Solved

Does dual graphics work with Amd a10 5800k + nvidia GPU ?

After 5 years reading the forum i had to join in i have so many questions to ask,
one being the above.
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dual graphics work amd a10 5800k nvidia gpu
  1. You'll be fine. Just make sure your power supply can support 2 graphics cards, and your motherboard has two slots available.
    I would overclock that CPU just to ensure you don't bottleneck.
  2. jumaim2 said:
    After 5 years reading the forum i had to join in i have so many questions to ask,
    one being the above.

    no, amd a10 5800k cannot 'dual graphics' with nvidia gpu. the simple answer is that they're from a totally different brand and architecture. the maximum card for amd's dual gfx is radeon hd 6670.
    http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/dual-graphics/Pages/dual-graphics.aspx#3
  3. Best answer
    splinter007 said:
    You'll be fine. Just make sure your power supply can support 2 graphics cards, and your motherboard has two slots available.
    I would overclock that CPU just to ensure you don't bottleneck.


    de5_Roy said:
    jumaim2 said:
    After 5 years reading the forum i had to join in i have so many questions to ask,
    one being the above.

    no, amd a10 5800k cannot 'dual graphics' with nvidia gpu. the simple answer is that they're from a totally different brand and architecture. the maximum card for amd's dual gfx is radeon hd 6670.
    http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/dual-graphics/Pages/dual-graphics.aspx#3


    He is talking about dual graphics with an APU, not crossfire. You can only, and only do AMD Dual Graphics with an AMD GPU.
  4. The two above are correct. Splinter007 may have just misunderstood the question.

    You cannot run dual graphics mixing parts from AMD and Nvidia; HOWEVER, you may be able to run LucidLogix VirtuMVP and get some advantage out of the IGP (assuming that to be the weaker of the two). I'm not sure and I haven't tested it, but I don't see a reason why not.

    Can anyone speak to this?
  5. With the most recent Catalyst drivers, I believe the best card you can use for dual graphics is the Radeon HD 7750. nVidia cards automatically disables the integrated graphics core.
  6. jaguarskx said:
    With the most recent Catalyst drivers, I believe the best card you can use for dual graphics is the Radeon HD 7750. nVidia cards automatically disables the integrated graphics core.


    Per my understanding you're correct on the 7750 item. I'm doing that right now, actually. :D

    What I'm not sure about is the the Nvidia cards disabling the IGP. That's determined by the user in the BIOS, right? If what you say is the case, then Lucid wouldn't work for Intel CPUs either (unless AMD chips were singled out, but that doesn't strike me as legal *scratches head*).
  7. From a "combined dual graphic" performance perspective, the Trinity's iGPU will not work together with a nVidia GPU to provide better performance.

    But I am not sure if the iGPU can used to output to a monitor while a nVidia card outputs to another monitor for a dual monitor setup. It would be great if Trinity had that capability. Running two monitors off of a single graphics card does have a very small (not terrible) performance penalty when playing game on one monitor and just displaying the desktop on the other monitor.
  8. jaguarskx said:
    From a "combined dual graphic" performance perspective, the Trinity's iGPU will not work together with a nVidia GPU to provide better performance.

    But I am not sure if the iGPU can used to output to a monitor while a nVidia card outputs to another monitor for a dual monitor setup. It would be great if Trinity had that capability. Running two monitors off of a single graphics card does have a very small (not terrible) performance penalty when playing game on one monitor and just displaying the desktop on the other monitor.


    Right, Dual Graphics is most definitely out with an Nvidia GPU. I'm just wondering if maybe he can squeeze out a little more performance running VirtuMVP. Then the IGP won't just be wasted.
  9. I haven't tried it with a nvidia but will tell you that trying to combine anything that is not a HD6670 or 6570 with a Amd a10 5800k is a headache.

    I have a 6950 that I wanted to run as my primary card (with the cable running from the discrete card to the monitor) but I'm basically at the point of just giving up and selling my 6950....because it doesn't configure properly.

    No one can even tell you how to even set up a discrete card, that is not on the "crossfire list" ....so that it functions properly....and mine is a AMD 6000 series card.

    I know my reply is off track from your question ....but be careful if you decide an A10 is the way to go, as it really limits your GPU options.
  10. tourist said:
    7750 GCN cards are not compatible with amd trinity dual graphics. If someone says they can ? be prepared to prove it with benchmarks and screen shots.

    Just because the software is telling you it is working means nothing, amd started adding dual graphics support for richland in 13.1 drivers so i expect that is the reason people think it can work



    I agree with you...for instance both my A10's HD 7660D iGPU and HD 6950 will show up under DEVICE MANAGER as working properly (although I can't run a monitor cable out the discrete card)... but the very fact that the results are near identical, when I ran 3D MARK first without a discrete card installed and then again with it installed. It shows that even though they both show up under DEVICE MANAGER and say they are functioning properly, they just wont work together.

    Another thing I just learned last night.... is that there is an issue AMD has been aware of, since at least last summer.
    When you install a second graphics card, you will no longer be able to access your BIOS upon start up. I watched a video review, where the narrator said AMD was working on this. Clearly they haven't fixed that either, since (at least in my case) by adding a discrete card I am not able to access BIOS either.
    Now that is simply ridiculous to have to pull your card to do things in BIOS then always have to re install it again when you make changes. But anyway...the compatibility issue has a lot to be desired, Unfortunately, it seems you are stuck with a old tech 6670 or 6570 if you want a second GPU.
  11. tourist said:
    OldtimeGamer said:
    tourist said:
    7750 GCN cards are not compatible with amd trinity dual graphics. If someone says they can ? be prepared to prove it with benchmarks and screen shots.

    Just because the software is telling you it is working means nothing, amd started adding dual graphics support for richland in 13.1 drivers so i expect that is the reason people think it can work



    I agree with you...for instance both my A10's HD 7660D iGPU and HD 6950 will show up under DEVICE MANAGER as working properly (although I can't run a monitor cable out the discrete card)... but the very fact that the results are near identical, when I ran 3D MARK first without a discrete card installed and then again with it installed. It shows that even though they both show up under DEVICE MANAGER and say they are functioning properly, they just wont work together.

    Another thing I just learned last night.... is that there is an issue AMD has been aware of, since at least last summer.
    When you install a second graphics card, you will no longer be able to access your BIOS upon start up. I watched a video review, where the narrator said AMD was working on this. Clearly they haven't fixed that either, since (at least in my case) by adding a discrete card I am not able to access BIOS either.
    Now that is simply ridiculous to have to pull your card to do things in BIOS then always have to re install it again when you make changes. But anyway...the compatibility issue has a lot to be desired, Unfortunately, it seems you are stuck with a old tech 6670 or 6570 if you want a second GPU.


    To use the 6950 outputs change the bios to peg



    Unfortunately, I don't have an option called PEG in my BIOS.

    My motherboard is a ASUS F2A85 V PRO.

    In fact, here is a link to my motherboards user manual. beginning on page 81, under section 3.5.4 ADVANCED MENU--- it deals with the NB CONFIGURATION
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketFM2/F2A85-V_PRO/E8021_F2A85-V_PRO.pdf


    The NB Configuration deals with graphics control settings. The IGFX Multi-Monitor setting must be changed to enabled to use AMD Dual Graphics or LucidLogic Virtu MVP.

    Anyway...I go into the ADVANCED setting of BIOS, and I then go under NB CONFIGURATION (aka North Bridge) which then gives me the following options:

    IGFX MULTI-MONITOR (enabled) or (disabled)
    PRIMARY VIDEO DEVICE ----(IGFX VIDEO) or (pcie/pci Video)
    INTEGRATED GRAPHICS ---(auto) or (forced)
    UMA FRAME BUFFER SIZE--- (auto) (32M) (64M) (128M) (256M) (512M) (1G) (2G)
    HDMI/DVI PORT OUTPUT--- (auto) (HDMI) (DVI)
    PCIex16_1 {AUTO}---- (auto) (force x16) (force x8)

    I tried my HD 6950 discrete card in both the PCIe x16 and x8 slot with no luck. It's a 2GB GPU card, so I even tried to set it up under forced with the 2G setting selected...as one of the many combinations I tried.

    I still dont understand if I (want or not want to) use the LucidLogic Virtu MVP with this set up. I had it on at one point and it showed both my GPU's were -ON- but I still had to run the cable of of my motherboard...not the GPU.

    Funny that I just saw AMD is aware of a problem that when you add a discrete card to the A10'd iGPU it will not let you into BIOS. They were supposed to "work on this" this last fall.... but they apparently never did.
  12. tourist said:
    PEG Is the same as pcie, set it to that and you should be able to use the 6950.

    you will stare at a black screen until windows initializes the driver.


    I have it set on PCIe... but...I wasn't aware that it starts off as a black screen till the driver is initialized. Having swapped it in an out about 30 times so far, I stared at a black screen for about 2-3 minutes, on at least once occasion...might it actually take longer than that to initializes the driver?
  13. tourist said:

    It should not take that long when i put my friends 7950 in my fm1 board it took maybe 60-90 seconds for me to see the load screen it was way past the bios screen and into windows startup.

    The next time you try start with the 6950 out and reset the bios. Then install 6950 in the pice slot let it boot to windows and make sure the gpu is registered in device manager along with the 7660d, right click on 7660d and disable it. shut the pc down. move the vga cable over to the 6950 reboot. If Your using hdmi you first have to get it working with vga.


    I just updated my BIOS today with the latest BIOS available. I'm going to give it another shot tomorrow and see what happens.

    Can you explain what you mean by "If Your using hdmi you first have to get it working with vga"?

    I have tried to use a HDMI cable to connect my 6950 to my monitor but again..I just a black screen.
    My monitor has (1) HDMI port and (1) VGA port....so I ran the HDMI cable from my 6950 to the HDMI port on the monitor.
  14. tourist said:
    7750 GCN cards are not compatible with amd trinity dual graphics. If someone says they can ? be prepared to prove it with benchmarks and screen shots.

    Just because the software is telling you it is working means nothing, amd started adding dual graphics support for kaveri in 13.1 drivers so i expect that is the reason people think it can work



    I have been curious about this for awhile now. Apparently there was a guy who was so curious about it, he tried it out...
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1688717/review-amd-a10-5800k-7750-msi-working-dual-graphics.html
  15. That is an interesting link...showing it can be done.
  16. Well I am gonna roll the dice, I have a 7750 (the 2gb ddr3 model, NOT the gddr5 model), and have been wanting to renew/replace my old P4. Since ive used Intel products, I am curious about AMD and probably am going to end up putting something like this together to use as a home server/torrent machine. With the memory being ddr3 i doubt that it would give any kind of substantial boost to the memory (correct me if I am wrong), but should reveal some kind of results (if any). Worst case; I will have a new computer that has suitable on board graphcs, I'll have an answer to my question, but unfortunately I WONT have an excuse to give my wife to justify buying a new graphics card (which IM going to do regardless of whether the dual graphics is functioning or not) I just gotta know if it works.
  17. OldtimeGamer said:
    tourist said:
    7750 GCN cards are not compatible with amd trinity dual graphics. If someone says they can ? be prepared to prove it with benchmarks and screen shots.

    Just because the software is telling you it is working means nothing, amd started adding dual graphics support for richland in 13.1 drivers so i expect that is the reason people think it can work



    I agree with you...for instance both my A10's HD 7660D iGPU and HD 6950 will show up under DEVICE MANAGER as working properly (although I can't run a monitor cable out the discrete card)... but the very fact that the results are near identical, when I ran 3D MARK first without a discrete card installed and then again with it installed. It shows that even though they both show up under DEVICE MANAGER and say they are functioning properly, they just wont work together.

    Another thing I just learned last night.... is that there is an issue AMD has been aware of, since at least last summer.
    When you install a second graphics card, you will no longer be able to access your BIOS upon start up. I watched a video review, where the narrator said AMD was working on this. Clearly they haven't fixed that either, since (at least in my case) by adding a discrete card I am not able to access BIOS either.
    Now that is simply ridiculous to have to pull your card to do things in BIOS then always have to re install it again when you make changes. But anyway...the compatibility issue has a lot to be desired, Unfortunately, it seems you are stuck with a old tech 6670 or 6570 if you want a second GPU.


    Try connecting your hdmi back to the motherboard. Don't uninstall the card.
Ask a new question

Read More

hybrid crossfire Graphics CPUs AMD dual graphics 5800k Nvidia GPUs