Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Good Gaming Rig?

Last response: in Components
Share
12 March 2013 17:14:18

Hello,

I have chosen these components for my first PC and I was wondering whether they were good for gaming. Any help appreciated and if you have any alternatives please list them in your answer

Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80637i53350P

ASUS P8B75-V LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

XFX Double D FX-787A-CDFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10D-8GTX

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M2 RS620-SPM2E3-US 620W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

NZXT Phantom 410 CA-PH410-W1 White Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Total- $865.92 €664.83

More about : good gaming rig

12 March 2013 17:17:24

That looks great, but I would try to squeeze a Solid State Hard Drive into the build if you can.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
12 March 2013 17:24:17

The1337Newbie said:
Hello,

I have chosen these components for my first PC and I was wondering whether they were good for gaming. Any help appreciated and if you have any alternatives please list them in your answer

Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80637i53350P

ASRock Z77 Pro4-M LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

XFX Double D FX-787A-CDFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10D-8GTX

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M2 RS620-SPM2E3-US 620W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

NZXT Phantom 410 CA-PH410-W1 White Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Total- $869.92 €667.72

Looks good - you should pay the extra for the i5-3570K, though. You may want to overclock in the future. You could try to squeeze an SSD in there, but I wouldn't worry about it - the only way that helps gaming is cutting your load times in half. You can always add a cache-SSD in the future, too. That's what I did - works like a charm for me.
m
0
l
Related resources
12 March 2013 17:26:55

jessterman21 said:
The1337Newbie said:
Hello,

I have chosen these components for my first PC and I was wondering whether they were good for gaming. Any help appreciated and if you have any alternatives please list them in your answer

Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80637i53350P

ASRock Z77 Pro4-M LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

XFX Double D FX-787A-CDFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10D-8GTX

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M2 RS620-SPM2E3-US 620W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

NZXT Phantom 410 CA-PH410-W1 White Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Total- $869.92 €667.72

Looks good - you should pay the extra for the i5-3570K, though. You may want to overclock in the future. You could try to squeeze an SSD in there, but I wouldn't worry about it - the only way that helps gaming is cutting your load times in half. You can always add a cache-SSD in the future, too. That's what I did - works like a charm for me.

Agreed with Jester. get the i5-3570k. The z77 board is for overclocking. If you don't get the unlocked proc then there really isn't any reason to get a z77 board.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
12 March 2013 17:30:07

Either swap the motherboard to an H77 equipped chipset, or change the CPU to a 3570k. The 3350p CPU has very little overclocking capabilities, so it would be best paired with the H77 board, or you will want the 3570k CPU(which has an unlocked multiplier) to be able to be overclocked with the z77 board. If you opt for the 3570k CPU, you'll also want something like the Hyper 212 Evo to cool it with down the road.

There is no reason to use ddr3 2400 ram, unless you plan on playing the one game that will actually benefit from it.

Change the brand on the PSU. Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, Corsair, XFX, OCZ are all solid brands that I'm sure you can find for about the same price. The wattage is probably right where you want it though.
Share
12 March 2013 17:33:27

Yeah you're right I'll probably swap the 3350p for a 3570k it would bring the price up to $905.92 €695.87. I can't believe how much better it is to build your own PC can't believe I was going to buy an Alienware x51
m
0
l
12 March 2013 17:34:21

Swordkd said:
Either swap the motherboard to an H77 equipped chipset, or change the CPU to a 3570k. The 3350p CPU has very little overclocking capabilities, so it would be best paired with the H77 board, or you will want the 3570k CPU(which has an unlocked multiplier) to be able to be overclocked with the z77 board. If you opt for the 3570k CPU, you'll also want something like the Hyper 212 Evo to cool it with down the road.

There is no reason to use ddr3 2400 ram, unless you plan on playing the one game that will actually benefit from it.

Change the brand on the PSU. Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, Corsair, XFX, OCZ are all solid brands that I'm sure you can find for about the same price. The wattage is probably right where you want it though.


+1 good call on the ram and psu brand.
m
0
l
12 March 2013 17:35:33

Sorry Rojo but very few games will benefit from an ssd as far as gaming and zero games are going to benefit from the differences in a 7200 rpm and raptor (10,000 rpm) hdd. The money is better spent towards the gpu or cpu/mobo combo.

*personally* I would stick with a basic 7200 rpm western digital (1TB) for storage and add a 250 GB ssd for the os and a few games in the future.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
12 March 2013 17:41:04

Roughly the same budget. Went with ddr3 1866 because it's actually cheaper than 1600, and still cas 9. Not sure if it has a heatsink spreader on it, but it won't matter. Included the SSD drive. Also dropped the video card to a vanilla 7870(non-ghz edition). If you feel comfortable, you can overclock it yourself and regain the difference in performance. Or, you could swap it out for a 7950 and drop the SSD for better overall gaming performance.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($47.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($75.83 @ Compuvest)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $941.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-12 13:42 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
12 March 2013 17:47:04

Here's the updated rig

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

MSI Z77A-G41 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

XFX Double D FX-787A-CDFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

NZXT Phantom 410 CA-PH410-W1 White Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Total- $882.93 €678.036

m
0
l
12 March 2013 17:50:50

Good except go with the Z77 board Swordkd linked above. The whole purpose of a z77 board is overclocking capabilities to match with your 3570K Processor that is (unlocked) for overclocking ;) .

Think of the B in B75 as Business. It's a Business oriented mobo you'd find in a workplace desktop.
m
0
l
12 March 2013 17:52:13

The motherboard you chose does not very clock very well. So keep that in mind. If you change CPUs or want to OC other parts you should select a better motherboard. Otherwise, with the CPU you listed its fine.
m
0
l
12 March 2013 18:01:25

Sorry I'm a noob this is my first build but I edited the motherboard it is now a z77
m
0
l
12 March 2013 18:48:23

The rig looks great, but I would go with the i5-3570k as well, I have it and the boost from the stock overclocking on my mother board makes it unreal, without the work of actually changing all the voltages yourself, etc. And I would for sure, 100% add a SSD to the rig no doubt whatsoever. Its pretty much a must if you are going to spend the money on the other components
m
0
l
12 March 2013 20:10:20

techbaddie said:
The rig looks great, but I would go with the i5-3570k as well, I have it and the boost from the stock overclocking on my mother board makes it unreal, without the work of actually changing all the voltages yourself, etc. And I would for sure, 100% add a SSD to the rig no doubt whatsoever. Its pretty much a must if you are going to spend the money on the other components


What does an SSD do? Is it better to have one on its own or should I pair it with a hard drive?

m
0
l
12 March 2013 20:16:19

The1337Newbie said:
techbaddie said:
The rig looks great, but I would go with the i5-3570k as well, I have it and the boost from the stock overclocking on my mother board makes it unreal, without the work of actually changing all the voltages yourself, etc. And I would for sure, 100% add a SSD to the rig no doubt whatsoever. Its pretty much a must if you are going to spend the money on the other components


What does an SSD do? Is it better to have one on its own or should I pair it with a hard drive?



In short and without getting technical. It dramatically improves your load times. Nothing else. So for instance... Instead of taking 1 minute to boot, you boot in 20 seconds. To bring up a paper that is 50 pages and word usually loads for 15-30 seconds. It would load instantly. Thats it. And it all depends... Usually people will get an SSD put the OS on it (for fast boot times) and a few programs (that they want to load instantly) It's not necessary for a gaming machine; however, once you have one... You'll likely never go back. The reason they pair an SSD with an HDD is you can get a 1 tb HDD for cheap. ($60ish) for storage. Where as an SSD is closer to $100 for a 120 GB one.
m
0
l
12 March 2013 20:20:26

unoriginal1 said:
The1337Newbie said:
techbaddie said:
The rig looks great, but I would go with the i5-3570k as well, I have it and the boost from the stock overclocking on my mother board makes it unreal, without the work of actually changing all the voltages yourself, etc. And I would for sure, 100% add a SSD to the rig no doubt whatsoever. Its pretty much a must if you are going to spend the money on the other components


What does an SSD do? Is it better to have one on its own or should I pair it with a hard drive?



In short and without getting technical. It dramatically improves your load times. Nothing else. So for instance... Instead of taking 1 minute to boot, you boot in 20 seconds. To bring up a paper that is 50 pages and word usually loads for 15-30 seconds. It would load instantly. Thats it. And it all depends... Usually people will get an SSD put the OS on it (for fast boot times) and a few programs (that they want to load instantly) It's not necessary for a gaming machine; however, once you have one... You'll likely never go back. The reason they pair an SSD with an HDD is you can get a 1 tb HDD for cheap. ($60ish) for storage. Where as an SSD is closer to $100 for a 120 GB one.


Thanks unoriginal1 I'll probably not get the SSD at first and if I find I want faster boot and load times I'll get one after my PC is up and running
m
0
l
12 March 2013 20:23:49

Your welcome. You've put together a hell of a machine and your going to love it's performance in games. It closely matches the machine i built for my friend about a month ago. Also gotta say good job on coming here first and asking questions. We get a lot of I already built my machine why isn't it up to par questions ;) . Come back when you get ready to build if you have any questions!
m
0
l
12 March 2013 21:04:15

unoriginal1 said:
Your welcome. You've put together a hell of a machine and your going to love it's performance in games. It closely matches the machine i built for my friend about a month ago. Also gotta say good job on coming here first and asking questions. We get a lot of I already built my machine why isn't it up to par questions ;) . Come back when you get ready to build if you have any questions!


I will definitely do that. I probably won't start building until August-October I need to save up the money first. Thanks for all the help I'll recommend this site to my friends
m
0
l
12 March 2013 21:25:47

The1337Newbie said:
unoriginal1 said:
Your welcome. You've put together a hell of a machine and your going to love it's performance in games. It closely matches the machine i built for my friend about a month ago. Also gotta say good job on coming here first and asking questions. We get a lot of I already built my machine why isn't it up to par questions ;) . Come back when you get ready to build if you have any questions!


I will definitely do that. I probably won't start building until August-October I need to save up the money first. Thanks for all the help I'll recommend this site to my friends


Sounds good. Just an FYI. If your waiting that long to do your build. You may want to re make your buying list at that time ;) . As fast as technology changes things will be outdated by then. For example. The i5370K (ivy bridge) is going to be replaced by (haswell) Intel's new chip around June'sh There is also a new line of video cards coming out soon. As to when those drop im not sure. Just re post again when you got your funds ready.
m
0
l
12 March 2013 21:29:49

unoriginal1 said:
The1337Newbie said:
unoriginal1 said:
Your welcome. You've put together a hell of a machine and your going to love it's performance in games. It closely matches the machine i built for my friend about a month ago. Also gotta say good job on coming here first and asking questions. We get a lot of I already built my machine why isn't it up to par questions ;) . Come back when you get ready to build if you have any questions!


I will definitely do that. I probably won't start building until August-October I need to save up the money first. Thanks for all the help I'll recommend this site to my friends


Sounds good. Just an FYI. If your waiting that long to do your build. You may want to re make your buying list at that time ;) . As fast as technology changes things will be outdated by then. For example. The i5370K (ivy bridge) is going to be replaced by (haswell) Intel's new chip around June'sh There is also a new line of video cards coming out soon. As to when those drop im not sure. Just re post again when you got your funds ready.


Thanks again will do
m
0
l