Samsung Galaxy W Arriving on 3UK in September
3UK has added another Galaxy to its upcoming line of smartphones.
3UK has revealed that it will start selling the just-announced Galaxy W starting next month. The company has added the new smartphone to its 'Coming Soon' pages along with a September due date. The phone joins the Galaxy S2 and the Xperia Ray as part of next month's lineup and packs a a 3.7-inch WVGA touchscreen, a 1.4GHz CPU, 4GB of storage, a 5-megapixel camera, and Android 2.3 (aka Gingerbread).
Announced yesterday as just one of four new Gingerbread handsets (the W was joined by the Galaxy M Pro, the Galaxy Y and the Galaxy Y Pro), Samsung also took the time to lay the foundation for a new naming strategy for its handsets. The letter following the Galaxy moniker now stands for the category Samsung has assigned that specific phone to. For example, The 'W' stands for Wonder while the Galaxy S phones are 'Super Smart." Check out the full naming scheme below.
- "S" (Super Smart) – Devices at the very pinnacle of Samsung's mobile portfolio. This class will only be used on flagship devices such as the Samsung Galaxy S, the award-winning smartphone that has already sold 10 million units throughout the world.
· "R" (Royal / Refined) – Premium category models, a combination of power, performance and productivity for the individual who wants to be defined by the technology they carry.
· "W" (Wonder) – High quality, strategic models, perfect for those seeking a balance between style and performance.
· "M" (Magical) –High-performance models at an economic price-point.
· "Y" (Young) – These are entry models or strategic models for emerging markets or a younger audience more sensitive to price.
Samsung's head of Mobile Communications said that the naming scheme was introduced so that customers can easily identify the phones in the Galaxy line.
"As Samsung continues to innovate, our goal is to provide consumers with an experience uniquely tailored to their needs. We have introduced steps to ensure users can simply identify the device designed to deliver the perfect experience for them," said JK Shin, President and Head of Samsung's Mobile Communications Business.
So, any interest in this wondrous smartphone?