Solved

will a ddr3 or gddr5 graphics card work with my motherboard

HP Compaq dc7700p Small Form Factor
this is my motherboard and this is ddr2 compatible for ram i dont think this matters though
http://www.ebuyer.com/434559-gigabyte-gt-630-2gb-gddr3-1600-mhz-dvi-hdmi-d-sub-pci-e-graphics-gv-n630-2gi
this is the graphics card im thinking about getting help me out i want to use this for casual gaming like a few older games here and there
any answers appreciated
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ddr3 gddr5 graphics card work motherboard
  1. Yeah, the graphics card will work with your mobo
  2. Best answer
    You need to make sure the card fits in the case, that is a small case and it may not have enough clearance for the fan and length of the card.
    It probably will not work with the power supply, it looks like you only have a 200 watt power supply, that may not be enough to power anything but the weakest video cards out there. Even the lowest GT630 model can use 50 watts of power at load, which will be enough to crash your system.

    If you have a 200 watt power supply, you should upgrade to this 250 watt model http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-403777-001-403984-001-unavailable-Enlarge/dp/B0077BVGVC

    Then you can install a video card. I suggest the Radeon 6570 over the nVidia 630.
  3. hang-the-9 said:
    You need to make sure the card fits in the case, that is a small case and it may not have enough clearance for the fan and length of the card.
    It probably will not work with the power supply, it looks like you only have a 200 watt power supply, that may not be enough to power anything but the weakest video cards out there. Even the lowest GT630 model can use 50 watts of power at load, which will be enough to crash your system.

    If you have a 200 watt power supply, you should upgrade to this 250 watt model http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-403777-001-403984-001-unavailable-Enlarge/dp/B0077BVGVC

    Then you can install a video card. I suggest the Radeon 6570 over the nVidia 630.



    Shouldn't he get at least a 350W model to be safe?
  4. sora said:
    hang-the-9 said:
    You need to make sure the card fits in the case, that is a small case and it may not have enough clearance for the fan and length of the card.
    It probably will not work with the power supply, it looks like you only have a 200 watt power supply, that may not be enough to power anything but the weakest video cards out there. Even the lowest GT630 model can use 50 watts of power at load, which will be enough to crash your system.

    If you have a 200 watt power supply, you should upgrade to this 250 watt model http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-403777-001-403984-001-unavailable-Enlarge/dp/B0077BVGVC

    Then you can install a video card. I suggest the Radeon 6570 over the nVidia 630.



    Shouldn't he get at least a 350W model to be safe?


    If they make one for that size case, the bigger the better of course. A 6570 will run fine on a 250 watter in this system. 6570 uses max 45 watts. If the system runs fine on a 200 watt PSU now, it will run just as well on a 250 with a lower end video card.
  5. hang-the-9 said:
    sora said:
    hang-the-9 said:
    You need to make sure the card fits in the case, that is a small case and it may not have enough clearance for the fan and length of the card.
    It probably will not work with the power supply, it looks like you only have a 200 watt power supply, that may not be enough to power anything but the weakest video cards out there. Even the lowest GT630 model can use 50 watts of power at load, which will be enough to crash your system.

    If you have a 200 watt power supply, you should upgrade to this 250 watt model http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-403777-001-403984-001-unavailable-Enlarge/dp/B0077BVGVC

    Then you can install a video card. I suggest the Radeon 6570 over the nVidia 630.



    Shouldn't he get at least a 350W model to be safe?


    If they make one for that size case, the bigger the better of course. A 6570 will run fine on a 250 watter in this system. 6570 uses max 45 watts. If the system runs fine on a 200 watt PSU now, it will run just as well on a 250 with a lower end video card.

    ive bought a 500w power supply and the graphics card thanks guys !
Ask a new question

Read More

Hewlett Packard Graphics Cards Motherboards Graphics