Solved

PC shutting off during heavy GPU load since installing GTX 760.

Hi all. I recently upgraded a lot of system components, and I was really excited when my GTX 760 arrived. Unfortunately, after less than a day I am facing problems already.

During heavy GPU load, the computer will shut down completely and instantly. I first noticed this when playing planetside 2. I had the settings on high and was getting ~60FPS so I cranked it up to ultra. When I restarted with the game in ultra settings, I was still getting 40-50FPS and everything seemed fine (infact I didn't even hear the GPU fans increase in speed) but after about 1 minute, the PC crashed.

After reading up on similar issues, I downloaded FurMark to stress test the system, and here's what I got:


Here is my system:
AMD FX-4100 (Stock clock)
Corsair H60 Cooler
MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr (stock clock)
8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
1TB Hitachi HDD
Gigabyte M68MT-S2
Corsair CX600M

I can't put it on the PSU, because I've seen people using similar builds, if not more, than mine with the exact same PSU, and the min. recommended PSU wattage from MSI is 500W, so this should be fine.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about shutting heavy gpu load installing gtx 760
  1. Well the one thing you could do would be to watch your voltages to see what they are dropping to. This would tell you if it is your power supply. Power supplies can go out or get weak from a number of reasons. Lets make sure it isn't that before you do too much troubleshooting.
  2. regardless of the success of other people with the same kind of psu... this sounds like the psu is the problem.

    just because someone else with the same kind of psu had success with that build doesnt mean you would. your psu could be partially faulty and unable to output the same wattage.
  3. 3rd vote for a dying PSU.
  4. ahnilated said:
    Well the one thing you could do would be to watch your voltages to see what they are dropping to. This would tell you if it is your power supply. Power supplies can go out or get weak from a number of reasons. Lets make sure it isn't that before you do too much troubleshooting.


    Well I got the power supply only 5 days before the new GPU, so I hope it's not dead already! How would I check these voltages that you are talking about?
  5. It may yet be the PSU (its OCP circuit may be defective and tripping too soon). Another possibility is the VRMs on your ancient-tech motherboard, although it is supposedly good for 140W CPUs.
  6. Frayt said:

    Well I got the power supply only 5 days before the new GPU, so I hope it's not dead already! How would I check these voltages that you are talking about?

    hwmonitor
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

    thou if it tripps the over current protection you won't see anything in the volts before it shuts down...
  7. Remember too, that's a Corsair CX, built by CWT using some inferior Samxon capacitors that don't like heat.
  8. Kari said:
    Frayt said:

    Well I got the power supply only 5 days before the new GPU, so I hope it's not dead already! How would I check these voltages that you are talking about?

    hwmonitor
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

    thou if it tripps the over current protection you won't see anything in the volts before it shuts down...


    Well after playing planetside2 for 5 minutes, I didn't see any change in the voltages of the GPU, it stayed at ~0.8v consistently.
  9. Frayt said:

    Well after playing planetside2 for 5 minutes, I didn't see any change in the voltages of the GPU, it stayed at ~0.8v consistently.

    that's not the voltage you need to be worried about, keep an eye on the 12V instead
  10. Kari said:
    Frayt said:

    Well after playing planetside2 for 5 minutes, I didn't see any change in the voltages of the GPU, it stayed at ~0.8v consistently.

    that's not the voltage you need to be worried about, keep an eye on the 12V instead


    Right. I ran FurMark at 1280x720 again and as soon as it started, the voltage dropped to 11.904v and remained there for about 5 seconds before it shut down. Is a drop of that little enough to warrant a shutdown?
  11. 11.9v is acceptable droop on a 12v line
  12. It is. I wonder what's on such a hair trigger, mobo or PSU? I also have to wonder if, along with the droop, a lot of ripple is being introduced. It would take an oscilloscope to see that though.
  13. Best answer
    FIXED IT! And it was entirely m y fault! Basically, the other day, whilst sleeving my new PSU cables, I broke one of the ATX connectors. As a fix, I soldered on a wire from my old PSU and used the pin connected to that. I realised that the wire was a bit thinner, but didn't think it mattered. Anyway, today I just took off that old wire, soldered the CX600M wire directly to a new connector, and now I can run furmark 1080p with no problems. Thanks for everyones help anyway! :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Gtx GPUs Power Supplies Graphics Cards