Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

fps drops (?)

Last response: in Video Games
Share
30 March 2013 11:32:19

hi guys, i think i might have a problem with my pc:
lately i've noticed i might be getting lower fps in games than i usually do. for example, instead of getting 60 fps i get 40 and so on. in games like BFBC2 i'm sure of it, but in bf3 i don't really know. i just know that in some areas in the map the fps can go down to like 27 and i'm pretty sure it never happened. in other areas in the same map i can get 78 fps. and i don't mean looking at a wall. i've ran a virus scan, a malware scan, did that AVGTuneUp run, i checked the temps and even launched in safe mode, but nothing helped. it would be nice to know what the problem is.
specs:
fx-4100 4.1
6850 1GB
8GB ram
p.s. if any of you have my gpu and bf3, could you please give me your fps benchmarks in the map operation 925? thanks!

More about : fps drops

30 March 2013 12:11:12

i got the card and those fps is yor gettin is fine because of cpu bottoleneck as in certain maps speacialy multi player mode cpu cant coupe and holds back your card so you get less fps, its fine with 6850 no problem
m
0
l
Related resources
30 March 2013 12:24:25

i know multiplayer is more cpu based, but i feel like i'm getting lower FPS than i should, i mean in bfbc2 i'm defiantly getting lower fps because i remember it being caped to 60 fps on max settings and now it seems to be running on 30-50. besides, i feel like my pc performance has gottne slower. bf3 stutters suddenly and i get lag even watching youtube video. my res is 1280X1024 which is not high at all! i'd really like to find out what the problem is...
m
0
l
30 March 2013 13:01:11

Avinoam73 said:
i know multiplayer is more cpu based, but i feel like i'm getting lower FPS than i should, i mean in bfbc2 i'm defiantly getting lower fps because i remember it being caped to 60 fps on max settings and now it seems to be running on 30-50. besides, i feel like my pc performance has gottne slower. bf3 stutters suddenly and i get lag even watching youtube video. my res is 1280X1024 which is not high at all! i'd really like to find out what the problem is...


this is because ............... 1000s of possible cause
virus bacgroung apps hdd file fragmantation driver file missing corruption etc just to name few

in your situation i would do a image resore or complete reinstall to gain previou performance
m
0
l
30 March 2013 13:46:12

OPP said:
Avinoam73 said:
i know multiplayer is more cpu based, but i feel like i'm getting lower FPS than i should, i mean in bfbc2 i'm defiantly getting lower fps because i remember it being caped to 60 fps on max settings and now it seems to be running on 30-50. besides, i feel like my pc performance has gottne slower. bf3 stutters suddenly and i get lag even watching youtube video. my res is 1280X1024 which is not high at all! i'd really like to find out what the problem is...


this is because ............... 1000s of possible cause
virus bacgroung apps hdd file fragmantation driver file missing corruption etc just to name few

in your situation i would do a image resore or complete reinstall to gain previou performance

wait... what? everything you said i have already done, but what were the last few? image resore? complete reinstall of what?
m
0
l
30 March 2013 13:47:47

he means its time to reinstall windows or do a system restore (search in your start menu search box)
m
0
l
30 March 2013 13:53:54

no! that's way to drastic! why would i do that? i still have about 180 GB of free space on my pc so why should i do a reboot?
m
0
l
30 March 2013 13:56:16

besides, i don't have a restore point so it doesn't matter...
m
0
l
30 March 2013 14:01:23

well if you can't find a virus...you ran spy bot and no malware....if your hard drive is defragged....if you reinstalled drivers (clean install)....you have no restore point....fresh installation of windows is all that is left to rule out a software issue. and if that doesn't fix it it means its hardware. trouble shooting 101...elimanate one thing at a time easiest to hardest.....your just to the hard part is all. it stinks but its life!
m
0
l
30 March 2013 17:12:10

Check if its the CPU or GPU than hits 100% usage when you get the lag & or run some benchmarks to see if you get the results you should for your system.
m
0
l
30 March 2013 17:23:23

how can i run benchamrk?? as for usage, the catalyst panel showed about 96%-98% usage while the windows gadget thingy showed 78-79% from cpu usage.
m
0
l
30 March 2013 19:13:45

guys this is getting worse by the minute: i just found out that when i try to watch videos in full screen 1080p the video lags and stutters and it's like it's not synchronized! i'm starting to worry something happened to my gpu! please help!!!
m
0
l
30 March 2013 23:02:05

Avinoam73 said:
guys this is getting worse by the minute: i just found out that when i try to watch videos in full screen 1080p the video lags and stutters and it's like it's not synchronized! i'm starting to worry something happened to my gpu! please help!!!


i don't want to sound like a broken record but a windows reload is about all that is left to rule out a software issue. if it doesn't fix things you know your gpu is about to die.
m
0
l
31 March 2013 00:18:07

Avinoam73 said:
how can i run benchamrk?? as for usage, the catalyst panel showed about 96%-98% usage while the windows gadget thingy showed 78-79% from cpu usage.


What are you running when you got this reading?
m
0
l
31 March 2013 02:30:44

i found a lot of similar posts to yours about aero disabling itself. try reading this
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=...
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...

short anwser there is an auto disable for compatibility mode. you need to turn that off. though for the record i disable aero when i play games to increase my frame rate. but that just me, if you want aero on 24/7 i am hapy to help. let me know if these steps helped
m
0
l
31 March 2013 11:49:54

ok ok ok... let me understand:
1. simon12- to get the GPU stats i used the catalyst control panel (the AMD driver) and it says there was between 96-98 percent usage. as for the cpu, well windows 7 has gadget like things that you can put on your desktop. one of them was something that would tell you the usage of your CPU and RAM. that's what i used to take the info from.
2. atomicWAR- i'm sorry but i don't know what's a windows reload, i already told you that i don't have a backup point because every time i tried it would fail. and what do you mean my GPU is dying? he's one year old! what do you think happened to him so fast?
3. i don't understand what the windows aero has to do with anything... but i did install an old game somewhere around the time the problem started.. i had to install some software and change the comparability mode for that certain thing... do you think it has something to do with that?
thanks for the replies guys!!
m
0
l
31 March 2013 12:52:28

Avinoam73 said:
ok ok ok... let me understand:
1. simon12- to get the GPU stats i used the catalyst control panel (the AMD driver) and it says there was between 96-98 percent usage. as for the cpu, well windows 7 has gadget like things that you can put on your desktop. one of them was something that would tell you the usage of your CPU and RAM. that's what i used to take the info from.
2. atomicWAR- i'm sorry but i don't know what's a windows reload, i already told you that i don't have a backup point because every time i tried it would fail. and what do you mean my GPU is dying? he's one year old! what do you think happened to him so fast?
3. i don't understand what the windows aero has to do with anything... but i did install an old game somewhere around the time the problem started.. i had to install some software and change the comparability mode for that certain thing... do you think it has something to do with that?
thanks for the replies guys!!


reloading windows means reinstalling the operating system to default with the windows disk.

as for the potential of your gpu dieing...its possible it was defective and died early, got uneven power from a non-quality power supply or wasn't cooled properly in your case causing damage....now it could be your windows install....that's my first guess and why i said you should re install windows.
m
0
l
31 March 2013 13:05:07

ok.. but what was that aero thing you were talking about?
m
0
l
31 March 2013 13:13:44

aero can disable itself when a game wants more resources....you can disable that though as well....i suggest letting aero disable while you game because you will get higher frames per second since your GPU is not rendering transperancy and other aero affects. but if you insist this is how to disable aero from disabling (lol)

Force Enable Aero in Windows 7
1. Click on Start and type regedit at run

2. Now Navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM

3. In the right details pane, create following Three DWORD (32-bit value) entry
UseMachineCheck, and set its value to 0.
Blur, and set its value to 0.
Animations, and set its value to 0.

4. Close Regedit

5. Click on Start and type CMD with administrative Priviliges

6. Now type following command
Net Stop uxsms
Net Start uxsms
Above command will stop and start Desktop Window Manager Session Manager.

7. Now you can turn on Aero by right clicking on Desktop -> Personalize -> Select Windows Colors
m
0
l
31 March 2013 13:20:12

thanks, but i never asked for this!! i just wanted to understand why you were talking about it in the first place!
also, do you think cleaning (i mean cleaning the case from dust) can do anything? i mean, my card wasn't overheating, but do you think it can help?
by the way, i REALLY appreciate your help dud, thank you very much!
m
0
l

Best solution

31 March 2013 13:46:15

dust can cause more problems then over heating like carbon bridges (shorts)....so dust bad! never hurts to keep your pc/laptop dust free.
Share
31 March 2013 15:19:59

DUDE, i can't believe it, IT WORKED! i vacuumed my pc and now he works better than ever! you were so damn helpful bro, i marked your last post as best answer but you deserve a medal or something for sticking with me! thank you so much! :) 
m
0
l
31 March 2013 15:21:19

Avinoam73 said:
DUDE, i can't believe it, IT WORKED! i vacuumed my pc and now he works better than ever! you were so damn helpful bro, i marked your last post as best answer but you deserve a medal or something for sticking with me! thank you so much! :) 


anytime brother happy to help and thanks for solution credit its appreciated ;) 
m
0
l
31 March 2013 15:30:36

no problem bro! you deserve it!!
m
0
l
31 March 2013 15:32:44

thanks...trouble shootin takes time....sometimes you get lucky and nail it first thing but frequently its like today....rule one thing out at a time and tell you hit pay dirt, or you get a hammer and break it for good ;) 
m
0
l