Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Build help: FX 6300 + HD 7950 3gb vs I5 3570k + GTX 660 2gb

Last response: in Systems
Share
5 April 2013 16:20:32

Okay guys, I'm going to ask this question again since I was being ignorant and bumped my thread causing it to be closed.

Aside from that, what do you think is the better option? The i5 3570k and the gtx 660 2gb or the fx 6300 and the HD 7950 3gb. Both in my opinion are pretty good but I'm pretty sure that GPU is needed more than CPU in games these days.

Also I am using a single 1920x1080 monitor and I will be overclocking either one when I get it, using the hyper evo 212 and mx-4 thermal paste.

I will be playing pretty high-end games, I will list here the games of most importance to the least.

Borderlands 2
Battlefield 3
Planetside 2
Bioshock Infinite
Skyrim
Guild wars 2

Thanks for reading, I'm looking forward to any opinions, answers and advice.
a b 4 Gaming
5 April 2013 16:29:19

intel core i5 3570k + one of the following:
radeon hd 7870xt (iirc it's called power color radeon hd 7870 myst edition, $240 after mir)
radeon hd 7870 or,
radeon hd 7850 2gb.... provided that you can afford a decent quality z77 motherboard like asus p8z77-v or gigabyte ga z77x-ud3h/ud4h or asrock z77 extreme4/extreme6. if you're way too strapped for cash, only then the fx6300.
a b 4 Gaming
5 April 2013 16:30:21

the i5 definitely wins by ALL means .... and gpu is very powerful one,but if you can get the ''boost'' version of 7950 that will be different story beacause you'll see better performance than gtx 660 (also for the money)
Related resources

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
5 April 2013 17:08:00
Share

you'll need to overclock the fx6300 to match core i5 3570k's stock performance when the games demand cpu power.
5 April 2013 17:13:35

de5_Roy said:
you'll need to overclock the fx6300 to match core i5 3570k's stock performance when the games demand cpu power.


I guess I'll stick to the i5 3570k and the gtx 660, thanks for the help.

a b 4 Gaming
5 April 2013 17:40:47

i didn't recommend the gtx 660. you prolly won't need a gtx660 unless you need gtx660's lower power consumption or proprietary features like cuda or physx or unless you own a gtx660 already.
6 April 2013 14:42:15

de5_Roy said:
i didn't recommend the gtx 660. you prolly won't need a gtx660 unless you need gtx660's lower power consumption or proprietary features like cuda or physx or unless you own a gtx660 already.


If you read the list of games, my most important being borderlands 2, you should know that it uses physx and cuda is irrelevant because it's just parallel processing (video editing etc.) Anyway, I'll be using physx alot since I'm going to play borderlands two until I get all the extreme weapons (search it online if you don't know what they are). So yeah... It's gonna take a long time. Anyway the only thing the 7870 noticeably beats the 660 with is pixel rate, and since I don't care about AA I'm not that worried. BUT I'm going towards the fx 6300 and the 7950 just because most games are more gpu based and games are starting to use 6 cores too. :/ 

I've heard that the 7870's drivers are terrible.
a b 4 Gaming
6 April 2013 15:17:03

technubcake said:
If you read the list of games, my most important being borderlands 2, you should know that it uses physx and cuda is irrelevant because it's just parallel processing (video editing etc.) Anyway, I'll be using physx alot since I'm going to play borderlands two until I get all the extreme weapons (search it online if you don't know what they are). So yeah... It's gonna take a long time.

if you're gonna use physx, getting a gtx660 makes sense.
technubcake said:

Anyway the only thing the 7870 noticeably beats the 660 with is pixel rate, and since I don't care about AA I'm not that worried. BUT I'm going towards the fx 6300 and the 7950 just because most games are more gpu based and games are starting to use 6 cores too. :/ 

I've heard that the 7870's drivers are terrible.

so far, for gaming, fx6300's six cores have been seen performing noticeably weaker than core i5 3570k's 4 cores. btw, if you get a 7950, you won't be able to use physx - that's nvidia exclusive.
7870, 7950 all use the same catalyst driver package. 7870 doesn't have specific drivers for it, although amd makes improvements/bugfixes for individual cards frequently.
6 April 2013 15:25:16

de5_Roy said:
technubcake said:
If you read the list of games, my most important being borderlands 2, you should know that it uses physx and cuda is irrelevant because it's just parallel processing (video editing etc.) Anyway, I'll be using physx alot since I'm going to play borderlands two until I get all the extreme weapons (search it online if you don't know what they are). So yeah... It's gonna take a long time.

if you're gonna use physx, getting a gtx660 makes sense.
technubcake said:

Anyway the only thing the 7870 noticeably beats the 660 with is pixel rate, and since I don't care about AA I'm not that worried. BUT I'm going towards the fx 6300 and the 7950 just because most games are more gpu based and games are starting to use 6 cores too. :/ 

I've heard that the 7870's drivers are terrible.

so far, for gaming, fx6300's six cores have been seen performing noticeably weaker than core i5 3570k's 4 cores. btw, if you get a 7950, you won't be able to use physx - that's nvidia exclusive.
7870, 7950 all use the same catalyst driver package. 7870 doesn't have specific drivers for it, although amd makes improvements/bugfixes for individual cards frequently.


Physx does run even if you have an amd card, it just offloads it to the cpu instead, and it doesn't take much of a toll. Anyway, I will be overclocking the fx 6300 to about 4.2-4.5ghz so it shouldn't be much of a problem to run games on ultra except maybe on crysis, and even then it should run at around 25-40fps.

Physx on AMD = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_VE5yqNbLg
a b 4 Gaming
6 April 2013 15:50:56

sorry, can't use youtube right now.
do you actually own the pc in your sig? if yes, then no need for the fx6300.

6 April 2013 18:10:58

de5_Roy said:
sorry, can't use youtube right now.
do you actually own the pc in your sig? if yes, then no need for the fx6300.



Yes I own this PC, but this is for my brother, he knows pretty nothing about computers though, so I'm just doing him a favor.