The long-awaited third installment to the Dungeon Siege action/rpg series head to retail in May.
After nearly five years since the release of Dungeon Siege 2: Broken World, the third installment to Chris Taylor's popular action/RPG franchise is finally heading to the Windows PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on May 31, 2011.
Unlike the previous installments, Dungeon Siege 3 was developed by Obsidian Entertainment, the studio behind Fallout: New Vegas, Neverwinter Nights 2 and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2. The game will also be published under a new roof-- Square Enix-- rather than Microsoft Game Studios (2K Games actually published the Dungeon Siege 2 expansion). Originally Gas Powered Games developed the first two Dungeon Siege chapters and their expansion packs.
That said, what will the classic action/RPG franchise offer gamers with a new developer and publisher at the helm? There's at least one small glimmer of hope: Chris Taylor, the creator of the original Dungeon Siege, served as an adviser during the game's development. Square Enix also seems to think Dungeon Siege 3 will be the best yet.
"Dungeon Siege has returned and it’s better than ever," said Ami Blaire, vice president of marketing at Square Enix, Inc. "We [Square Enix] have partnered with Obsidian to bring this critically acclaimed classic franchise back in an all new, re-imagined form. With its heart-pounding action, epic lore and an endless variety of quests, Dungeon Siege 3 is a must-have for any video game collection."
Five retailers are now offering pre-order programs for Dungeon Siege 3, serving up various goodies for gamers who reserve their copies early. The list is as follows:
- Receive two exclusive in-game items by pre-ordering at GameStop
- Burning Band of Scorch: This exclusive pre-order in-game ring increases the raw damage of a player’s attacks and sets all foes ablaze with any weapon.
- Talisman of the Grand Mage: This exclusive pre-order in-game necklace reduces incoming damage on the player and grants the ability to lash out with a mystical attack that injures enemies in close-range combat.
- Relive the classic DUNGEON SIEGE I and DUNGEON SIEGE II games as a gift with purchase through Steam
- Players who prepurchase DUNGEON SIEGE III will get three games for the price of one, as Valve will offer single-player versions of both DUNGEON SIEGE I and DUNGEON SIEGE II as free downloads for PC platforms.
- Receive a limited pre-order exclusive in-game ring
- Bite of the Arakun: Grants the player the ability to poison enemies with lingering injury or soften their defenses, leaving them vulnerable for follow-up attacks.
- Another exclusive pre-order in-game amulet
- Sacred Heart of the Legion: Increases a player’s health and pushes close combat assailants back each time the bearer is struck in battle.
- Mini-comic and strategy guide
- Pick up the DUNGEON SIEGE mini-comic from Dark Horse Comics and a free mini-strategy guide from Prima Games with a pre-order at Walmart.