FX-8350 Problems Overclocking

Hi, all! I have an FX-8350 running on an Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 motherboard, I try and push the multiplier past 21.5 and it just beeps at me... Maybe my chip is a bum overclocker, but most people seem to think they can achieve 4.5GHz without breaking a sweat... Is there anything I can do to try and push it that little bit further? I'm running at stock 1.32V so maybe I should just bump the voltage a little bit. On a side note, the Asus automatic overclocking utility on the motherboard only seems to push it to 4.3 and I don't know whether that is again, due to my chip being a poor overclocker or if it is just the limitation of using the feature, any help is very much appreciated guys! Here is my CPU-z Validation for proof etc: http://valid.canardpc.com/we4rve
5 answers Last reply
More about 8350 problems overclocking
  1. what's your powersupply?

ok... some things to think about...
    1) turn on LLC
    2) turn off all power savings like quiet and cool
    3) disable the turbo core

around 4.4 ghz fx 83xx cpus need a vcore bump. some a little sooner, some a little later. your chip looks average to me if you're hitting 4.3ghz on stock vcore.

4) use bios overclocking only, do not use the ASUS auto overclocking features. it tends to overvolt your chip. you can do it much better on your own.
    5) since you know the cpu won't load at 4.4 ghz, start at 4.3ghz and bump the multiplier up 0.5 and bump your vcore a little bit. like 0.0125v... on that motherboard i think 1 bump up is like 0.00625v, so you'll be doing two bumps in the vcore. see if it will load into windows. then download the latest version of prime95 and try a 10-15minute burn. if it crashes the computer or a core fails the burn you'll need to add a little vcore. one it's good for 10 minutes or so, you can continue you're overclocking.
    6) remember, overclocking is mostly limited by your cooler... it's highly doubtful you'll get to dangerous vcore limits unless you have some insane cpu cooler... so don't worry too much about voltage. if your cpu cooler is solid you'll hit your thermal limits somewhere aorund 1.45-1.55 vcore
  2. Hi and welcome to Tom's fourm.

You can not rise the multiplier in that way and wait that your CPU can be stable.

1st that all, we need to know all the specs of your rig and the most important: What cooler do you have?

You need 1st disable some options.

1) Cool'n'Quite
    2) Turbo Core
    3) Spread Spectrum
    4) C1E

After that, you need to find the most stable overclock with the stock voltage and max temperature that you archive with that.
  3. The cooler i have on it at the moment is a Hyper 212 EVO with push/pull with Arctic F12's replacing the original coolermaster ones, a 140mm fan aiding the pull and a 220mm fan in the side of the case blowing onto the top of the cooler. However, come Christmas I have a Kraken X40 on my shopping list.
    My Power Supply is an EVGA NEX750B which has just replaced a Corsair TX850 which wasn't giving me the right voltages.
    I have fiddled about and read the guides over on Overclockers and seem to be able to get it stable running at a CPU voltage of 1.284 with a core speed of 4300:
    http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m588/danirich1/IMAG0444_zps3c1409cd.jpg
    It seems to run okay in a Prime95 burn test, i had it up to 4500 yesterday and it hit the socket limits of 62 degrees and surpassed it. I shut off the test but it never shut off the computer. Disabling C1E, what effect will this have?
  4. http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard

head over to that link and follow that guide. it will give you a lot of good advice to overclocking that fx8 core.
  5. Just make your CPU voltage higher.
    for 4.5 you'll need around 1.3 volts if it boots, then run prime95, if it crashes or freeze add .05 volts more and try again.
    crashes MOSTLY indicate not enough power for the cpu to run.
    I had my 8350 oc'ed to 5.0Ghz at 1.5Volts (don't go higher than 1.5) with an h100i

make sure your temps for the 8350 never stay above 70, unless you want degrading in your cpu

I moved onto the 4770k though.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Asus Motherboards