Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

The Power Supply Unit tier list.

Tags:
  • Hardware
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
Share
a b ) Power supply
17 September 2013 23:06:25

Hello.

This is an updated PSU tier list last seen on the Newegg Egg Xpert forums seen here - http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

This tier list should be taken in consideration before buying a Power Supply, just like the Egg Xpert Tier list. This tier list doesn't bias in efficiency ratings or personal opinions, this tier list is generated and tiered based on un-biased, genuine reviews from leading computer hardware reviewing teams such as TechPowerUp, Hexus, eTechnix, Tweaktown etc.

I will be adding the current tiered PSU manufactures, series etc. from the Egg Xpert forum, along with new editions. This list will be updated to keep with recommendations and avoidances from experts here and from the reviewing teams themselves. Please suggest a PSU manufacture and series to be added to the untiered list in the mean time, as some newly released PSUs may not have been reviewed right away. Also, please suggest an update on the current list, just so recommendations are accurate.

For people wondering which PSU to use with their wanting graphics card, please go here for recommendations -

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm


This list now features 80+ efficiency color coding on all series of PSUs. These go for also different wattages of the same series. Now some of the untiered and a couple of the currently tiered PSUs won't be coded due to no efficiency rating or TBD. These go as follows -

Standard
Bronze
Silver
Gold
Platinum
Titanium

Listed updated - November 25th 2014. Please see latest post for details.


Tier One - The highest quality and most stable PSUs available on the hardware market today. Highly recommended for any situation


Antec
High Current Pro - 1200 watts
High Current Platinum series

Be Quiet Dark power pro P10 (850w and above)

Corsair
AX MK1 / AX MK2/ AXi series (MK1 AX series is also an excellent choice)
AX1500i (MK3 AX platform, Titanium efficiency)

Cooler Master V series / V series 1200w

EVGA
Supernova G2
Supernova P2

Firepower Silencer MK3 1200w
FSP Aurum PT 1200w

Kingwin
Absolute Platinum 550w
Lazer platinum series

LEPA G1600

Seasonic
M12 II 650 / 750 / 850w (Includes EVO series)
Platinum series (Fanless or not)
X series

Silverstone Nightjar 520w Platinum

Super Flower
Golden King series
Golden Silent series 430w
Leadex Gold series
Leadex Platinum series

XFX
Pro series Black Edition
Pro series Black Edition Limited 1000w
Pro series XXX / Semi-modular
XTS Fanless 460w


Tier Two Class A - Excellent quality units, if not, as good as the Tier one class of units. For people who have a limited budget, but still want a reliable unit for the price


Antec
EDGE series (Pretty much the same as the Truepower Classic models, only modular)
Earthwatts / Earthwatts Platinum
High Current Gamer series
Truepower Classic series (Based off Old Seasonic G series platform)

Cooler Master VS series
Corsair HXi Series

Be Quiet
Power zone series 650 850 750 1000
Straight power E9 400w
Straight Power 10

Corsair
GS series (GS600 / GS800)
HX / HX v2 series
RM 450 / 550 / 650w models (Made by Channel Well Technology)
TX / TXM series

Enermax Platimax series (1250 Watts and below)
EVGA Supernova B2 series (may even reach 80+ Silver, according to Jonnyguru)

Firepower
Silencer MK III 400 500 600 750 850
ZX series

High Power / Sirtec Astro GD 1200w (This unit can get very hot, though the Japanese caps are rated at 150°C, but at maximum load)
Lepa G500
NZXT Hale82 Modular (650 and 750 Watt models)

Rosewill
Capstone series
Lightning series
Silent Night 500 Watts
Tachyon series

Seasonic
G series / G series V2
M12-II EVO 520w / 620w
S / M12 II Bronze 430 / 520 / 620w
S12G (Think of 2011 - 2013 Seasonic G series)

Silverpower
SP 460w Fully Modular
SP Semi-modular

Silverstone
SX600-G SFX
Strider Gold Evolution series
Strider Plus 750w 850w 1000w 600w

Super Flower Golden Green / Modular / HX series
Sentey Golden Steel Power 850 Watts

Thermaltake
Toughpower Gold 850M
Toughpower DPS Gold series

Thortech Thunderbolt plus 800 Watts

XFX
Core series / Pro series Non-modular
TS Series 430w / 550w-SEW
XTR series


Tier Two Class B - Lower life span or slightly lower power output than rated. These are still great units, all of which are still within standard ATX specifications


Azza Platinum 750w 1000w

Antec
Basiq series
VP series (350, 450 only)

Be Quiet
SFX Power 2
TFX Power 2

Enermax NaXn 82+ (550 to 750 Watts)
EVGA Supernova NEXB / NEXG 750 Watts

Firepower
Fatal1ty 2012 1000w Gold
ZT series (Sirtec design, a decent one)

Fractal Design
Integra M series
Newton R3 Series

FSP
Aurum Gold
Aurum Xilencer

Kingwin Lazer gold series
Lepa B650 / B850[/color][/b]

NZXT
Hale 82 series (Non-modular, 750w and greater)
Hale 90 V1 / V2 series

Rosewill Fortress Series

Silverstone
Strider Gold / Gold S series
Strider Plus 500w

Thermaltake
Toughpower 1200M 1350M 1500M
Toughpower Gold 1200w
Toughpower XT 775M
Toughpower XT Gold series (Really confusing name, since they are rated Platinum)
Toughpower XT Platinum 1275w (Please don't confuse this one with the XT Gold line)

Zalman ZM-HP 850w / 1000w

Tier Three - Meets standard ATX specifications, though closer to the edges than Tier two units. These are still solid units, which still supply stable power to your system, though not ideal for serious overclocking


Be Quiet
Dark power pro (750 Watts and lower)
Pure power L8 / Purepower L8 CM series
Straight power E9 400 Watts

Bitfenix Fury 750w

Cooler master
Elite II 550w (technically a 500w unit, maybe a typo from design department)
G550M
GX II 550 / 750 Watts
i Series 700 Watts
Silent pro M2 / Gold / Platinum series

Corsair
CS series (High inrush current and +12V ripple levels, only on high levels of load)
CX / CXM series
RM 750 850w 1000w models (750w and 850w made by Chicony, Poor capacitors. 1000w model my CWT, Poor ripple suppression and horrific tenperatures)
VS series

Deepcool Quanta series 750w 1000w 1200w

Enermax
naXn ADV 650 Watts
Revolution X't series
Triathlor / Triathlor FC series

EVGA
430w / 500w
500B / 600B
Supernova 750 Watts B1 / G1
Supernova Classified 1500 Watts

FSP
Aurum 92+ 650M
Aurum S 700w

Fractal Design
Integra R2 650 / 750 Watts
Tesla R2

InWin
Commander III
GreenMe series

Kingwin Powerforce 850w
Lepa G900

Rosewill
Hercules 1600 Watts
[/color]
Hive series

Silverstone Strider Essential 400w 500w 600w

Thermaltake
Litepower series
London 550w

Xilence Performance A series
Zalman GS / GT Series


Tier Four - Not for overclocking systems or high end gaming rigs. May not even output labeled power and fail standard ATX specifications slightly. May even use cheap components to meet a price


Aerocool
GT Series 500s 700s 1050s
Integrator 600w
Strike-X series 800w 1100w
Templarius Imperator series

E-power units
Firepower Fatal1ty 2013
FSP Raider series
InWin Glacier
LC power
LEPA MX-F1 series (Trigger-happy Overcurrent protection and very poor quality capacitors)

NZXT
Hale82N 650w
Hale82 V2 700w

Thermaltake Smart series[/b]
Zalman US Fanless 400w (HardOCP reports some poor quality issues at such a high price)


Tier Five - Replace immediately. These units are NOT recommended for any system, no matter the purpose. Reference to higher tiered models for a better and potentially money-saving unit


A-TOP technology
Apevia
Apex (SUPERCASE/ALLIED)
Artic / Ace (They're the same company)
Aspire (Turbocase)
ATADC
ATRIX
Broadway Com Corp
CIT
Coolmax
Deer
Diablotek
Dynapower
Dynex
Eagletech
Enlight
Evo labs
EZ-cool
Foxconn
G7
HEC / Compucase Orion
HEDY (should be WAAAYYY lower down than these units. They're that bad)
iStar computer co.
Jeantec
JPac
Just PC
Linkworld electronics
Logisys computer
Macron
MSi (just stick to their GPUs and motherboards)
NMEDIAPC
Norwood Micro/ CompUSA
Okia
Powercool
Powmax
Pulsepower
Q-tec
Raidmax
Rocketfish
SFC
Sharkoon
Shuttle
Skyhawk
Startech
Storm
Sumvision
Tesla

Thermaltake -
BronzeMunich 430w
Purepower NP / RU
TR2 and TR2-RX

Trust (Stick to their peripherals)
Wintech
Winpower
xTreme (Cyberpower PSUs)
Youngbear
Zebronics


Currently un-tiered - Announced PSUs and / or currently awaiting to be reviewed by professionals.

Aerocool
AP / AP Pro series
CS Series (Not to be confused with Corsair's CS Series)

Antec High Current Platinum GRID
Chieftec A-135 series
Club3d CSP Gold 750 / 850w

Cooler Master
B series v2
GX II 450 / 650 Watts
Digital 1200w Titanium efficiency

Cougar
GX V3 series
GXD series
A series

Enermax
DigiFanless
Platimax 1700w

EVGA Supernova T2 1600w
Fractal Design Edison series
InWin Serenity series

LEPA
MaxGold 1000w
MaxPlatinum series
N series

Raidmax Vampire series

Rosewill
ARC series
AIM Digital series
Hive S Series
Photon series
Quark series
Valens series

Silverstone Strider Essential 400w 500w
Super Flower Leadex Titanium 1600w

Thermaltake
Toughpower DPS Platinum
Toughpower Gold 1000M 1500M
Toughpower Grand 1050F 1200F
Toughpower Titanium 1500w
Toughpower XT Gold 1275M (Yes, it is gold, for a Platinum rated line)
TR2 Bronze series


Thortech Platinum Plus
Xigmatek Maverick S series
Zalman GVM series

Again, please suggest any improvements to this tiered list. I will do the best I can to improve it and keep it up to date.

More about : power supply unit tier list

a b ) Power supply
18 September 2013 00:28:23

Would it be possible to remove discontinued products? For instance Enermax Galaxy...I'm sure there's some others since the base list is 5 years old. I don't know, might be helpful if someone wants to use this as a reference for new builders if it's all current.
a b ) Power supply
18 September 2013 00:43:22

ACTechy said:
Would it be possible to remove discontinued products? For instance Enermax Galaxy...I'm sure there's some others since the base list is 5 years old. I don't know, might be helpful if someone wants to use this as a reference for new builders if it's all current.


Let me look up which PSUs are discontinued and will be updated shortly.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
7 October 2013 08:43:34

Just as a suggestion, it would be nicer to not have so many spaces in between. But its good as it is.
a b ) Power supply
7 October 2013 12:28:17

Deemo13 said:
Just as a suggestion, it would be nicer to not have so many spaces in between. But its good as it is.


Done. The spaces took up a lot of space. Shouldn't be a lengthy read now.
7 October 2013 12:34:53

what about corsair VS series??
a b ) Power supply
7 October 2013 12:40:41

vishu_ka said:
what about corsair VS series??


Added.
a b ) Power supply
7 October 2013 17:40:55

Looks much better now.
a c 285 ) Power supply
3 November 2013 08:11:59

Dottorrent isn't this is a straight copy/paste of the EggXpert page here?

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

How exactly are you determining what units go in what tiers if they are not on the list? The EgXpert guys use reviews of voltage regulation and ripple and noise. Also while the list is decent it's not perfect.

For instance the Corsair CX series is tier 3 due to cheap capacitors. The CXM uses quality Japanese capacitors and should be tier 2 or 2b.


With a change in format and a lot of time and effort into research I could see a list like this ending up as a sticky. We do have a few power supply guides in the sticky but they are dated. As a direct copy/paste I'm not sure we can use this though. Not with the Tom's name on it.

Let me get some other opinions on what should be done here. I'll be back in touch probably via PM.

Edit: Just saw the date. Is this something you want to try to keep current? If so PM me. For now I am going to remove the Tom's Hardware name from the title.
a b ) Power supply
10 November 2013 18:42:52

About the Corsair VS series - it's definitely not on par with the CX series. I think it's one or half a tier below the CX series.

There is only one review of Corsair VS series:
Corsair VS450 Review

The things to note in this review are:
1) Tested in a colder environment. Higher temperatures(40-50 deg C) might negatively impact efficiency,ripple,noise,voltage regulation

2) Tested at 230V. U get higher efficiency at higher voltages
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fullimage.php?image=1058...

3) I think the reviewer didn't have precise equipment as others do at the time of review.

4)Will never get 80 Plus certification even if it is great because 80 Plus certification labs operate at 115V and Corsair VS series at 220-240V


Also in Tier 1, is that Seasonic S12 II Bronze series? Because there is a separate S12 II series(discontinued)
a b ) Power supply
10 November 2013 22:25:33

chimera201 said:
About the Corsair VS series - it's definitely not on par with the CX series. I think it's one or half a tier below the CX series.

There is only one review of Corsair VS series:
Corsair VS450 Review

The things to note in this review are:
1) Tested in a colder environment. Higher temperatures(40-50 deg C) might negatively impact efficiency,ripple,noise,voltage regulation

2) Tested at 230V. U get higher efficiency at higher voltages
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fullimage.php?image=1058...

3) I think the reviewer didn't have precise equipment as others do at the time of review.

4)Will never get 80 Plus certification even if it is great because 80 Plus certification labs operate at 115V and Corsair VS series at 220-240V


Also in Tier 1, is that Seasonic S12 II Bronze series? Because there is a separate S12 II series(discontinued)


1 - The VS series is based on the same platform as the CX series and the review seems fine. Low ripple and the same capacitors but a few components were sacrificed to meet pricing requirements. Also the VS Series is for developing countries.

2 - Yes. That is the new bronze series.

a c 1268 ) Power supply
10 November 2013 23:57:39

anort3 said:
Dottorrent isn't this is a straight copy/paste of the EggXpert page here?

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

How exactly are you determining what units go in what tiers if they are not on the list? The EgXpert guys use reviews of voltage regulation and ripple and noise. Also while the list is decent it's not perfect.

For instance the Corsair CX series is tier 3 due to cheap capacitors. The CXM uses quality Japanese capacitors and should be tier 2 or 2b.


With a change in format and a lot of time and effort into research I could see a list like this ending up as a sticky. We do have a few power supply guides in the sticky but they are dated. As a direct copy/paste I'm not sure we can use this though. Not with the Tom's name on it.

Let me get some other opinions on what should be done here. I'll be back in touch probably via PM.

Edit: Just saw the date. Is this something you want to try to keep current? If so PM me. For now I am going to remove the Tom's Hardware name from the title.


Where are you getting this information from?

From the reviews and tear downs of the CX Series modular and non-modular models, I've read, they both have the same quality of components. A Japanese 85°C rated primary capacitor and cheap Taiwanese 105°C rated CapXon secondary capacitors.
a c 2973 ) Power supply
11 November 2013 00:00:52

I looked into the CX series info again and Koo888 is right the capacitors in the M series are no better than the other CX versions.
a b ) Power supply
11 November 2013 00:11:25

SR-71 Blackbird said:
I looked into the CX series info again and Koo888 is right the capacitors in the M series are no better than the other CX versions.


Moved back to Tier 3. I was right the first time.
a c 285 ) Power supply
11 November 2013 00:15:28

Interesting. I am not sure where I saw that but I have been under the impression the CX-M was slightly updated and had fixed the Capxon secondary. I'm not the only one who has been posting that either so it may just be a case of bad info getting out and spreading. I certainly will not post it again if it's not true.

Ko888 I don't know if you have the time or the motivation but I can't think of a better person to head up putting together an official Tom's PSU tier type list. If that's something you would be interested in let one of the mods know. I would help in any capacity I could and I bet SR-71 Blackbird would be glad to jump in.

Dottorrent I have not forgotten you or this list. I have been busy and had some family stuff going on for the last week and a half or so but you would certainly be involved in getting any official list going if you wanted to be.
a b ) Power supply
11 November 2013 00:17:18

anort3 said:
Interesting. I am not sure where I saw that but I have been under the impression the CX-M was slightly updated and had fixed the Capxon secondary. I'm not the only one who has been posting that either so it may just be a case of bad info getting out and spreading. I certainly will not post it again if it's not true.

Ko888 I don't know if you have the time or the motivation but I can't think of a better person to head up putting together an official Tom's PSU tier type list. If that's something you would be interested in let one of the mods know. I would help in any capacity I could and I bet SR-71 Blackbird would be glad to jump in.


Hey, I'm always looking for people to help improve this list. Always open to suggestions and improvements.
a b ) Power supply
11 November 2013 10:45:04

dottorrent said:
chimera201 said:
About the Corsair VS series - it's definitely not on par with the CX series. I think it's one or half a tier below the CX series.

There is only one review of Corsair VS series:
Corsair VS450 Review

The things to note in this review are:
1) Tested in a colder environment. Higher temperatures(40-50 deg C) might negatively impact efficiency,ripple,noise,voltage regulation

2) Tested at 230V. U get higher efficiency at higher voltages
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fullimage.php?image=1058...

3) I think the reviewer didn't have precise equipment as others do at the time of review.

4)Will never get 80 Plus certification even if it is great because 80 Plus certification labs operate at 115V and Corsair VS series at 220-240V


Also in Tier 1, is that Seasonic S12 II Bronze series? Because there is a separate S12 II series(discontinued)


1 - The VS series is based on the same platform as the CX series and the review seems fine. Low ripple and the same capacitors but a few components were sacrificed to meet pricing requirements. Also the VS Series is for developing countries.

2 - Yes. That is the new bronze series.



You might want to add the word 'Bronze' to the Seasonic S12 II, M12 II series. Actually seasonic has a lot of series of PSUs starting with S12/M12. U might also want to write them on separate lines if a user uses Ctrl+F to search for S12 II in this big list.

I can understand that u people are not interested in Corsair VS series because it is not available in your markets. Good for you.

http://forums.hexus.net/pc-hardware-components/272357-c...

There are 2 versions of the Corsair VS450
1) VS450 (CP-9020009) that uses JunFu and Fuhjyyu capacitors and is discontinued
2) VS450 (75-001835 / CP-9020049) that has Aishi capacitors and MOST secondary side capacitors are CapXon

The CX series uses Samxon and Teapo capacitors and maybe 1 or 2 CapXon (I'm not sure)
The CXM uses Panasonic and CapXon capacitors

The other difference i wanted to show is this:
Corsair HX750W Power Supply Review (tested at 230V)
Corsair HX750W Power Supply Review (tested at 115V)
Same PSU model, massively different efficiency readings.
The point is the people who will use Corsair VS series will use the CX series also at 230V and the CX series will have a far greater efficiency at 230V.

You certainly don't have to stick with the Eggxpert Tiers. You can make 10 tiers if u want. Hell I would make a Tier 6 just for IBall,Odyssey,VIP PSUs. Most of my countrymen asks whether this gpu will work on these PSUs
a b ) Power supply
11 November 2013 12:49:10

chimera201 said:
dottorrent said:
chimera201 said:
About the Corsair VS series - it's definitely not on par with the CX series. I think it's one or half a tier below the CX series.

There is only one review of Corsair VS series:
Corsair VS450 Review

The things to note in this review are:
1) Tested in a colder environment. Higher temperatures(40-50 deg C) might negatively impact efficiency,ripple,noise,voltage regulation

2) Tested at 230V. U get higher efficiency at higher voltages
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fullimage.php?image=1058...

3) I think the reviewer didn't have precise equipment as others do at the time of review.

4)Will never get 80 Plus certification even if it is great because 80 Plus certification labs operate at 115V and Corsair VS series at 220-240V


Also in Tier 1, is that Seasonic S12 II Bronze series? Because there is a separate S12 II series(discontinued)


1 - The VS series is based on the same platform as the CX series and the review seems fine. Low ripple and the same capacitors but a few components were sacrificed to meet pricing requirements. Also the VS Series is for developing countries.

2 - Yes. That is the new bronze series.



You might want to add the word 'Bronze' to the Seasonic S12 II, M12 II series. Actually seasonic has a lot of series of PSUs starting with S12/M12. U might also want to write them on separate lines if a user uses Ctrl+F to search for S12 II in this big list.

I can understand that u people are not interested in Corsair VS series because it is not available in your markets. Good for you.

http://forums.hexus.net/pc-hardware-components/272357-c...

There are 2 versions of the Corsair VS450
1) VS450 (CP-9020009) that uses JunFu and Fuhjyyu capacitors and is discontinued
2) VS450 (75-001835 / CP-9020049) that has Aishi capacitors and MOST secondary side capacitors are CapXon

The CX series uses Samxon and Teapo capacitors and maybe 1 or 2 CapXon (I'm not sure)
The CXM uses Panasonic and CapXon capacitors

The other difference i wanted to show is this:
Corsair HX750W Power Supply Review (tested at 230V)
Corsair HX750W Power Supply Review (tested at 115V)
Same PSU model, massively different efficiency readings.
The point is the people who will use Corsair VS series will use the CX series also at 230V and the CX series will have a far greater efficiency at 230V.

You certainly don't have to stick with the Eggxpert Tiers. You can make 10 tiers if u want. Hell I would make a Tier 6 just for IBall,Odyssey,VIP PSUs. Most of my countrymen asks whether this gpu will work on these PSUs


I put in M / S12 MK1 in Tier 2 when I started this tier list.
24 November 2013 08:13:27

*UPDATE* Right after posting this, saw that the SSR-650RM is on sale at Newegg for $69.99 after MIR. Getting that one.

I'm currently shopping for a PSU.

This is my planned build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/IndustryStandard/saved/2Lf...

I'm looking at this
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ss75...

or this
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr6...

I may SLI or CF in the future (not yet completely decided on GPU). Which PSU would you guys recommend?

*UPDATE*: I have Amazon Prime, since that affects the price slightly.
11 December 2013 14:19:55

Hi guys. Whats your opinion abou new Thermaltake Smart SE series?
a b ) Power supply
27 February 2014 21:01:17

the corsair GS series in your tier 2 class A . is the 700 watt version (which is not mentioned) is out of the line or missed mistakenly ....
1 April 2014 05:57:32

dottorrent said:
Hello.

This is an updated PSU tier list last seen on the Newegg EggXpert forums seen here - http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx



It's nice to know were being copied, anytime you have a suggestion to our list were more than happy to her from you. :) 
a b ) Power supply
1 April 2014 09:33:59

GmsCool said:
dottorrent said:
Hello.

This is an updated PSU tier list last seen on the Newegg EggXpert forums seen here - http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx



It's nice to know were being copied, anytime you have a suggestion to our list were more than happy to her from you. :) 


PSUs that doesn't accept the 115V input voltage range. e.g. Corsair VS series, CoolerMaster Thunder series.

a c 362 ) Power supply
1 April 2014 16:31:43

Hi - It's a good project, IF; The reviews upon which the tier decisions are made are in fact by thorough and competent review sites,
and not say sites that Gabriel Torres refers to in his article, why 99% of PSU reviews are wrong:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/410
21 April 2014 10:40:43

Each brand you should write bold for, it would look cleaner :) 

E.g.

This is now:

Corsair-
CX Series
HX Series
BS Series:3

You can make it this:

Corsair:
CX Series
HX Series
BS Series:3
a b ) Power supply
23 April 2014 11:53:41

Hi guys.
Apologies on my absence on the tier list, I have been incredibly busy. The tier list will be updated ASAP.
a b ) Power supply
23 April 2014 12:53:24

dottorrent said:
Hi guys.
Apologies on my absence on the tier list, I have been incredibly busy. The tier list will be updated ASAP.


I am still not sure about the RM series from corsair . . are they good ? . RM series is listed in tier 2 class A . but they are not that good as reviewed . . I am also looking to buy the 650w version . . what's your thoughts ?
a b ) Power supply
23 April 2014 13:02:23

STACKS ON DECK said:
dottorrent said:
Hi guys.
Apologies on my absence on the tier list, I have been incredibly busy. The tier list will be updated ASAP.


I am still not sure about the RM series from corsair . . are they good ? . RM series is listed in tier 2 class A . but they are not that good as reviewed . . I am also looking to buy the 650w version . . what's your thoughts ?


Most RM PSUs are excellent choices. The 650w Model will be moved to Tier 3, until further notice. It's a decent choice, as it is silent, got a good amount of cables and is built to a high standard from Corsair. I would stress though, that the Seasonic G-650 is another £5 - £10 ($8 - $15) more expensive, but is of higher quality. That would be my pick.
a b ) Power supply
23 April 2014 20:59:40

dottorrent said:
STACKS ON DECK said:
dottorrent said:
Hi guys.
Apologies on my absence on the tier list, I have been incredibly busy. The tier list will be updated ASAP.


I am still not sure about the RM series from corsair . . are they good ? . RM series is listed in tier 2 class A . but they are not that good as reviewed . . I am also looking to buy the 650w version . . what's your thoughts ?


Most RM PSUs are excellent choices. The 650w Model will be moved to Tier 3, until further notice. It's a decent choice, as it is silent, got a good amount of cables and is built to a high standard from Corsair. I would stress though, that the Seasonic G-650 is another £5 - £10 ($8 - $15) more expensive, but is of higher quality. That would be my pick.


my friend has RM750 and it has real temperature issues . . it has shutdown 3 to 4 times on high temp like almost 40degree . . that's why i haven't bought this yet . . so the rm650 is in tier 3 and the other models are still in tier 2 . . any explaination . . . ?

a c 1268 ) Power supply
23 April 2014 21:14:29

Quote:
Tier one - The highest quality and most stable PSUs available on the hardware market today. Highly recommended for any situation -


This statement isn't accurate because of the discontinued/obsolete models listed.

Antec Signature series <===== Discontinued

Enermax Revolution82 <===== Not listed anywhere in Enermax's current or legacy product lists

Sapphire Pure series <===== Sapphire is out of the PSU business

Seventeam ST series (greater than 600 watts, SSI, V2.91) <===== There's no supporting evidence that Seventeam should even be in Tier 1. What is an ST series? Every Seventeam PSU model number begins with the ST- prefix accross all (i.e. at least 36) of their series.

SilverStone Decathlon (DA) and Olympia (OP) Series <===== both series are Discontinued

SilverStone Zeus ZF and ZM1200M <===== Discontinued

Ultra X3 greater than 1000 Watts <===== Discontinued - Uses All Teapo capacitors. 7 year old technology doesn't qualify for Tier One when compared to the electrical performance of currently available Tier One PSUs.


Super Flower Leadex Platinum series should not be in Tier two class A. It should be in Tier One. This is supported by unbiased expert reviews.

Super Flower Leadex Gold should also be in Tier One and is supported by unbiased expert reviews.
a c 1268 ) Power supply
23 April 2014 21:29:00

STACKS ON DECK said:
my friend has RM750 and it has real temperature issues . . it has shutdown 3 to 4 times on high temp like almost 40degree . . that's why i haven't bought this yet . . so the rm650 is in tier 3 and the other models are still in tier 2 . . any explaination . . . ?

Have your friend check the PSU's serial number. If the first four digits (i.e. lot code) begin with 1341xxxxx or higher then they should have addressed the PSU fan operation issue.

Serial numbers with a lot code earlier/lower than 1341xxxxx will have the PSU fan operation issue and should be RMA'ed with Corsair.
a b ) Power supply
23 April 2014 21:32:21

ko888 said:
STACKS ON DECK said:
my friend has RM750 and it has real temperature issues . . it has shutdown 3 to 4 times on high temp like almost 40degree . . that's why i haven't bought this yet . . so the rm650 is in tier 3 and the other models are still in tier 2 . . any explaination . . . ?

Have your friend check the PSU's serial number. If the first four digits (i.e. lot code) begin with 1341xxxxx or higher then they should have addressed the PSU fan operation issue.

Serial numbers with a lot code earlier/lower than 1341xxxxx will have the PSU fan operation issue and should be RMA'ed with Corsair.


as he said that it is of code higher than 1341xxxxx . 13423527 ... thats what he told me . . i haven't checked it myself
a c 1268 ) Power supply
23 April 2014 21:48:25

STACKS ON DECK said:
. . . so the rm650 is in tier 3 and the other models are still in tier 2 . . any explaination . . . ?

Two of the +5V wires aren't working on the 20-pin portion of the (20+4)-pin ATX cable because of the missing jumper/bridge wire on the modular interface circuit board. This means that this PSU shouldn't be used on a motherboard that only has a 20-pin ATX power connector.

Tier two class A
RM series (650w model uses cheaper sec. capacitors) <===== That's just wrong. The Teapo and Capxon aluminum electrolytic capacitors on the RM650's secondary side are considered to be of higher quality than the LTEC's used in the RM750 and RM850. LTECs are considered to be near bottom rung.

a b ) Power supply
23 April 2014 22:20:38

ko888 said:
STACKS ON DECK said:
. . . so the rm650 is in tier 3 and the other models are still in tier 2 . . any explaination . . . ?

Two of the +5V wires aren't working on the 20-pin portion of the (20+4)-pin ATX cable because of the missing jumper/bridge wire on the modular interface circuit board. This means that this PSU shouldn't be used on a motherboard that only has a 20-pin ATX power connector.

Tier two class A
RM series (650w model uses cheaper sec. capacitors) <===== That's just wrong. The Teapo and Capxon aluminum electrolytic capacitors on the RM650's secondary side are considered to be of higher quality than the LTEC's used in the RM750 and RM850. LTECs are considered to be near bottom rung.



I have been busy over the past season, so please bare with me. Plus, most of the reviews I have read of the 650w model do mark it down for no Japanese capacitors on the secondary side. Please bare in mind it has taken me some time to get back to the list. Like I said, I will update the list as time comes.
a c 1268 ) Power supply
24 April 2014 22:12:03

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 and P2 should be in Tier One and is supported by unbiased expert reviews.
a b ) Power supply
25 April 2014 00:08:19

ko888 said:
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 and P2 should be in Tier One and is supported by unbiased expert reviews.


Noted.
26 April 2014 16:00:26

Wish newegg would figure out what the hell there doing and give the tier page again.

BTW upgraded my power supply to this list to Antec HCP 1000w and couldn't be happier thanks for the list dottorrent, i looked everywhere for neweggs list but then ended up going on your list here. Love this power supply.
a b ) Power supply
26 April 2014 17:35:08

ldewitt said:
Wish newegg would figure out what the hell there doing and give the tier page again.

BTW upgraded my power supply to this list to Antec HCP 1000w and couldn't be happier thanks for the list dottorrent, i looked everywhere for neweggs list but then ended up going on your list here. Love this power supply.


The EggXpert forums have been replaced with the community forums and the tier list has seem to have disappeared. I made the list, just in case something like this happens.
a c 1268 ) Power supply
26 April 2014 18:10:04

dottorrent said:
ldewitt said:
Wish newegg would figure out what the hell there doing and give the tier page again.

BTW upgraded my power supply to this list to Antec HCP 1000w and couldn't be happier thanks for the list dottorrent, i looked everywhere for neweggs list but then ended up going on your list here. Love this power supply.


The EggXpert forums have been replaced with the community forums and the tier list has seem to have disappeared. I made the list, just in case something like this happens.


The list is here: http://community.newegg.com/eggxpert/computer_hardware/...

It still has the obsolete discontinued models in there.
3 May 2014 12:24:01

Can't wait to see what Tier the new GXII series will be :D  Someone hurry up and review it :D 
a c 76 ) Power supply
6 May 2014 16:18:42

OE! How did I miss this thread previously.

By the way I am finding my source but I believe the Cooler master Silent M2s should be on tier 2 or T2b.
a c 1268 ) Power supply
6 May 2014 17:13:40

Novuake said:
OE! How did I miss this thread previously.

By the way I am finding my source but I believe the Cooler master Silent M2s should be on tier 2 or T2b.


If you look at the scope shot from Tom's Hardware's own review of the Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 520W you can see that the ripple and noise are outside of the allowed ATX specifications:

ATX allowed maximum DC Output Noise/Ripple:
+12V: 120 mVpp
+5V: 50 mVpp
+3.3V: 50 mVpp
a c 76 ) Power supply
6 May 2014 17:20:09

Ah thanks! I remember looking at a review for the 620W specifically. All seemed well with that one. However could be mistaken.
6 May 2014 21:05:43

Can you add the Gigabyte series of PSUs? if not all of them, at least add the Odin Pro and Odin GT to the list. I think, based on their reviews, their place is between "Tier two Class B" and "Tier three".

Thanks.
a b ) Power supply
6 May 2014 22:45:20

megahmad said:
Can you add the Gigabyte series of PSUs? if not all of them, at least add the Odin Pro and Odin GT to the list. I think, based on their reviews, their place is between "Tier two Class B" and "Tier three".

Thanks.


Units reviewed which are older than 2009 are not on the list. The Gigabyte Odin pro and GT is an example of that.
6 May 2014 23:07:29

OK Thanks! but when I suggested to add some Gigabyte PSUs, I meant their line of PSUs in general, but I wasn't clear enough and I didn't know that units older than 2009 are not included in the list :) . Anyway it would be nice if maybe we can add their newer PSUs like the Sumo, PowerRock, Hercules etc... series which are all released after 2011 I believe and all of them have reviews.

BTW this is really a great list, and I refer to it everytime I get a PSU for my customers. (I work at a PC shop). Keep up the good work!
    • 1 / 16
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • More pages
    • Next
    • Newest