Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Are these components good enough to game with ?

Last response: in Systems
Share
14 March 2013 11:04:27

Hello i recently wanted to try and build a decent gaming computer and im not too sure about what hardware is the best to buy and i want the experience and knowledge of building my own so im just looking for help, particularly if they worth it or if they will actually work together and if they dont whats an alternative.
At the moment i have selected a few components to go into my system these being:
MD athlon 2 X2 250 3.0Ghz Dual core - Asus M5a78L-M USB3 HDMI motherboard -4GB DDR£- bundle

Asus Geforce GT 610 Nvidia Graphics card ( 1GB DDR£, PCI express 2.0, low profile, HDMI, DVI-1,VGA,DirectX 11.0, openGL 4.2, Dustproof Fan, Uper alloy power

harkoon T9 value blue edition PC housing Midi tower ATX USB 3.0 black

Corsair CMPU-600CXV2UK Builder series 600W power supply

More about : components good game

14 March 2013 11:08:31

What you have selected is quite old, if you provide a budget and country of residence we might be able to help better.
14 March 2013 11:15:59

You will not be able to enjoy modern games with those parts. I am guessing you have a very low budget; my suggestion to you is to fill out the sticky on How to Ask for New Build Advice in order to get the most relevant suggestions.
Quick and dirty suggestions: The weakest graphics card you should consider for games is either a GDDR5 version of the HD6670 or GT640. A 380W Antec Earthwatts can run up to a HD7850 or GTX650Ti.
Check around for deals on a Phenom II X5 965. I think I saw a $79 price at Superbiz recently.
Related resources
14 March 2013 11:19:40

you need something way higher than GT610 gpu,
do yourself a favor and get atleast a hd6670 gddr5 version to be able to game at 1080p on mid to high settings,
preferably a gtx650 or higher, if you are looking to save money some radeon mid range models will give you a litte better performance per dollar,
610 is a desktop/ htpc card that has no real horsepower for gaming... you can run minecraft and older games with it :) 
the 600w PSU is enough to even handle a gtx680 but just... and don't save money on PSU's so dont get anything lower to save money
nowadays you will want a quadcore... the 4300/6300 are good budget oriented gaming cpu's
but you can live with a dual core if you dont care about performance much - i recently played far cry 3 on max settings with a e7200 overclocked to 3.2 ghz - it was stuttering a bit but was fully playable
4GB of ram is all you need for games right now... but don't go any lower
14 March 2013 11:22:48

somerville07 said:
Hello i recently wanted to try and build a decent gaming computer and im not too sure about what hardware is the best to buy and i want the experience and knowledge of building my own so im just looking for help, particularly if they worth it or if they will actually work together and if they dont whats an alternative.
At the moment i have selected a few components to go into my system these being:
MD athlon 2 X2 250 3.0Ghz Dual core - Asus M5a78L-M USB3 HDMI motherboard -4GB DDR£- bundle

Asus Geforce GT 610 Nvidia Graphics card ( 1GB DDR£, PCI express 2.0, low profile, HDMI, DVI-1,VGA,DirectX 11.0, openGL 4.2, Dustproof Fan, Uper alloy power

harkoon T9 value blue edition PC housing Midi tower ATX USB 3.0 black

Corsair CMPU-600CXV2UK Builder series 600W power supply
The CPU is very underpowered for modern gaming as is your selected GPU. I think you'll need to think again. Why don't you just say what you're budget is and what games you want to play.

Mike

EDIT: if your budget is very low then it might be worth looking at the AMD A10-6800K which should be released this week.
14 March 2013 11:25:38

Michael Robinson said:
somerville07 said:
Hello i recently wanted to try and build a decent gaming computer and im not too sure about what hardware is the best to buy and i want the experience and knowledge of building my own so im just looking for help, particularly if they worth it or if they will actually work together and if they dont whats an alternative.
At the moment i have selected a few components to go into my system these being:
MD athlon 2 X2 250 3.0Ghz Dual core - Asus M5a78L-M USB3 HDMI motherboard -4GB DDR£- bundle

Asus Geforce GT 610 Nvidia Graphics card ( 1GB DDR£, PCI express 2.0, low profile, HDMI, DVI-1,VGA,DirectX 11.0, openGL 4.2, Dustproof Fan, Uper alloy power

harkoon T9 value blue edition PC housing Midi tower ATX USB 3.0 black

Corsair CMPU-600CXV2UK Builder series 600W power supply
The CPU is very underpowered for modern gaming as is your selected GPU. I think you'll need to think again. Why don't you just say what you're budget is and what games you want to play.

Mike



I dont really have a budget to confirm, and i dont really know what an understandable budget is. And as for the games i would like to play it could range from minecraft, sims3, sim city, similar games along that line thanks for the advise
14 March 2013 11:36:41

i would say around £600 ould be a budget not too fussed if it goes over a little, and i was just looking at another motherboard and wondered whether an asus sabretooth z77 is anygood with an AMD FX 6100 6 core processor.

Best solution

Anonymous
14 March 2013 13:59:59
Share

A z77 motherboard is not compatible with an amd motherboard.

I'll make a list without prcies for moderate gaming.

Amd Athlon x4 740 : This is a nice cheap quad core. Many modern games start to make use of more then 2 cores and this is the cheapest modern quad core out there that wil give you plenty of performance overall.

AMD Radeon HD7850 : The radeon 7850 is a great midrange card and wil be able to play most games on the highest settings. There are many vendors for this videocard so i would just take the cheapest.

Asrock A75 PRO4-M : Great motherboard for it´s price nuff said.

Memory : 2x 4GB Don´t care which you get just get DDR3

Case : The case that you chose is great.

Optical drive : Standard lite-on i don´t care

HDD : If you have 1 that is fine if not buy a 1 Tb hardrive from either seagate or western digital.

PSU : XFX PRO 550W will be the best friend you will ever have.
14 March 2013 14:35:13

With a 600 GBP budget, you should be able to get something like an Intel i3-3225 and a HD7870 or GTX660. Newer games like having more cores though, so you may wish to consider an AMD FX-6300. If you choose a locked Intel CPU like the i3, a B75 or H77 mobo would be fine; you want a 900-series chipset board (970 or 990) for AMD. Look for one with all-solid capacitors. I prefer Asus, ASRock, or Gigabyte.
Even though it is smaller, I trust a 500W Seasonic- or Delta-built EA-500/EA-500D over a 600W CWT-built Corsair "Builder;" the Corsairs include some inferior Samxon capacitors known to fail early. If you choose a lesser graphics card like a HD7850 or GTX650Ti, an even smaller 380W Earthwatts will be sufficient. To provide some upgrade room, the Seasonic-built XFX Pro 550W that McCheeseBuilder described would be another excellent choice.
15 March 2013 14:35:19

Anonymous said:
A z77 motherboard is not compatible with an amd motherboard.

I'll make a list without prcies for moderate gaming.

Amd Athlon x4 740 : This is a nice cheap quad core. Many modern games start to make use of more then 2 cores and this is the cheapest modern quad core out there that wil give you plenty of performance overall.

AMD Radeon HD7850 : The radeon 7850 is a great midrange card and wil be able to play most games on the highest settings. There are many vendors for this videocard so i would just take the cheapest.

Asrock A75 PRO4-M : Great motherboard for it´s price nuff said.

Memory : 2x 4GB Don´t care which you get just get DDR3

Case : The case that you chose is great.

Optical drive : Standard lite-on i don´t care

HDD : If you have 1 that is fine if not buy a 1 Tb hardrive from either seagate or western digital.

PSU : XFX PRO 550W will be the best friend you will ever have.


Thank you very much for your help the parts you mentioned will be the ones i order.
Anonymous
15 March 2013 14:42:11

As long as you are sure it's what you want. It should play the sims 3 fine anyway. I would definitly not spent 600 pounds on a pc on which you will play the sims 3 lol.
15 March 2013 14:46:16

Anonymous said:
As long as you are sure it's what you want. It should play the sims 3 fine anyway. I would definitly not spent 600 pounds on a pc on which you will play the sims 3 lol.


Haha, well i dont really need a powerful one because it is very unlikely i will play any FPS but other than that the games could range