PLEASE HELP:- New build need advice from people who know what they are talking about

Hiya im building my very own gaming machine this is my first time,

can you check my build and make sure everything is compatible together and that this build will work.

i also need a psu but i dont have a clue about those so please can you help tell me what wattage i need and any good makes to go for

thanks so much.

MOTHERBOARD- Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Socket AM3+Motherboard

GRAPHICS/VIDEO CARD- ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti Direct CU II 2 GB

MAINBOARD PROCESSOR- AMD FX-6300

RAM- Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) Memory Kit PC3-15000 1866MHz

CASE- Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced USB 3.0 ATX Case

INTERNAL HARD DRIVE- Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive SATA 6
15 answers Last reply
More about build advice people talking
  1. those components will all work together.
    i'd go for a 650 watt psu. it gives you room to expand if you need to, even though you should only need about 500 watts at the current setup
  2. Yeah 650W or even a 750W psu would be ok.
    Corsair HX750 has been priced in the $90 range after rebates lately, so that is an excellent choice.
    And of course the XFX Pro 650W is a standing favorite in that range.

    Also grab some aftermarket cooler for your CPU. Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Xigmatek Gaia for example work fine.
  3. rvilkman said:
    Yeah 650W or even a 750W psu would be ok.
    Corsair HX750 has been priced in the $90 range after rebates lately, so that is an excellent choice.
    And of course the XFX Pro 650W is a standing favorite in that range.

    Also grab some aftermarket cooler for your CPU. Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Xigmatek Gaia for example work fine.


    ok great stuff thanks for the advice, what about the ram will 2x 4gb be better than 2x8gb, and is 1886mhz better than 1660 mhz
  4. 2x8GB is better of course, and 1866 is better as well. Well depending a little on the CAS setting, but if it is the same CAS like CAS9 then the 1866 is better.
  5. rvilkman said:
    2x8GB is better of course, and 1866 is better as well. Well depending a little on the CAS setting, but if it is the same CAS like CAS9 then the 1866 is better.


    ok great thanks and what kind of storage should i go for will i be ok with just a hard drive, ive heard of ssd but dont know much about it
  6. For a system using a single GeForce GTX 660 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    For a system using two GeForce GTX 660 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 650 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

    Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.


    MOTHERBOARD - Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Socket AM3+Motherboard: 38 Watts

    MAINBOARD PROCESSOR - AMD FX-6300: 77 Watts

    RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) Memory Kit PC3-15000 1866MHz: 6 Watts

    GRAPHICS/VIDEO CARD - ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti Direct CU II 2 GB: 135 Watts

    INTERNAL HARD DRIVE - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive SATA 6: 10 Watts

    CASE - Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced USB 3.0 ATX Case: 37 Watts

    Total: 303 Watts
  7. ko888 said:
    For a system using a single GeForce GTX 660 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    For a system using two GeForce GTX 660 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 650 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

    Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.


    MOTHERBOARD - Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Socket AM3+Motherboard: 38 Watts

    MAINBOARD PROCESSOR - AMD FX-6300: 77 Watts

    RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) Memory Kit PC3-15000 1866MHz: 6 Watts

    GRAPHICS/VIDEO CARD - ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti Direct CU II 2 GB: 135 Watts

    INTERNAL HARD DRIVE - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive SATA 6: 10 Watts

    CASE - Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced USB 3.0 ATX Case: 37 Watts

    Total: 303 Watts


    wow nice work pal thanks thats helped a heap
    any advice on storage and cpu cooler suggestion
  8. davewillo said:
    wow nice work pal thanks thats helped a heap
    any advice on storage and cpu cooler suggestion



    SSD: Samsung SSD 840 PRO 128GB or 256GB

    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
  9. If you are going for a gaming PC I would go with an SSD that you would put your OS, back ups and such on. Because they are fast it would make your boot time a lot faster. And then a 1TB hardrive for all your games.
    Here is what I am going to get:

    SSD: Samsung 2.5-Inch SATA III 6GB/s
    HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black

    And as for a cooler it would depend on if you are overclocking or not. If not then you only need the stock cooler. and if you are OCing then I agree with KO888, go with the Cooler Master. They make some really great fans for cases and CPUs
  10. RJ_gamingBoss said:
    If you are going for a gaming PC I would go with an SSD that you would put your OS, back ups and such on. Because they are fast it would make your boot time a lot faster. And then a 1TB hardrive for all your games.
    Here is what I am going to get:

    SSD: Samsung 2.5-Inch SATA III 6GB/s
    HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black

    And as for a cooler it would depend on if you are overclocking or not. If not then you only need the stock cooler. and if you are OCing then I agree with KO888, go with the Cooler Master. They make some really great fans for cases and CPUs


    ok taken on board thanks, as im trying to keep costs down what size ssd would you go for if im running windows 7 home premium on it
  11. as my budget is nearly maxed out do you think i would be ok using this as my ssd just to put my os on and other bits

    OCZ Agility 3 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
  12. davewillo said:
    RJ_gamingBoss said:
    If you are going for a gaming PC I would go with an SSD that you would put your OS, back ups and such on. Because they are fast it would make your boot time a lot faster. And then a 1TB hardrive for all your games.
    Here is what I am going to get:

    SSD: Samsung 2.5-Inch SATA III 6GB/s
    HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black

    And as for a cooler it would depend on if you are overclocking or not. If not then you only need the stock cooler. and if you are OCing then I agree with KO888, go with the Cooler Master. They make some really great fans for cases and CPUs


    ok taken on board thanks, as im trying to keep costs down what size ssd would you go for if im running windows 7 home premium on it


    If you only want one storage drive, an SSD can have many different storage types and with that comes different prices:

    120 GBs = $100-$150
    250 GBs = $250-$300
    500 GBs = $475-$500
    750 GBs = $700-$750
    1TB = $850-$1000

    So they are not the cheapest storages on the planet but they can be about X2 the speed of any HDD. Just make sure your MB has a SATA 3 port because that is the latest and fastest. They can make gaming much better. If you are getting a lot of RAM however, that won't matter as much.

    They do die out because they can't handle being written on so much due to no moving parts like an HDD. But the bigger they are the longer they last.

    HDDs are cheap but SSDs are faster and more expensive so it is up to you what you want. If you are going to get one only for recovery and your OS it will last a long time.

    In the end I can't tell you what to get but I can tell you the specs. If you don't want to send much I would forget the SSD for now and just go with an HDD.
  13. davewillo said:
    as my budget is nearly maxed out do you think i would be ok using this as my ssd just to put my os on and other bits

    OCZ Agility 3 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk


    I think that's a good drive but it can't hold much so I would use it for your OS or if you really have a maxed budget go for 1TB SSD. Else your better off with an HDD.
  14. davewillo said:
    Hiya im building my very own gaming machine this is my first time,

    can you check my build and make sure everything is compatible together and that this build will work.

    i also need a psu but i dont have a clue about those so please can you help tell me what wattage i need and any good makes to go for

    thanks so much.

    MOTHERBOARD- Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Socket AM3+Motherboard

    GRAPHICS/VIDEO CARD- ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti Direct CU II 2 GB

    MAINBOARD PROCESSOR- AMD FX-6300

    RAM- Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) Memory Kit PC3-15000 1866MHz

    CASE- Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced USB 3.0 ATX Case

    INTERNAL HARD DRIVE- Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive SATA 6


    Hi - That build will run fine on a quality 450w PSU as long as it has at least 24 +12v amps (quality units will have at least that much) and 2 pcie connectors. You might want to get one in the 500-550w range for xtra flexibility on future upgrades.

    Brands to look for are: Seasonic, XFX, PC Pwr & Cooling, Rosewill Capstone-Fortress- Tachyon series, Corsair TX,RM,HX,AX series,
    most Antec & most Silverstone. There are others, but this is plemty to choose from.
  15. I forgot to mention that there is a site that lets you see if all of your parts a compatible:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/

    Go there and put in all of your parts and it will tell you if they are compatible or not.
    And looking in the top right of your list it will tell you the estimated wattage.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies CPUs Components Memory Graphics Cards New Build