    seeing as im already water cooling everything so heat wont be an issue, why cant i just get two 760s for about $500 instead of the mars?
  12. You have to get the 4gb versions of the card, so by the end of it all you're sitting between $600-650 depending which cards you buy. It's up to you, it's just nice that asus has it all packaged and ready to go for you. Cooling and efficiency will also be higher on their card.
Ask a new question

Read More

Samsung SSD Water Cooling CPUs Components Graphics Cards